I Feel Such a Need to Smack My Son's Teacher Upside the Head

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-09-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fuming right now.

My son is in 4th grade in a well-rated elementary school in our area.

Today, while in music class, he was partnered with a friend of his is putting together the pieces of a clarinet. Somewhere along the way, they made a mistake and the were unable to complete the assignment.

Their teacher walks over, looks at the job they've done, and then says, "Maybe next week you should each team with a smarter partner." All of the kids in the class start laughing at my son and his friend.

My son, who is alreadly has emotional issues, starts to cry and his friend feels like he's just been sucker punched.

What kind of an elementary school teacher walks around and insults the kids in the class?

While me and the friend's parents are trying to arrange a civilized four-way conference with the teacher and the school principal, I really do feel like punching this guy.

To be honest, I really don't think I'll be happy with anything but this guy's resignation. Any teacher that takes amusement in hurting children has no point being in a classroom.

Does anybody have any idea what usually happens in circumstances like these?

I don't want to overreact but no child deserves to be treated like that. Especially by someone whose job it is to help them learn and become self-reliant.
Old 10-09-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not going to defend the teacher, but are you sure that's exactly what he said? Maybe he said something else and your child misconstrued it.
Old 10-09-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately crosses the line. I'd set up the meeting and hear what the teacher has to say. If he's very apologetic I wouldn't look to getting the guy fired - especially if he is otherwise a good teacher. However I think he should certainly be disciplined.
Old 10-09-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Does anybody have any idea what usually happens in circumstances like these?
Don't forget the chain of command and don't expect that anyone will tell you what it is.

Go to the principal and if you are not completely satisfied, meet with the superintendent. If you aren't completely satisfied with the superintendent, tell the sup you want to appeal to the school board.

Again, at each meeting, no one will tell you, "If you don't like this, you can go talk to...." because they either assume you know, or want the issue to die there.
Old 10-09-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'm not going to defend the teacher, but are you sure that's exactly what he said? Maybe he said something else and your child misconstrued it.
Both kids heard the same thing. Neither child is prone to lying.

I'm going to check with the parents of a couple other kids in their class to verify it as well.
Old 10-09-06, 04:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the teacher's reaction when your son cried?
Old 10-09-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no issues with this teacher being disciplined, but resignation is too much. That should be reserved for abuse, chronic harrassment, endangerment, etc. A formal apology to you and your child as well as written reprimand seems like the appropriate action here. Be honest with yourself, if this wasn't YOUR child, would you feel so strongly?
Old 10-09-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
What was the teacher's reaction when your son cried?
He called him a pussy.
Old 10-09-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would insist that whatever punishment the teacher received included making an apology to your son and his friend in front of the class.
Old 10-09-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do understand your anger. If someone make my baby girl cry like that, I'd want his skull for a hood ornament.
Old 10-09-06, 05:10 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Some teachers are not all too bright.
Old 10-09-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
He called him a pussy.
Was that really called for???
Old 10-09-06, 05:15 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I would insist that whatever punishment the teacher received included making an apology to your son and his friend in front of the class.
i'd lobby for one of those "write such and such message on the board 100x" assignments. that'd be great.
Old 10-09-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with others that based on this event only a resignation is too much.

If this is an additional occurrence after other previous, reprimanded, occurrences then there would be more cause.

I think you have every right to be upset, though. If it happened as you described then it was definitely an inappropriate comment.

I agree w/ the other poster on following the chain of command.

I think a formal apology from the teacher to both kids in front of the class is definitely appropriate. Followed by the teacher using the opportunity to -teach- the class why his comments were wrong and insensitive and against the pedagogical intent of the school.
Old 10-09-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The one time my parents had to go to bat for me was when my Science Teacher pulled me aside during class and asked me if I was suicidal.

Her reasoning was: My handwriting was messy.

Now, I've always had bad handwriting. And it wasn't like the first week of class or anything, I had been in the class for months and my handwriting had always been messy. When I asked her more or less why on earth she would think that, she stated she had just read a book that said children with messy handwriting are more likely to be suicidal.

My parents and the parents of another student who had the same problem complained "up the chain" but the teacher was tenured and nothing happened to her.
Old 10-09-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was that really called for???
Old 10-09-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe resignation is too much but I agree with Turd. He'd better at least apologize to both kids in front of the class.

DVD Josh - Actually, yes, I would still be extremely angry even if it wasn't my child. The school has started a new program this year, daily charting every child on what they call Panther Pride. The children are expected to be display, among other things, Responsibility and Respectfulness. I expect the teachers to to exceed what is expected of the children, as they should be setting the example for the children to follow.

I have the utmost respect for those in the teaching profession, and a total lack of tolerance for those who make a mockery of it.
Old 10-09-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Some teachers are not all too bright.

That is crazy...that teacher obviously failed to learn a lesson of his own in that situation.
Old 10-09-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
My parents and the parents of another student who had the same problem complained "up the chain" but the teacher was tenured and nothing happened to her.
In my four years of teaching for Memphis City Schools prior to law school, I learned that many of our system's faults were directly related to crappy tenured teachers.
Old 10-09-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Both kids heard the same thing. Neither child is prone to lying.

I'm going to check with the parents of a couple other kids in their class to verify it as well.
Yes. That's the best way to do it. That way you can have corroborating evidence. I am in now way saying you kid is lying, but at that age, you can say one thing and they hear another.
Old 10-09-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'm glad you get such amusement out of my child's pain.

I just hope that one day you have a child suffering from depression so you can deal with the same issues we do. Then you'll know how funny it is.

Last edited by TheAllPurposeNothing; 10-09-06 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am truly amazed at what goes on in public schools these days.

You should have a conference with the principal and the teacher at a min and see where it goes from there.
Old 10-09-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad you get such amusement out of my child's pain.

I just hope that one day you have a child suffering from depression so you can deal with the same issues we do. Then you'll know how funny it is.
Sorry about your son. I hope you get a nice humble apology from this teacher.

I thought BWG was just making fun of the teacher, not your son.
Old 10-09-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
I thought BWG was just making fun of the teacher, not your son.
That was my impression as well...

Also, hope things work out and the teacher is disciplined in some manner. Sounds like something Cartman might say, not something a teacher should...
Old 10-09-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He made a mistake, and he should appologize to the boys. Sometimes people say things that just come out. Hopefully he will pay more attention to what he says in the future.

-p

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.