Reload this Page >

Ever find anything really cool?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-05-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning on the way to drop off Treesa, we drove down the street, turned the corner, and there was this 53" Big Screen Sony just sitting there next to a parked car!

Thinking that someone had just bought a brand new plasma set or what have you, my heart started pumping and I felt faint as I made a quick u-turn to go and check it out!

I parked the car, got out and did a visual scan of the set, and seeing that it was in great physical condition (with absolutely NO SCRATCHES, especially on the screen), I rolled it over to the car and plugged it in to see if I could get the relay to click...and it did!

But what happened next made me wanna vomit. Upon measuring the set, it was TOO DAMN BIG and wouldn't fit in our TEENIE Matrix.

So I got back inside the car, and drove Tree to work like I was in a funeral procession while mumbling under my breath like some ol' sea hag all the way to Beverly Hills.

On the way back, I checked to see if it was still there, and low and behold it was, and after parking the car at home, I decided I wanted it afterall. So I walked down the street and around the corner, back to the set with my large Mickey Mouse blanket, and after covering it, I proceeded to roll that muther over at least ten thousand cracks and bumps in the sidewalk, all the way back home.

But it wouldn't just roll easy...no way! The tiny wheels kept turning and locking up in the wrong directions, and I had to spin the set in circles and zig-zags to keep it moving and from hitting walls or falling over into the wet morning grass & ocassional dog-poo covered lawns. It was a fight to the death, and I was sweating like crazy and my heart was pumping like a jack hammer!

Anyway, after many pit stops, I finally got it home and proceeded to check it out. I've got 14 stairs that lead up to our place, and looking up to the door, I said, "To Hell with that!", and just walked upstairs and threw down an extention chord, grabbed one of my faithful chordless drills, can of air, paint brush, towel, flashlight, and a cold bottle of water.

After blowing it out and checking all the connections, I pushed the power button and the relay clicked again, and the 'Timer/Standby' light blinked on and off (as Sony's do upon power-up), but that was all she wrote, or rode, or what have you.

But I must say, the 'guns' were pretty impressive! The mirror was pristine and the actual screen is scratchless and very clean. I wonder, does that screen magnify? Anyone know?

It's really tempting to strip it down for all the fun parts, but I'll keep it intact, wait 'til later for Treesa so she can help me roll it out to the street, and let some other wishful DREAMER/IDIOT try his hand or luck with it.

If it's still there after a couple days, I'll call for a 'large item pick-up' and that'll be that.

I heard that rain is somewhere in the forcast out here in L.A., and to think of it getting all drenched (while not knowing if it was operational or not) would have been more than my little brain could have bore (as I can't afford another night without my z's, and seriously need some sweet, deep, sleep, WHICH I PROBABLLY WON'T GET ANYWAY... ). So, I suppose it's better all around that I actually tested it, even though it was ONE HELL OF A PAIN rolling it up the street and all.

Oh well...

Win some, lose some...right?

Hey! What about YOU?

Ever find anything cool lately, or ever?

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-06-06 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Paul you really need to stop stealing. First the car, now this...

Old 10-05-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
toe jam
Old 10-05-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This Forum
Old 10-05-06, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Paul you really need to stop stealing. First the car, now this...

lol
Old 10-05-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pual

The Sony sets are fairly easy to fix, just about everything in it is modular, you just need to track down which module broke.

Google around on the model number and you will find some forums and online places that sell parts. It may be worth fixing.
Old 10-05-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paul, I seriously think we need to find you a job...to take your mind off of these tihngs.
Old 10-05-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I once found a Mac Tools 24" 1/2"-drive breaker bar. It was lying in the middle of the street at 11:00 PM. I did a couple of U-turns on the motorcycle, and picked it up. It wasn't even scratched! I used it Tuesday to get the lug nuts off of Mrs Danger's station wagon.

So, Paul, are you going to tell us what's wrong? You aren't your usual chipper self. I'm worried.

And definitely look up troubleshooting pages for that big screen. Getting a free 53-inch is way cooler than a breaker bar. It would be worth a $100 service call to get it working!
Old 10-05-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found a shovel in my back yard when I was in second grade. Does that count?
Old 10-05-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This isn't quite as cool as a bigscreen Sony, but when I was a kid I knocked one of my mom's garage sale paintings off of the wall, and the paper on the back of the frame had ripped a little bit. I figured that since it was ripped anyhow, I'd pull the thing out of the frame to look at it. Behind the painting (of a boat or something) was a really cool lithograph of Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield and William McKinley (three assassinated presidents).

My mom took it in to an antiques dealer, who said it was only worth about $70 or so, but I really thought it was cool. My mom ended up selling it, and pissing me off once again.
Old 10-05-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just return it at Costco for a brand new set.
Old 10-05-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by edstein
Just return it at Costco for a brand new set.
costco sells shovels?
Old 10-06-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They sell Gatorade!
Old 10-06-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
They sell Gatorade!
Can you get me half a case?
Old 10-06-06, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
He will share it with me too.
Old 10-06-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Sure can!
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
He will share it with me too.
Well, that's between you two.

-- !!!THREAD UPDATE!!! --

Just got back from Costco with your Gatorade!

But I left it inside my car and I forgot the keys in the ignition!

Either of you have a wire and know how to jimmy the door?

&

-TEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-06-06 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-06-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just don't charge me for the stuff!

I like free Gatorade best. It tickles my innards just right.
Old 10-06-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I found 40 hours of overtime in my paycheck... that I didn't work.

That was pretty cool.
Old 10-06-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...AND YOU KEPT IT???

For shame, Tommy O.
Old 10-06-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a heads up, JasonF might be looking for you.
Old 10-06-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Edit King

But I left it inside my car and I forgot the keys in the ignition!

Either of you have a wire and know how to jimmy the door?

&

-TEK!
I don't have a wire but I do have a Universal Car Door Openerô...

Old 10-06-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79
This isn't quite as cool as a bigscreen Sony, but when I was a kid I knocked one of my mom's garage sale paintings off of the wall, and the paper on the back of the frame had ripped a little bit. I figured that since it was ripped anyhow, I'd pull the thing out of the frame to look at it. Behind the painting (of a boat or something) was a really cool lithograph of Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield and William McKinley (three assassinated presidents).

My mom took it in to an antiques dealer, who said it was only worth about $70 or so, but I really thought it was cool. My mom ended up selling it, and pissing me off once again.
that happened to me too...only i found a draft of the declaration of independence