Holy crap, Slim - Fast actually works!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-09-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly can't believe it.

I've been overweight my entire life, at least since I can remember, I see childhood photos of myself, looking "normal" but at some point I began eating more then some 3rd world countries.

I was at 300 lbs thru most of high school, and I can assure you, the kids never picked on me. Especially never during gym glass. Especially not in the lockerroom.

After high school, I worked a 3rd shift job for about a year, and ate horribly. I got up to around 320. Drank a LOT of soda, a LOT of soda. Like almost a 12 pack a day.

A few years back, I cut out soda. In about 3 months I dropped 20 pounds. Felt good. Then, in my brain, I figured "OH HEY ITS NOT MCDONALDS!! ITS THE SODA!" so I did the "Gimme a #2 supersized with a Diet Coke" routine

Then this year, I started walking after work, about 5 miles a day. Give or take a mile depending on the long or short route I could take.

Even that wasn't really helping, I lost a few pounds, but nothing great. And I even changed my diet. Nothing was getting rid of the weight. I was at 288, and felt stuck at that weight.

I put on about 8 more pounds that month, unsure exactly why, but just knew that I did. I went to the doctor about some chest pains/backpains and was diagnosed with high blood pressure and stress something or other. At age 26. I wasn't really cool with that. So I decided to start walking mroe , eating less, etc.

Still, it wasnt helping like I wanted to. My leg muscles were looking much nicer though.

So, I had an employee get injured outside of work, and even though her job is far below mine on the scale of things, her job is one that cannot be left uncovered, so I was put in her role until she gets back.

I decided that I probably should try to eat less since being on 3rd shift again leads to me eating garbage.

I saw Slim Fast meals to go in our cooler up front. So everyday I bought one for lunch, and actually it was quite filling, I was surprised. I weighed 295 at this point.

That was 3 weeks ago. I began substituting shakes for breakfast and lunch as instructed, and I have a nice dinner when I get home from work on 3rd shift. When I snack, its popcorn or fruit/veggies.

I weighed myself today. 281. Goddamn. I haven't weighed this much since high school! My goal is another 20 by the holidays, if not more.

I just can't believe it actually works.
Old 10-09-06, 05:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

wow thats really cool. They really keep you feeling full?
Old 10-09-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Three guys at my work did Nutrisystem with fantastic results. One guy dropped 20 in three months, another is working on about 60 since January. They said it's about $300 per month, which is pricey, but I figure I spend at least that much in groceries and going out for food. They said that knowing your food budget has also put a few extra bucks in their pockets as well. Another girl is doing the Slim Fast for b/l and Lean Cuisine for dinner, and she's lost alot of visible weight (I'd say about 30) in what seems like 4-5 months.

Just goes back to calories in < calories out = lose weight.
Old 10-09-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of those programs work. Several of my aunts and uncles have been doing weight watchers. All of them have lost over 20 pounds each.
Old 10-09-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many of those programs work if you keep consistent, HOWEVER....I wouldn't say something like Slim-Fast is a great long-term solution, especially considering the nutritional limitations. A better long term solution would involve nutritional education, meal planning, and regular exercise. Of course, many people aren't willing to do this.....but that is the best case long-term solution.

-p
Old 10-09-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

good job alan. Like peddy said, use it to get down to the weight you want, then then exercise and healthy meals keep you there.
Old 10-09-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the Slimfast and Stacker combo a few years back, and managed to drop 60-70 pounds in ~6 months. Unfortunately, I became bored with not eating (and especially drinking) and managed to put it all back on.
Old 10-09-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you at least have fun putting it back on?

-p
Old 10-09-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice work. Keep it up!
Old 10-09-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just stay away from World Of Warcraft.
Old 10-09-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Just stay away from World Of Warcraft.
Why on earth should he stay away from Warcraft?

Oh right...
Old 10-09-06, 07:20 PM

Congrats on your weight loss.

I've had slim fast & much prefer the old to the new. I'm not a big milk person though, like slightly lactose intolerant & anytime I have one I feel sick. Someone gave my mother a bunch of nutrisystem stuff for free & I tried a couple of things but it's very unappetizing, I would definitely rather eat Lean Cusine or Healthy Choice.
Old 10-09-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats man. I'm happy for you.

Slim fast gave me really bad gas...
Old 10-09-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, you're not eating enough sriracha.

Really, tho, spicy helps your metabolism. Maybe I need to send you another couple of bottles
Old 10-09-06, 08:15 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats, T-ball.

I can attest to the fact that the old tried-and-true healthy eating + exercise also really works.
Old 10-09-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I lost 35 pounds on Slim Fast before my wedding (16 years ago)-a sandwich for dinner, Slim Fast the rest of the time. But I put twice that much back over the years. Cool you're losing the weight, I just hope you do better than me at keeping it off.
Old 10-09-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

pedagogue

Many of those programs work if you keep consistent, HOWEVER....I wouldn't say something like Slim-Fast is a great long-term solution, especially considering the nutritional limitations. A better long term solution would involve nutritional education, meal planning, and regular exercise. Of course, many people aren't willing to do this.....but that is the best case long-term solution.

-p

Congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck, but any radical change in your diet will render short term results. You should be proud of your initial effort, but you could try just about any positive change to your eating habits and go from 295-281 in the first 3 weeks. Your body will soon adjust, though, and the Slim Fast concept will never be a viable long-term solution. Personally, I love their drinks, and they make for a good snack or meal replacement from time to time, but if you're really serious about this, you'll need a more realistic solution. Good luck to you, and keep up the positive effort.

das
Old 10-09-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you really want to lose weight, just ask GatorDeb. She's the expert.
Old 10-09-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats losing weight rules, but sucks doing it.
I lost over 100 lbs 4 yrs ago (walking about 1 hr a day, and eating less). Over the past few years I gained 30-40ish back... My max was a 54-56" waist dropped down to 42" now 46-48". I just started back up eating right and not going to bars as much(very painful thing since this is what my friends do unfortunately). May try slim fast since at work I dont get lunch breaks and work 12 hr days so i eat when I can but never get a full meal down in one sitting, a shake should be easy. I just had an appointment with a personal trainer (my triceps are cursing me right now). My weight now 333 goal to be less then 300 by new year. 250ish overall.
Old 10-10-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
If you really want to lose weight, just ask GatorDeb. She's the expert*.

*veggies not included
Old 10-10-06, 01:10 PM

I've never been a big fan of the Slim Fast Fad. If you don't excercise, its pointless. I have cut a lot of fat out of my diet and I put my self on a new diet of sorts. I read an article a few months about a guy who calls his meal plan the Kings Plan. Eat like a king for breakfast, a queen for lunch and a pauper for dinner. Eat healthy items and cut out the heavy fat and such and you will trim down. You also need to work your body to burn this all off and I do this by biking regularly. I did forty miles up and around Lake Washington and back. Good workout! I have started this plan and it works great. I've incorporated a high end protein smoothie for dinner. High Soy protein powder, two bananas, tablespoon of peanut butter, low fat/sugar Hersheys syrup (just a dash mind you), two tablespoons of Ovaltine, two cups of low fat vanilla yogurt and a two cups of fat free milk. Blend. Enjoy! I feel full at dinner time and not as bloated as before. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by kahuna415; 10-10-06 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes a few weeks ago and the doctor said I was still young enough (31) to keep it in check just by diet and excecise. Needless to say this sort of scared me. So I started going to the gym and doing 20 or so minutes of cardio a day and obviously watching what I eat. I haven't really noticed a weight loss but by my having to monitor my blood sugar twice a day it really helps me understand what I'm eating and how it affects my body. I guess we'll see how it goes but I hope to be slimming down quite a bit myself.
Old 10-10-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ANYTHING that reduces the amount of calories you take in will result in weight loss, whether it's Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, or just dieting on your own. The Simian One is right in saying that Slim Fast may produce results in the short run, but eventually you have to make permanent lifestyle changes involving real food.
Old 10-10-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Something a lot of people skip is a proper breakfast.

Just coffee doesn't cut it.

Just sugared cereals don't cut it.

Donuts, eggs and bacon, etc. definitely don't cut it.

My personal breakfast of choice is typically a bowl of mueslix or some other cereal high in whole grains - we don't eat enough whole grains on average, a tall glass of OJ, a piece of fruit and occasionally a second bowl of a sweeter grain cereal - like Great Grains or Granola. Alternatively, Oatmeal (not flavored oatmeal) with fresh fruit is a spectacular way to start your day. Plus a little oatmeal packs a bunch of energy.

I do have a cup of coffee every now and then as necessary, but on average I try to avoid that too.

And as many have said, exercise is a necessary step. The harder it works your heart - watch out that you don't overwork it, the better it is for maintaining or losing weight.

-ringding-
Old 10-10-06, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said ringding -- Breakfast is definitely the most important meal of the day. Also of important note is to focus on 5-6 small(er) meals rather than 2-3 large(r) ones. Helps increase metabolism.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.