Drink like a Nicaraguan: Introducing the Macuá

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-05-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hold the Mojito and Margarita, Nicaragua Has el Macuá

NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico, Oct. 4 — Nicaraguan folk music fills the air at the House of the Mejías Godoy, a nightspot in Managua, the sprawling capital of Nicaragua. The plates of steaming food served there — beans and rice, plantains and chunks of tasty meat — are also 100 percent Nicaraguan.

But the Nicaraguan authenticity comes to an end when it comes to quenching one’s thirst.

Cuba’s mojito, with its crushed lime and mint leaves, is on the drinks menu. The margarita, Mexico’s way of showing off what tequila can do, is available as well. The bloody mary and Tom Collins are offered from the colossus to the north.

But Nicaragua, alas, has no cocktail to call its own. Despite a top-quality domestic rum, the bartenders borrow from others when mixing it. They add Coca-Cola and call the resulting drink a Nica libre, which everyone knows is really just a Cuba libre knockoff.

Soon those tourists may be able to sidle up to a bar on a sweltering evening and order a uniquely Nicaraguan trago, which translates as a drink or swallow or swig.

“We want something authentic, something that goes down your throat and tastes Nicaraguan,” said René Hauser, the owner of a popular French restaurant in Managua and one of the judges in a competition to find an official national cocktail.

After sipping the numerous offerings, the judges have opted for a fruity concoction that they called el macuá, after a tropical bird found in this part of the world. The drink is one part white rum, one part guava juice, with a half-portion of lemon juice and some sugar and ice.

If all goes according to plan, el macuá will soon be known worldwide as Nicaragua’s national thirst quencher, as closely tied to this country as the caipirinha is to Brazil and the pisco sour to Peru.

Judges described this yellowish drink as strong, fruity and sweet. It was invented by Dr. Edmundo Miranda, 67, a pediatrician from the city of Granada on Lake Nicaragua. He said his wife, daughter and guava-loving son-in-law had helped him perfect the formula.

One of the requirements was that the drink be appropriate for Nicaragua’s steaming climate. “We wanted something refreshing, that cools you in the heat,” Mr. Hauser said. “We didn’t want a drink that was too filling. You can have two or three mojitos and feel good.”

[Read All]

<hr>

I don't have any guava juice on me, nor do I know the exact recipe (La Prensa doesn't seem to have an article yet), but I want to try this. It sounds yummy.

BTW, it's macuá, pronounced mah-koow-AH, not ma-KOOW-ah.
Old 10-06-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does he give tips on how much to put into the enema bag if that's the way you want to consume it?
Old 10-06-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice to see this guy got work after Lethal Weapon II.
Old 10-06-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
...nor do I know the exact recipe ...
Originally Posted by The New York Times
The drink is one part white rum, one part guava juice, with a half-portion of lemon juice and some sugar and ice.