Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Red Bull

Old 10-09-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Bull

Okay so recently I've been drinking Red Bull or Rock Star (small cans) at work...in the morning. One can daily. A co-worker gets them free so he has been kicking them down. I don't drink coffee and have definitely noticed the energy kick. I walk on my breaks and drink plenty of water during the day while eating lots of fruit. I don't drink soda. And I try to eat sensibly the rest of the day. This has been going on for about two weeks.

I stepped on the scale yesterday and have lost 9 lbs!

I'm 5'9 and weighed about 188 before this.....I work out and I'm a lttle on the muscular size.
My question, these energy drinks supress my appetite, so if I miss a lunch or severly decrease my caloric intake during worktime, am I doing any harm?

I work around a lot of obese people, who are doing the gastric-bypass surgery thang, I personally would never need to go to that extreme, but according to these people I should be weighing about a 150 LBs! (this coming from people that weigh 300 plus pounds but are suddenly experts on the subject due to the surgury or the consultations with their physicians prior to the surgury).

My doctor told me that it would be good to shed 10 to 15 lbs despite my muscular frame.

So is this healthy? I think I look and feel my best at about 175 lbs (4 pounds away from my target weight).Is a daily dose of Red Bull/Rockstar a bad thing?
What am I doing wrong?
I eat enough salads and (cooked) veggies.
Could this work for Gator Deb?

Last edited by JumpCutz; 10-09-06 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I feel my best at 225 and the charts say I should be 180. Screw the charts and get to where you feel good and are in good shape.
Old 10-09-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt you feel your best at 225. Be honest. You'd be a lot lighter, quicker, and have more energy at even 200 than 225. Pick up a 25-pound weight and walk around with it for a while. Now put it down. Extrapolate. $^)

Seriously, I'm right there too (at 225) and am shooting for about 200. (Maybe 190 eventually.) Although I'm used to being at 225-235, I still can tell that I'm slower and more weighted down at my current weight. Carrying that extra weight around means not being in as good shape as if it weren't there.
Old 10-09-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I feel my best at 225 and the charts say I should be 180. Screw the charts and get to where you feel good and are in good shape.
I'm with dave. BMI is NOT a set in stone figure, but merely a good guesstimate of what people should aim for.

As for Red Bull, etc.....eh, everything in moderation. Your body may get dependant on the sugar, caffeine, etc. The caffeine can be an appetite supprsessant, but your body will eventually adjust to that, and your metabolism would probably slow a bit to handle the lowered caloric intake.

-p
Old 10-09-06, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drmoze
I doubt you feel your best at 225. Be honest. You'd be a lot lighter, quicker, and have more energy at even 200 than 225. Pick up a 25-pound weight and walk around with it for a while. Now put it down. Extrapolate. $^)
Have you ever seen kvrdave? The guy may be 225, but he's only about 5% body fat.

A greek god, I tell ya.
Old 10-09-06, 09:47 PM
Banned

FYI - not too long ago, I ran a GC/MS on redbull to determine how much taurine and caffeine it had. Basically, one can has the caffeine equivilent of 5 cups of coffee and a barely detectible about of taurine. No comment, just information.
Old 10-09-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matta
Have you ever seen kvrdave? The guy may be 225, but he's only about 5% body fat.

A greek god, I tell ya.
My mistake. I was picturing that Klickitat Valley (is that *really* a place???) real estate guy, not a buff mass of muscle.

As for me, my "optimal" weight is also around 180 according to the charts, but I'd be wasting away there. At my current 225, though, I do have some extra body fat (28% according to the scale, however accurate that is), and it's definitely evident around my middle.
Old 10-10-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Okay so recently I've been drinking Red Bull or Rock Star (small cans) at work...in the morning.
They make RockStar in small cans? I've only ever seen the 16 and 24 oz sizes.
Is a daily dose of Red Bull/Rockstar a bad thing?
I drink them religiously. My ex was a pot-head, and a vegetarian...needless to say, her immune system was for shit. She was ALWAYS catching colds. One RockStar a day, and nothing, I never got sick. I chock it up to all the hippie ingredients....guarin, taurin, etc.
Old 10-10-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Don't drink red bull

2. MartinBlank- Your ex might be unaware that Vegetarians sometimes need to take supplements or change their diet somewhat in order to avoid deficiencies with some b vitamins and calcium.
Old 10-10-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And iron...low on iron. But it was ok to eat fish "cuz they don't have any feelings".
Old 10-10-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They make RockStar in small cans? I've only ever seen the 16 and 24 oz sizes.

I think they're for promotional use only, at least that's what I've been told.
My co-workers roommate is the college campus RockStar rep.

Last edited by JumpCutz; 10-10-06 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
And iron...low on iron. But it was ok to eat fish "cuz they don't have any feelings".
Is she still single?