Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Goodwill is getting ridiculous!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-09-06, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have periodically taken stuff to Goodwill over the years. It used to be you could take Items that were in need of repair, and they would still take them.

More recently, I tried to take a TV that needed repair. It was a fairly nice TV, and I figured that the repair needed would probably not be extensive. They wouldnít take it, stating they no longer took electronic items that didnít work. O.K. Not a problem. I can understand that.

But today, I took a coffee/end table set in excellent condition over to Goodwill. They would not take it. Know why? It wasnít assembled! They said they would only take stuff that had been put together.

I tried to explain to the gentleman that there was no real way for me to deliver them assembled, because they have glass tops. Itís simply a matter of screwing-in 8 screws per table and setting the glass on top.

He wouldn't take Ďem. Just how lazy have they got at Goodwill now? I take the time to pack and load a set of coffee/end tables in great condition, drive them over, unload them, and they wonít take them because itís too much of a hassle to turn a few screws. UnbelievableÖ

Itís crap like this that is causing me to be less charitable in my old age.
Old 10-09-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is why you drop stuff off at night. My wife brought some fairly high end clothes (name brands) and they ripped open the bags we brought them in and they made two piles - stuff they would take and stuff they couldn't use. They expected us to pick them back up and take them back (with no bags, as they destroyed them). When I refused, they said they would not be giving us a tax ticket if we didn't. I said fine, and drove off.

But it's getting bad. My mom won't even give to them anymore its such a hassle, choosing just to call the local shelters for a pickup (which they do gladly and without complaint).
Old 10-09-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I blame hipsters.
Old 10-09-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The TV thing I can understand, it costs more to fix a TV today than many are worth

The table is odd, I have never had one refuse furniture and I have taken items that were not assembled.

The clothes one is even stranger - I have NEVER had them refuse clothes.

The one I ran into was when I went to donate a futon, they refused it because there was a stain on the cover. The stain was from food, and you can buy a new futon cover for $50, but they said the heath department wouldnt' let them take any cushions/mattresses/etc with stains on them for heath reasons. I thought that was odd, I took the cover off and showed the cushion underneath was ok, then they took it and I just threw the cover away. crazy

I have noticed charity getting picky, but when you see welfare moms talking on cells phones in their current model luxury mini vans, you have to wonder if anyone is really poor anymore I guess they have it so good that no one wants your used stuff.
Old 10-09-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think these days, they're just overburdened with people giving away junk. I think they're looking for more basic stuff like blankets, sheets, pillows, towels, etc.
Old 10-09-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
I think these days, they're just overburdened with people giving away junk. I think they're looking for more basic stuff like blankets, sheets, pillows, towels, etc.
Honestly, those are much better items to give to a shelter if you really want to help. I've always thought of goodwill as a better place for non-essentials, like old working electronics and games and such.
Old 10-09-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I've never worked for a thrift store, but I did work in a remaindered bookstore once. People would bring in threadbare paperbacks, books in such bad condition that the spines were disintegrating and the pages would fall out if you opened them. Thrift stores are not for JUNK, people; if you're getting rid of it because it's shot, just throw it away. Nobody else will want it either.

However, the OP does have a point, particularly since if he had to take the thing apart to get it in his car, the buyer probably would too. I suppose there's something valid in the idea that the buyer would want to see the thing assembled before buying it, but ...
Old 10-09-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I just throw stuff away unless I know of a person who can use it.
Old 10-09-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This is why you drop stuff off at night.
This also works with grandparents and bastard children.
Old 10-09-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never had a problem donating to Goodwill, although I can understand their objections above. I'm sure they lose a decent chunk of change disposing of junk that is "donated" to them.
Old 10-09-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, those are much better items to give to a shelter if you really want to help. I've always thought of goodwill as a better place for non-essentials, like old working electronics and games and such.
Actually, my dad tried to drop off some extra clothes at goodwill last month. they told him they weren't accepting anymore clothes and were accepting stuff like blankets. YMMV but this was in baton rouge which is only 90 miles from New Orleans.
Old 10-09-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why didn't you just screw the legs into the table on the spot?
Old 10-09-06, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by kitkat
Why didn't you just screw the legs into the table on the spot?
First, I didnít bring my screwdriver with me. (I didnít think I would need it, for crying out loud!)

Secondly, why couldnít THEY assemble the table? Even if I had a screwdriver on me, Iím not sure I would have bothered. Iím a reasonably nice guy, but my charity only goes so far.
Old 10-09-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I blame hipsters.
I blame the great economy!

If things were that bad, they'd be taking anything and everything!
Old 10-09-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just throw the stuff away and let the hobos rummage through the dumpster. Just cut out the middle man, I say.
Old 10-09-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you sure they didn't check ebay to see if they could make money on it? Goodwill has gotten 'hip' with the 'bay' and price things accordingly. They sell PS1 systems (just the deck) for $40 at my GoodWill. PC games that were clearenced out at Target for $4.48 they try and sell for $15. Ugh.
Old 10-09-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

we called salvation army to pick up a desk, and some other items. when they walked out of the truck, they already had a note saying that "they couldn't take the desk" even before they even saw it.
Old 10-09-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG

I have noticed charity getting picky, but when you see welfare moms talking on cells phones in their current model luxury mini vans, you have to wonder if anyone is really poor anymore I guess they have it so good that no one wants your used stuff.
that's the sad thing about welfare, and other government aid...a lot of people are taking advantage of the system. and what's even sadder is that some of these people think that they're ENTITLED to free aid, even when they drive brand new SUVs or mercedes.
Old 10-09-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had some charity -- I don't remember which one -- try to tell me they wouldn't take an air conditioner window unit because it was more than 2 years old. Gee, I'm sorry I don't buy a new air conditioner every year. You can either take the perfectly functioning one that I used for 3 years or I can throw it out. Your choice, Mr. Charity Dude.
Old 10-09-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I put the stuff on the curb and leave a note on craigslist. Sometimes it's gone before I can even post. The people on craigslist will take ANYTHING. Some will even pay you a few bucks but usually its not worth it to me - I just want it gone.
Old 10-09-06, 07:45 PM

You got that right, that's what my family's always done. This thread reminds me that I need to go through some clothes & donate them. Usually I just donate them to my sister but she forgot half of the clothes she supposedly wanted last time, so eh.
Old 10-09-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a similar thing happen.. During the Hurricane Katrina aftermath, a lot of people were displaced to Austin.. Well I had an extra fold away bed that I thought would be perfect to donate so they could use it at a local gym/shelter for people to sleep on.. They said they don't take mattresses (which I understand). I practically had to twist the lady's arm to take it... and I thought I was doing a nice thing
Old 10-09-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way. Too many vultures pick through the donations to sell at flea markets. I went to drop off one evening, and there was a guy who was just sort of rummaging around. I was dropping off an Epson inkjet printer (which worked). He almost started salivating when he saw it (in the original box) in my hands. If there hadn't been anyone there to take it inside the building, I would have taken it back home.
Old 10-09-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Driving expensive SUVs and talking on fancy cell phones don't make them rich. People like that spend all their money on promoting an image but really live a roach infested shitty apartments.

I wouldn't put too much energy into it.
Old 10-09-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I blame the great economy!

If things were that bad, they'd be taking anything and everything!
Well, one of the most popular items Goodwill gets are tables. The problem is, it takes time to assemble the tables while they could be doing other things. One damn table assembly could take 4 hours for some of these people, and I am sure Goodwill doesn't have the cash to pay people to assemble products.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.