Old 10-08-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of cash = Drug dealer

http://www.the-dispatch.com/apps/pbc...0339/1005/news

Deputies seize $88,000 in cash in traffic stop

BY SEAN JAREM
The Dispatch

Two men traveling south on Interstate 85 southwest of Lexington Tuesday told Davidson County sheriff's deputies that the $88,000 in cash they had hidden in their car was to buy a house in Atlanta.

Officers with the sheriff office's Interstate Criminal Enforcement unit didn't believe the story after a drug-sniffing dog found a strong odor of narcotics inside the car.

No drugs were found, and the two men weren't charged with a crime, but officers did keep the money, citing a federal drug assets seizure and forfeiture law.

Deputies first stopped the car for following too closely to another vehicle, said Davidson County Sheriff David Grice.

The two men told officers they had flown from Texas to New Jersey and were driving south to Atlanta to buy a house with the money, Grice said.

Federal investigators arrived and took the cash in order to make a case in federal court that the money would fall under federal forfeiture laws.

If a federal judge agrees with investigators, the Davidson County Sheriff's Office would receive 75 percent ($66,000) of the confiscated money.

"It takes about a year for the money to come back to the county," Grice said.

The money then would make its way into the sheriff's office general fund, where it could only be used for enhancement purposes, such as new equipment or additional training.

Grice said as a general rule the sheriff's office cannot count on forfeiture money, noting the money isn't a sure thing and can fluctuate from year to year.

But the Davidson County Sheriff's Office has had positive results in the past after bringing in $1.6 million in 2005 and $1.4 million in 2004.

This year Grice said officers have brought in about $400,000.

"It allows us to buy equipment without using taxpayers' money," Grice said.

Replacing older vehicles, installing newer radios in patrol cars and installing a new camera system in the jail were all paid for by drug forfeiture money, Grice said.
Ironically, most of it probably is taxpayer money if this is the way this dept. operates.
Old 10-08-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait wait. You can buy a house in Atlanta for $88 grand ??
Old 10-08-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$88,000 to buy a house in Atlanta. even if true it's very fishy since you can just write a cashier's check
Old 10-08-06, 02:45 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To have cash in excess of $10,000 you need to have this form
Old 10-08-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DAC
To have cash in excess of $10,000 you need to have this form

And the penalty for not having the form is the complete forfeiture of all of your money. Neat!

(Not to mention you don't need that form, or any form, to have $10,000 in cash.)
Old 10-08-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Apparently you guys missed the part where the drug dog hit on the cash. Plain and simple, once that happens, it's forfeited.
Old 10-08-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

So I can't have money that drug dealers have ever had? I don't have good records of who had my money before I did.
Old 10-08-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Apparently you guys missed the part where the drug dog hit on the cash. Plain and simple, once that happens, it's forfeited.
Well, what're the chances that if you had 88,000 in front of you, that some of that cash would have been near some narcotics at some point recently? Prior to you getting it, I mean.

Also, how good are the dogs? Are they perfect? 100%?

I'm just asking.

I've never used drugs. But the seizure laws are just ridiculous. Guilty until proven innocent. You have to go to court to get your money back, and it's unlikely you will do so.
Old 10-08-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"...drug-sniffing dog found a strong odor of narcotics."

Do they train the dogs to indicate how strong the odor is that they're detecting? I'm dubious.
Old 10-08-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Well, what're the chances that if you had 88,000 in front of you, that some of that cash would have been near some narcotics at some point recently? Prior to you getting it, I mean.

Also, how good are the dogs? Are they perfect? 100%?

I'm just asking.

I've never used drugs. But the seizure laws are just ridiculous. Guilty until proven innocent. You have to go to court to get your money back, and it's unlikely you will do so.
Actually, the scent of drugs doesn't stay on money long. I've done some training w/ K9 officers, and I don't remember exactly what they said. It doesn't stay there for long periods of time. Scent dissipates with time.
Old 10-08-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, the scent of drugs doesn't stay on money long. I've done some training w/ K9 officers, and I don't remember exactly what they said. It doesn't stay there for long periods of time. Scent dissipates with time.
Thanks for the response, but how long is not long? And how good are the dogs?
Are they equivalent to (i.e. as unreliable as) a polygraph? Have they been reviewed and proven to be reliable?

Again I say this "guilty until proven innocent" is ridiculous.
Old 10-08-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Depends on the dog. They get rated and certified, so it really depends on the dog.
Old 10-08-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Are they equivalent to (i.e. as unreliable as) a polygraph? Have they been reviewed and proven to be reliable?

I can't answer. I'm not a K9 officer. But I do know they go through a rigorous training academy and all K9s on the street are certified.
Old 10-08-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how much "experience" you have with the law and being arrested in general, but my personal experience would show that guilty until proven innocent is really the way it works. (btw - I am white, most think only black people are treated this way)
Old 10-08-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And you think that's okay?
Old 10-08-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Duran
And you think that's okay?
Um, yeah?

Who the fuck carries around $88,000 in cash? You can give me absolutely no legitimate answer to that question. They were transporting drug money.

And there are federal laws about having documentation when you do carry that much money. Anyone that had a legitimate reason to carry that much money would know that.

Last edited by Deftones; 10-08-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Considering there are trace amounts of cocaine on most bills, and dogs can sense traces as small as a millionth of a gram it would seem that $88,000 worth would make for a big hit.

It's a bullshit bust. There is no law against carrying large sums of money and if there are what commoner would know it anyway.

Somewhere some old woman that saved all her money in her mattress and is moving is in a hell of a lot of trouble if she's pulled over.
Old 10-08-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by waporvare
It's a bullshit bust. There is no law against carrying large sums of money and if there are what commoner would know it anyway.
Actually there is. And ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Old 10-08-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, does that law mean that the local PD can confiscate all the money? If not then it's still bullshit.
Old 10-08-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok, does that law mean that the local PD can confiscate all the money? If not then it's still bullshit.

Yes. They did. As stated in the article, they get a large portion of the money and the rest goes into a federal fund.
Old 10-08-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I don't know how much "experience" you have with the law and being arrested in general, but my personal experience would show that guilty until proven innocent is really the way it works. (btw - I am white, most think only black people are treated this way)
You don't need experience to see the difference.

Seizure laws allow the cops to take your cash, car, airplane, etc. And you have to fight to get it back.

Contrast that with getting arrested for DUI, or even robbery.

1. Get arrested, put in jail.
2. Go before judge, get bailed out (usually).
3. Any number of things can happen before trial - plea bargain, motions to dismiss, trial delay motions, etc.
4. Go to trial, maybe get acquitted.
5. If convicted, appeal.
6. If lose on appeal, appeal to higher court.

This is completely different than the way drug seizure laws work.
Old 10-08-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, yeah?

Who the fuck carries around $88,000 in cash? You can give me absolutely no legitimate answer to that question. They were transporting drug money.

And there are federal laws about having documentation when you do carry that much money. Anyone that had a legitimate reason to carry that much money would know that.
So, no need for due process, eh?
Old 10-08-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's still bullshit. The dog detected a large odor, but not drugs. Had there been drugs present then under the guidelines of federal forfeiture they could have taken the money. Suspicion of drugs doesn't count. So, with no drugs present are there any laws that would enable the local PD to confiscate the money without the proper paperwork to transport that much of their own money?

I'm not saying the people with the money weren't drug dealers, or that the money wasn't drug money. I'm saying suspicion of breaking the law and breaking the law are two different things and that local PD seems to be twisting the law in their favor to line their pockets. It reeks of corruption IMO.
Old 10-08-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

So, no need for due process, eh?
Who siad there isn't due process? They can make a claim to get it back. Seems like due process to me.
Old 10-08-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

It's still bullshit. The dog detected a large odor, but not drugs. Had there been drugs present then under the guidelines of federal forfeiture they could have taken the money. Suspicion of drugs doesn't count. So, with no drugs present are there any laws that would enable the local PD to confiscate the money without the proper paperwork to transport that much of their own money?

I'm not saying the people with the money weren't drug dealers, or that the money wasn't drug money. I'm saying suspicion of breaking the law and breaking the law are two different things and that local PD seems to be twisting the law in their favor to line their pockets. It reeks of corruption IMO.
You need to read the federal forfeiture laws. Presence of drugs or not, the officers are legally allowed to take the money. You can disagree with the law all you want, but the were in the letter of the law completely.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.