Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever been to a firing range/gun club?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-06, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one near my work and heard firing is a good stress reliever. I want to take up a hobby and was wondering if this is feasible. I have never fired a gun or anything, but think it might be something I would get into to.

Has anyone been a member and can tell me exactly how it works?

I want to just try it out first, like take a lesson...do they do that?

And how expensive is the whole process, like joing, paying monthly, buying a gun eventually and all that? Real expensive or is it reasonable to take up as a casual hobby?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 09-28-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Go for it, I certainly think you need to prepare for the forthcoming zombie world domination.
Old 09-28-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried it about 5 years. It was a gun safety/training class. From what I remember it was 2 hours, they go through gun safety, and then show how to shoot 3 different guns and then you shoot at targets.

It was kind of cool, but having the gun in hand was kind of scary.. It is a crap load of power (both physical and mental) for one person.
Old 09-28-06, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I tried it about 5 years. It was a gun safety/training class. From what I remember it was 2 hours, they go through gun safety, and then show how to shoot 3 different guns and then you shoot at targets.

It was kind of cool, but having the gun in hand was kind of scary.. It is a crap load of power (both physical and mental) for one person.
how much was the class if you remember?
Old 09-28-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been thinking of trying this out as well. Keep us updated if you go through with it Shaun.
Old 09-28-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
I think the price is extremely negotiable, at least once you get the gun.
Old 09-28-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

used to go to the range once or twice a year in the army

i'm a trained killer up to 300 yards
Old 09-28-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-28-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not all ranges make you become a member. The one I use just charges a per shooting charge. It cost $10 to shoot as long as I want. They also rent guns, which I believe is fairly common.
Old 09-28-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting topic; eventually I'd like to try out a range. I'd like to work up to doing those weekend/weeklong handgun courses. I figure if I'm going to be in possession of a gun, I should be as well trained as possible (within reason) with it.

-p
Old 09-28-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently joined the local range in Huntington Beach, called The Firing Line. They have a membership for $150 for one year. With an online coupon you can print they give you an extra month for free. It gives me free range time anytime I want it, which is usually $18 per hour. Also, I can use any of their weapons for free, rather than pay a rental fee. I can call ahead and reserve a lane, which non-members can't do. Basically, this deal is a no-brainer if one intends to shoot even once per month.

Another membership I have is at Front Sight in Pahrump, Nevada. I created a thread about my first experience at Front Sight if you care to find it. Their website is www.frontsight.com. This business is all about training, in handgun, shotgun, rifle, M16, Uzi, empty hand, edged weapons, and all sorts of other stuff. It is a wonderful facility out in the middle of nowhere. I go about every other month for a class, and so far, have only done handgun classes. They too sell memberships. I have the all-inclusive $16,000 membership which entitles me to take any class they ever offer for free for the rest of my life. Their 2 day classes are $800 and their 4 day classes are $1600. At some point I imagine the cost of these classes will rise and the price of the memberships will rise, as they filmed a reality show called The Front Sight Challenge which is supposed to air on a cable channel sometime soon.

However, should you go, I can get you and each of your friends into a class for much cheaper should you be interested. I have plenty of "first-timer" certificates that you can use only on your first ever visit to Front Sight that dramatically reduce the price of admission.

Front Sight rocks. It is really one of the most fun things I've ever done. Here are a few pics of Front Sight:

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 09-28-06 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 09:41 AM

Old 09-28-06, 09:41 AM

Old 09-28-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was actually your thread that informed me about the training weeks/weekends that are out there. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to do it for a couple years, but definately something I'll get to eventually.

-p
Old 09-28-06, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
It was actually your thread that informed me about the training weeks/weekends that are out there. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to do it for a couple years, but definately something I'll get to eventually.

-p
Man, you need to plan it and make it happen. I remember your interest in my other thread. I recommend the 4 day classes, because days 3 and 4 are where the really fun stuff happens. Day 1 and day 2 start from scratch, basically. You would have a shitload of fun. Their 4 day classes usually go Friday through Monday, so you only miss 2 days of work. Well, probably 4 for you because of travel on Thursday and Tuesday.

I had so much fun learning about guns with a group of people from all over the country that I intend to take a fly fishing class somewhere with a group of people. These sorts of experiences are a lot of fun.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 09-28-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
Pretty cheap... $20 maybe
Old 09-28-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
used to go to the range once or twice a year in the army

i'm a trained killer up to 300 yards
I still get to do that! I am actually going the second week in Oct. I am going to get paid to fire a fully automatic weapon all day. Oh darn. Actually, I was talking with my CO and we are going to play with the M249 and maybe, maybe ( ) the Mark 19.

[QUOTE=nazz]
Old 09-28-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends on what you want to get into - handguns, rifles, shotguns, combat/police type training etc etc

There are different 'organizations' that will usually cater more to one.

Figure out what you want to try first.

If you have just a basic open to the public shooting range near you, that would be a good place to start. Just go in and ask them if they have any courses for beginners and ask them if they rent guns.

The http://www.nra.org/ might have some good info for you.

You also ask about cost, well, that is up to you it can be cheap or it can cost you thousands.
Old 09-28-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
There's a cool indoor firing range out here in Torrance that allows shotguns. I guess many indoor ranges don't. Anyway, I haven't been for years but I think about
Old 09-28-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some are just shooting ranges that charge a fee then have some different competitive events. Others are pretty deluxe with lessons and rentals. I belonged to one for a couple years. It was nice because it was usually empty. The only problem was an indoor range is noisy and when shooting lead gets smelly and smokey. I also forgot my ear protection one time and almost blew out my eardrum. It was the beginning of my tinnitus.
Old 09-28-06, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I also forgot my ear protection one time and almost blew out my eardrum.
Usually there are people at the range who, by their actions, shouldn't have a gun. Rarely is there someone at the range who shouldn't have ears.
Old 09-28-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Man, you need to plan it and make it happen. I remember your interest in my other thread. I recommend the 4 day classes, because days 3 and 4 are where the really fun stuff happens. Day 1 and day 2 start from scratch, basically. You would have a shitload of fun. Their 4 day classes usually go Friday through Monday, so you only miss 2 days of work. Well, probably 4 for you because of travel on Thursday and Tuesday.
Unfortunately I can't really get time off now or in the near future.....I have a full case load, dissertation, etc....which is why i'm shooting for (no pun intended) for a couple years from now...when I have some spare time before I move again.

-p
Old 09-28-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I have the all-inclusive $16,000 membership which entitles me to take any class they ever offer for free for the rest of my life.

$16,000??? I sure hope you take advantage of their offer. Thats a ton of cash for someone to show you how to shoot a gun for fun.
Old 09-28-06, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
$16,000??? I sure hope you take advantage of their offer. Thats a ton of cash for someone to show you how to shoot a gun for fun.
Um, check the website. They aren't just showing you how to shoot a gun for "fun". They teach you how to shoot a gun and use advanced tactics to save your life or someone else's life if you were ever put in the situation. There is a big difference. Its very common for the classes to be filled with law enforcement as students. This is because, as the students claim (and as you get to know people in the class, people socialize and share stories), in the academy they simply shoot at targets for one afternoon, the rest of their training is classroom, and then they are sent out to fight crime. They are policing our streets and don't know how to do shit, many of them. So they go here for training from people who used to train SEALS, ex-drill sargents, men/women who used to be FBI, DEA, ex-sheriffs, whatever. Basically, people who are excellent with all the various firearms and know how to use them in emergency situations. People know how to kill, and people who know how to protect others. They teach you what they know, not just how to aim and shoot at a paper target.

Besides, it is a lot of fun. 10 classes pays for the lifetime membership. To get really good with a handgun, you probably need 3 to 4 classes. I'm confident to do the same with any of the other weapons they offer, its the same thing, 3 to 4 classes.

If that is the case for the average individual, you get to master the handgun, shotgun, and rifle, and then start with semi-autos if you care to or build on the other weapons.

Plus, various guns are different. Master the GLOCK, and then switch to a fancy 1911, and you may need some classes to help you master the new gun.

The training is well worth the money, IMHO. Plus, the company is letting me pay for it over several years with no finance charges, but I get full membership benes now.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 09-28-06 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
what state are you in? that might affect if you can rent a gun at a range
can't rent a handgun in NY without a pistol permit

might be a good idea to just the hometown forum for your state over here, probably get some good recomendations for local ranges
http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=8

I'd start with a .22lr to get the fundamentals down without having to worry about possibly flinching from recoil

Last edited by mikehunt; 09-28-06 at 08:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.