Reload this Page >

Being a pet lover: yay or nay?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-05-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of you have a pet or pets? Are you glad you have a pet or pets? Do you wish you didn't? Do you not and wish you did? Why do you have or not have a pet or pets?

I was talking with some friends and we were all complaining about our dogs. In all three cases it was the Mrs. that wanted the animal and promised to take care of them.

Of course we men now feed, walk, pick up the crap, etc. while the women ignore them. Why did they want them? We all have children so it wasn't to fill an empty void or sense of loneliness.

We've had the same dog for 16 years and he's starting to drive us crazy. We made the mistake of giving him table scraps so now he cries and whines non-stop while wearing eating and long after. The poor guy's is blind, deaf, senile and has problems walking plus he occasionally decides to piss and crap on the rug. His whole life is begging for food and sleeping.

When I met Mrs. Pusser she had two dogs and three cats and I had one cat. She says we will not get another dog after this.

We also had a cat for a bit that we found roaming the neighborhood but it died. Other pets we've had recently for the kids were fish and hamsters. There is still one hamster living.

When I was a kid my parents weren't too thrilled about pets but we had a few gerbils that died not long after and a few dogs and a cat.

I'll tell a dog and cat story or two later but now it's your turn.
Old 10-05-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and various other animals. The cats and dogs are the only ones we consider pets. The dogs are good for barking at people coming down the driveway. I prefer cats, but there are a lot of cats that suck, so you have to be careful.

I enjoy the animals for the most part, but I don't think of them as "part of the family" or any crap like that.
Old 10-05-06, 03:40 PM

I tolerate pets. As long as they don't make bodily functions in my shoes, it's all good.
Old 10-05-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Four cats. To me, animals are part of the family. If you aren't willing to make a commitment for the lifetime of the animal, you shouldn't have pets. But that's just my opinion, we all have them.

I avoided having pets for a number of years, not wanting the expense or hassle. However, even with those things (and four cats mean a lot of both ... ), I cannot imagine my life without them. They are there to greet me when I come home, and when I waken in the night, there's something purring on the pillow next to me.

P.S. I love dogs, too; I just don't happen to have one because I have lived for years in apartments and places without fenced yards. Maybe now that I'm moving into a townhouse I will get a dog. Oops, my cats are growling six miles away and I can hear them from here. Perhaps not.
Old 10-05-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dogs > People
Old 10-05-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2 dogs and a cat for me. After hearing my boss piss and moan about her delinquent teenage daughter all the time, I'll stick with the pets, thank you very much.
Old 10-05-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One kitten, she adopted me about two months ago... I opened the door at my condo to get the mail and this little kitten came up to me. Asked my neighbors and it didn't belong to any of them. So, I took her in... I've always been a cat person, well almost always, my parents always had cats around when I was growing up... But, it's been about 8 years since I've owned a cat. Reasons... The expense doesn't bother me but it's the limitations on vacations, finding someone to kitty sit, keeping one "locked up" inside a condo - I live on a very busy street, going outside is not an option - things like that kept me from going out and getting one. I certainly wasn't going to leave her outside to die and no one else wanted her... So...

She's fun but I'll enjoy her company more when she stops waking me up with a paw to the face every morning. *whack* "meow" < Translates as "feed me" in English.
Old 10-05-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Dogs > People
I second this.

My dog is defintely a part of the family, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 10-05-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could not imagine my home without a dog.

We love our dog and I agree I love my dog more than most people

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 10-05-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the animal lover in our family, so the onus of caring for them falls on me. The hub likes the dog and his fish, and he tolerates the lizards and snake. He's not too keen on the hissing roach colony.

I hate to say it, but even though I'm breeding the roaches for the lizards to eat, they have a certain charm. It's amusing to watch them duel with each other because they wiggle their butts and hiss at each other.
Old 10-05-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone famous (Winston Churchill?) once said "the more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

That works for cats, as well.

I've got two cats, one I've had for about 13 years and one for about 3 years. They're a big responsibility, but isn't that an important part of life? I kinda like the idea that there's something dependent on me. They're pretty well trained and the food and vet bills aren't TOO high.

I'm not sure how much longer the older one has to go (she's already acting like an old lady) but, as soon as either one dies, I wont hesitate to get another one. (I think two is pretty much the limit for a single guy in a one bedroom apartment.)
Old 10-05-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Dogs > People
I strongly agree with that.
Old 10-05-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've got 2 dogs and 4 cats. One cat is "psycho" and will somewhat completely at random fight with one of the other cats or freak out for no reason. Another cat is very agressive (we recently got her from the local pound) to the other cats and is causing fights. One thing she does is "guard" the liter box and attack any other cats that go near it to the other cats are starting to find new and more exciting spots to do what they need to do (kitchen counter, bathtub, various rugs, etc). Needless to say this is NOT going over well for us and even though we've tried everything to resolve the situation our "new" cat will soon be gone. So anyone who wants a 5 yr old female cat that's a great cat but doesn't get along with other cats.. let me know ok?

Can't imaging our life without critters. We recently went from 4 cats down to 2 cats and it seemed empty in the house. So we went out and got some more.
Old 10-05-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
We've got 2 dogs and 4 cats. One cat is "psycho" and will somewhat completely at random fight with one of the other cats or freak out for no reason. Another cat is very agressive (we recently got her from the local pound) to the other cats and is causing fights. One thing she does is "guard" the liter box and attack any other cats that go near it to the other cats are starting to find new and more exciting spots to do what they need to do (kitchen counter, bathtub, various rugs, etc). Needless to say this is NOT going over well for us and even though we've tried everything to resolve the situation our "new" cat will soon be gone. So anyone who wants a 5 yr old female cat that's a great cat but doesn't get along with other cats.. let me know ok?

Can't imaging our life without critters. We recently went from 4 cats down to 2 cats and it seemed empty in the house. So we went out and got some more.
Zod ... my oldest cat doesn't like the other three, either. They need their own litterboxes, though. If you increase the number of boxes so they don't have to share, it will be better. Please try this before you get rid of her ... for me? Pretty please?
Old 10-05-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mllefoo
It's amusing to watch them duel with each other because they wiggle their butts and hiss at each other.

Sounds like the local gals at the dive bar outside of town.....
Old 10-05-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vibiana
Zod ... my oldest cat doesn't like the other three, either. They need their own litterboxes, though. If you increase the number of boxes so they don't have to share, it will be better. Please try this before you get rid of her ... for me? Pretty please?
We've got 3 liter boxes around the house. The problem is she more or less guards all 3 and attacks the cats when they go in them - so they don't go in them anymore. She's just not working (we know what will and won't work in the house we've had cats forever). What's your address? I'll drop her off tonight Thanks for volunteering!

Here's the ad we put on Craigslist for her. Taking her to the shelter will be our very last resort. Rescue groups don't want her because trying to place a cat that doesn't get along with other cats is very difficult. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pet/215940106.html

Last edited by General Zod; 10-05-06 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pets are not family. They are animals. Not people. They are not people. They are animals. Keep repeating that. It's OK to care about them, and it's nice to have them, but they are not people. It irks me whenever I hear a story about someone having a miscarriage and some idiot saying, "Oh, my Labrador died last year I know how you feel." Not people. OK, moving on.

One of the main reasons I don't have pet(s) (besides allergies) is the fact that it would be unfair to have one right now. I grew up with animals belonging outside. As far as I know, this animals being inside and in the bedroom is a new invention that goes against thousands of years of history and evolution. Keeping a dog inside the house makes no more sense than keeping a goat, bull, or donkey indoors.
Old 10-05-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I could not imagine my home without a dog.

We love our god and I agree I love my dog more than most people
Quit shoving your religion down my throat.
Old 10-05-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-05-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Quit shoving your religion down my throat.
OOPS sorry fixed.
Old 10-05-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Pets are not family. They are animals. Not people. They are not people. They are animals. Keep repeating that. It's OK to care about them, and it's nice to have them, but they are not people. It irks me whenever I hear a story about someone having a miscarriage and some idiot saying, "Oh, my Labrador died last year I know how you feel." Not people. OK, moving on.
Pets are not people, and I roll my eyes at people who treat them like people, or call them their children, or whatever ... but just because they are not human doesn't mean they are not part of the family. No, having to put your dog to sleep is not the same as having a miscarriage ... but it's also not the same as having to throw out a worn-out pair of shoes.
Old 10-05-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus

One of the main reasons I don't have pet(s) (besides allergies) is the fact that it would be unfair to have one right now. I grew up with animals belonging outside. As far as I know, this animals being inside and in the bedroom is a new invention that goes against thousands of years of history and evolution. Keeping a dog inside the house makes no more sense than keeping a goat, bull, or donkey indoors.
I want to respond to this, but my dog is calling me to dinner.
Old 10-05-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
OOPS sorry fixed.
Old 10-05-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dog is laying in the hallway keeping an eye on me. He's been with me through some ruff times in my life, and I seriously don't know how I would've dealt with those times if he hadn't been around.

Although I can appreciate The Bus's comments about pets not being family, I must disagree. True, losing a dog is not comparable to losing a child, but that doesn't mean that the emotions that you build toward the pet aren't nearly as strong. A dog is a dog, but my dog is my family. He's my kid, he's my companion, he's the dog I swore to protect for the rest of his life.
Old 10-05-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JasonF
Pets are not people, and I roll my eyes at people who treat them like people, or call them their children, or whatever ... but just because they are not human doesn't mean they are not part of the family. No, having to put your dog to sleep is not the same as having a miscarriage ... but it's also not the same as having to throw out a worn-out pair of shoes.
Correct.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.