Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My last Question Regarding My Europe Trip (for those who have been there please look)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My last Question Regarding My Europe Trip (for those who have been there please look)

Old 10-10-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this question in another thread but never got an answer so I hope someone can answer this. For the guys that have been to europe do you recommend purchasing a prepaid visa card to use to buy stuff? Or would this make it confusing b/c it would be in us dollars and the converssion would screw it up or would it adjust accordingly. I know most people have said just withdraw cash from your debit card when you need it but I want to have more than one option to get/use money so I thought a prepaid visa card would be a good idear. But I don't know if it's good in theory but not very practicial. Thank you
Old 10-10-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i would guess most places take credit cards. but there are some that charge a fee everytime you buy it in a different currency so check for that.
Old 10-10-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When I went to Paris & Normandy, I pretty much used my normal Visa for everything... exchange rate was great without any significant fee.

Just make sure you call the Visa company and let them know you're traveling overseas so they don't reject the transaction as fraud.
Old 10-10-06, 10:44 PM

I've never been to another country (except Canada when I was young) so I don't know anything. But have lots of fun!
Old 10-10-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really varies place to place. I was just in London and Paris about 6 weeks ago, and a lot of places have minimum purchase amounts now -- so it's recommended that you carry cash AND a credit card.
Old 10-10-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just use your regular credit card - it's the easiest way to do it.
Old 10-11-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use your regular credit or debit card. Those prepaid ones may not work outside the U.S. and may have fees associated with it if they do. Read the fine print if you intend to go that route.
Old 10-11-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't rely on credit cards for purchases. they are great as ATM cards thought for getting local currency
Old 10-11-06, 02:27 AM

I used my credit card for a bunch of stuff, American Express and Visa and had zero problems. I wouldn't be using credit cards as ATM carsds though, that's just a cash advance. Just use your regular ATM card. But like stated above, find out if your bank has any fees for foreign purchases, same with your ATM card. Most ATMs are on the Plus or Star system. Just look at the back of your card and make sure the ATM you're using has a symbol that matches your card.

One thing you don't want is Traveler's Checks, people avoid them like the plague over there. I had a hard time cashing them anywhere other than a bank or exchange booth.
Old 10-11-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I went this summer I used my VISA card, which I think charged 3-5% per purchase. As for my debit card, that was brutal. Once you factored in each bank's fees, it basically cost me $7 per withdrawal. I think some banks have sister banks etc. overseas where the fees might be lower or non-existent, but I couldn't find them. Also, make sure you let your bank know that you're going overseas. Sometimes they automatically freeze your account when foreign charges appear as a fraud-protection thing unless they know in advance that the foreign charges are legit.
Old 10-11-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
I would use your regular credit or debit card. Those prepaid ones may not work outside the U.S. and may have fees associated with it if they do. Read the fine print if you intend to go that route.

why wouldn't the pre-paid ones work? B/c they're consdiered a credit card, you're just putting a balance on there before hand so you're limiting yourself, it's got the visa logo and everything on it saying that they're accepted anywhere where visas normally are.
Old 10-11-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redcat
When I went this summer I used my VISA card, which I think charged 3-5% per purchase. As for my debit card, that was brutal. Once you factored in each bank's fees, it basically cost me $7 per withdrawal. I think some banks have sister banks etc. overseas where the fees might be lower or non-existent, but I couldn't find them. Also, make sure you let your bank know that you're going overseas. Sometimes they automatically freeze your account when foreign charges appear as a fraud-protection thing unless they know in advance that the foreign charges are legit.

Why would there be a charge for using your credit card?....I was told if you take a cash withdrawal from either your credit or debti card there's a finance charge of the total amount youre withdrawing PLUS a regular set international fee which I beleive was 4.50 per withdrawal from Wells Fargo.
Old 10-11-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when I bought something out of USA, my bank charged me for money conversion - I don't remember how much it was. Check with your bank about that.
Old 10-11-06, 03:12 PM

FW thread on fees/foreign conversion for Credit Card use

This thread is a good resource. If you have mutiple Credit cards, bring the one with the least amount of fees. Apparently Capital One is the best for this type of situation of the major cards at 0% fees + the 1% MC/Visa Fee that everyone has. Have fun.
Old 10-12-06, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phatboy
why wouldn't the pre-paid ones work? B/c they're consdiered a credit card, you're just putting a balance on there before hand so you're limiting yourself, it's got the visa logo and everything on it saying that they're accepted anywhere where visas normally are.
Some prepaid cars are only good on internet purchases, some specifically say that they can only be used in the U.S.

Also when you purchase a prepaid credit card you don't always get the card right away. You have to send away for it in the mail which can take several weeks. American Express is one of the prepaids that you get the card at time of purchase, but that may not be taken by many retailers overseas.