Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm turning Japanese (I really think so)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-04-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, a posted a thread a few months back about teaching English overseas. Well, I decided to apply, after some research, to the KTC Language Institute (better known as Peppy Kids Club) out in Japan. I had an interview in Toronto last week and, yesterday, was informed that I had the job pending work visa approval. I would start in February.

So, I had question for anyone who has been to Japan:

How much English is spoken/on signs and such over there. I do not know a word of Japanese outside of the standard Styx song lyric. What should I prepare myself for?
Old 10-04-06, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should also check out and ask on the Japanese Language & Culture forum on AnimeOnDVD. They probably have several posts on the subject.
Link
Old 10-04-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it that I want a doctor to take your picture? I really don't want to look at you from inside as well.

Anyway, remember the phrase "Tora tora tora". Means "Tiger tiger tiger" I think. Could come in handy at some point.
Old 10-04-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
Old 10-04-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Did you know the song featured in the thread title is about a guy jacking it to a woman's picture? Intriguing.
Ah, the squinting that one's face makes when ejaculating. "Turning Japanese".

I've heard that before but still think that it's about something else.
Old 10-05-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Attack, attack, attack
Old 10-05-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How can you teach English if you don't speak the original language? What do you do, just stand there and point at things and say the English word for it?

As for your question, when I was in Japan with my (Japanese) ex-wife, I remember saying to myself and those at home that without her around I would have been totally screwed. The culture is Western enough that you can survive just by figuring out what's what based on appearance and such, but there wasn't a lot of English signage nor people that spoke English. I was not in the big city, for the most part, though.
Old 10-05-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
Anyway, remember the phrase "Tora tora tora". Means "Tiger tiger tiger" I think.
Correct.
Old 10-05-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How can you teach English if you don't speak the original language? What do you do, just stand there and point at things and say the English word for it?
A friend of mine did this and he didn't know much Japanese. He basically taught conversational English, and those he taught understood a fair amount anyway. He also said that his job was basically a status symbol for the small Japanese school district. He also drank too much, and drinking was a very common hobby for most all of the adults.

And learn to play "Concho!" And protect your balls and ass at all times.

You will have amazingly disturbing stories to share.
Old 10-05-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Dave is correct. I will basically be teaching the foundations of the language to children aged 2-14. This is mainly conversational English and very basic. And, yes, as odd as it sounds, there is much pointing and repeating. We are instructed to NOT speak Japanese and speak our native language at all times.

I would be staying in a small city and not, say, Tokyo. I requested to be placed in the Kyoto area alrough I will not know for sure where abouts I will be staying until I arrive for training.

Needless to say, I was seeking a life changing experience, taking where I am now, placing it all in a blender and hitting the mix button. Something different.

Dave: Concho?
Old 10-05-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I need to get a gig like this. I'd learn the language for a Japanese female or three.
Old 10-05-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This Japanese 101 podcast could be usefull: http://www.japanesepod101.com/

And congrats!
Old 10-05-06, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Dave: Concho?
Be ready for culture shock. The stories my friend told me had me rolling. Concho is basically a "game" where kids will come up to you and jam an open hand up your ass in the hallways. I'm serious. The most innocent looking children will do this to you, so prepare.

My friend once played a softball game with the teachers and parents. Afterwards they had a big dinner in the gym and everyone got wasted. Drinking is considered a hobby.

Expect the men to check out your package in the bathroom. The old stereotype that Asian men have small penises compared to Americans is alive and well, and they will be curious.

Expect that at some point a drunk co-worker (usually a man) will do something very inappropriate (not to you) and the next day everyone will act like nothing ever happened.

It is quite possible that the kids will go for your balls in the hallway. This is sort of a reverse concho. It will not matter how much you tell them it is inappropriate, this is the funniest damn thing in the world to them, and they will not stop, so learn to protect your balls and your ass.

You will be a status symbol, and as a result, you will be expected to go out with everyone fairly often. To not go when invited is disrespectful, so if you decide not to go out, do so sparingly, and have a very good excuse like an illness.

That is all I will tell you, and that isn't half of it. You will have a blast, and it will freak your mind.
Old 10-05-06, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

My fault. Apparently it is "koncho"

Read and prepare yourself....
http://jesterinjapan.blogspot.com/20...of-koncho.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancho

Old 10-05-06, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Expect that at some point a drunk co-worker (usually a man) will do something very inappropriate (not to you) and the next day everyone will act like nothing ever happened.
Examples please?
Old 10-05-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm jealous. Sounds very fun.
Old 10-05-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave

Here we have to be fearful of guns in school, there you have to be fearful of being violated in school... I learned something new today.
Old 10-05-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
That's an interesting job. Do you have any previous teaching experience, or just being a native speaker qualifies you?
I have done some work with kids in the past as a volunteer teacher's aid at our local Literacy Council. Basically, I was helping teach kids and their parents how to read. I also was a teacher's aid there for adults learning computers for business. Back in highschool I took an internship as an aid for kids with Down Syndrome. Finally, in college I tutored English.

Despite that, however, I wouldn't say I have much teaching experience and was hired mainly because of a fair speaking command of the language, enthusiasm and interest. I honestly didn't think I'd get the gig but sometimes life surprises you.
Old 10-05-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://static.flickr.com/25/103751913_990e746fac.jpg
Old 10-05-06, 10:25 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Good luck ViewAskewbian. You have a lot of courage. Keep your fellow otters up to date on your experiences.
Old 10-05-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Read this
Start at the bottom and work your way up. It is hilarious.
Old 10-05-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wmansir
Examples please?
My friend went out to drink with some of the teachers. One male teacher got very drunk and was pretty abusive to a female teacher. My friend was freaked. Next day they all acted like none of it happened.
Old 10-05-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Read this
Start at the bottom and work your way up. It is hilarious.
That tracks very close to my friend's experience. This guy may have had more fascination with his dick because he is Black, though.

We will need constant updating. I swear this would be a great reality show.
Old 10-05-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
Supplies, supplies, supplies.
Old 10-05-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSh5bBqruoc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSh5bBqruoc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.