Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Electrical help? (Re: 220v plugs, outlets, converters)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-08-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a treadmill, and upon receiving the delivery, I was notified that it was 220 volt instead of the standard. Shipping it back means I will have paid more for the shipping both ways than the actual treadmill. At the time I figured it would be cheaper to sell it myself and I put it up on craigslist. Since I can't run it here, I've gotten hardly any offers. However one of few I've gotten came from a guy who stopped by yesterday and managed to convert the power from my dryer's outlet to the kind the treadmill uses. Long story longer: this is what I'm trying to do.

I have standard dryer outlet:

and I'm looking to plug in something like this:

It is one of the right 2, but I can't really see a different between them. It should be 2 prongs on a straight line and a circle as the 3rd prong.

I stopped by Home Depot and O.S.H. yesterday and both places say there isn't a way to do it. But I literally saw a guy come to my house and do it himself. The guy isn't sure if he wants it or not so he won't help me out (which I'm a bit upset about). So anyone know how I can do it? It was supposed to be a surprise birthday present for my wife, but it backfired completely.
Old 10-08-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could check with an electrical supply shop and see if the have the outlet you need.

You would need to run the treadmill from the dryer location, but then you would not be able to plug in the dryer.

One option would be to get a dryer cord, which we know plugs into the outlet, and on the other end attach a receptacle to plug your treadmill into, kinda laike an extension cord.

You would need something like this:
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring...s/Page-A27.pdf

I think you would be best to get an electrician in if you plan on adding another outlet or tapping into the breaker box for another circuit.

EDIT: I guess another thing you can do is cut the plug off the end of the treamill cord and wire on a dryer plug. Then you would not need to rewire the outlet.

Last edited by jon-w9; 10-08-06 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I don't mind running one or the other at a time would converting the power be an issue? Or are there other electrical things I don't know about, which I should consider before doing it?
Old 10-08-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are going to be alternating the outlet for the 2 items, you would probably be best off altering the treadmill cord to plug into the dryer outlet, because the dryer appears to use 2 hot and either a neutral or a ground (probably ground) while the treadmill uses 2 hot and a ground.

You could go back to HD or Lowes or whater and see about a replacement dryer plug that you could wire to the treamill.