Reload this Page >

Law Enforcement Agency Question: Jurisdiction

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-10-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So I was wondering the other day, as I'm entering an on ramp (the 10 freeway near Robertson in Los Angeles) and I notice a cop behind me. Not sure if he was CHP or not, I decide to coast at the speed limit of 65. He pulls into the next lane and passes me and I notice he's not CHP, heck, he's not even LAPD, but that's beside the point. So since he's not CHP, I decide to speed up and I'm passing him in the fast lane going 75 without even blinking. What jurisdiction does he have? He's not CHP so he can't pull me over for the infraction, can he? Could he pull me over if he was the Sheriff Department?

How does jurisdiction come into play? Been trying to search for some answers but each agency doesn't specify. My reasoning is that he would have no jurisdiction over my infraction (it being anything under a misdemeanor) and couldn't cite me. Of course, if he decided to then tail me and wait for me to exit, can he then pull me over?
Old 10-10-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't pretend to know the laws in Cali, but here in Texas...as a peace officer, I can act on any criminal offense commited in my presence. This does not include traffic stops, unless I have reasonable suspicion of a higher offense (DWI, possession, etc). In that case, I can make a stop and call for a unit from the agency whose jurisdiction I am in.

As for the sheriff's office question...a sheriff's deputy (again, at least in Texas) has all powers throughout the entire county, even in incorporated parts and can make as many traffic stops as he wants right in the middle of the city.

That being said, I can't bring myself to care about 75 on the freeway in my own jurisdiction, much less somebody else's.
Old 10-10-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^ pretty hit much nail on the head.

If an officer off duty/ out of jurisdiction sees something that can escalate into something big, they can call the city they are in and the city should be able to take over the situtation.
Old 10-10-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also a peace officer for my town. If he sees you doing something in his jurisdiction, starts to pull you over and has to follow you out of his jurisdiction, no questions asked he's got you. He's not going to bother with speeding unless it's reckless endangerment or suspected DUI. Off duty guys frequently make arrests.
Old 10-10-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ditto, a CA peace officer has peace officer powers throughout the entire state of CA. Most usually wouldn't bother anything small like that out of their jurisdiction, though they might radio a CHP. Speeding on a highway THROUGH their jurisdiction they can and might pull you over. That means LAPD or LA Sheriff in your case. Most wouldn't, I'd think (I wouldn't bother), unless they feel you're giving the a big "fuck you!" by blatantly blowing past them over the speed limit.

Best bet, if you see a cop (any cop) don't push it.
Old 10-11-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting answers. I've always just wondered. Mainly because I've never seen local PD pull anyone over for speeding on a highway. I have seen Sheriff tail people for a couple miles and waiting for them to exit, only to pull them over once they're off the highway. There's also a lot of times in CA where I see Santa Ana, Tustin, Compton PD on the 105 FWY near LAX, thinking.. damn, you're kinda far from homebase, aintcha?

I'll admit, I'm a speeder (avg. 80 mph), but only when traffic allows. I don't weave, I generally stay in one lane. So I'm probably not on anyone's radar, since I'm routinely passed by CHP, who cruise around like sharks looking for the one idiot weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 10-11-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only addition is that in the agency where I worked longest, we had many "poachers" that would pull people over on the highway, or just outside the city limits, because they were prime spots for speeders.

I'd say if the police car you see is from the same state where you are, treat it as if it was looking for someone to pull over.