Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Involved in Car Accident, Should I Claim Insurance?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-14-06, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got involved in a car accident today while driving back home. My car went off the road and hit the ditch. No other car was involved.

At first I called my insurance company to arrange for a tow truck. But then the state tropper arrived and insist I must used the tow truck he called so I have to cancelled the one provided by the insurance company.

Now I am thinking of paying the damage all by myself. The damage is not too bad from what I see and my deductible is $1000 anyway. I am doing this because I don't want my premium to shoot off the roof for the next few years. But since I already call the insurance company and they already set up a claim for me, is it too late for me to back up now? If I am able to pay the damage myself, would they still keep the record even though they didn't pay for the damage? Thanks for any advice.

Lately, things hasn't been going well professionally and personally for me. This accident certainly didn't help the situation. I feel like loosing interest on everything even for things that usually entice me. I know I am depressed. Thanks for letting me ranting.
Old 09-14-06, 06:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
Sorry about the accident, and glad you're okay.

If you already called your insurance company to have them call a tow truck, they already know about it. If I were you, I'd get an estimate on the repairs, and if you can't afford it go back to the insurance company to take care of it (they most likely can't claim lack of notice since you already called them). If the repairs aren't that expensive, pay it yourself and don't make a claim. Hopefully there will be no increase in insurance rates if you don't make a claim.

Sorry things aren't going well for you in general. You just have to determine what part(s) of your situation are in your control and do your best to fix them, and not worry about stuff you can't control.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$1000 deductible then what's the point. Mine is like $250
Old 09-14-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
$1000 deductible then what's the point. Mine is like $250

Several reasons. Mostly because I'm sure his premium is a ton less than yours. Especially you living in Orlando.

edit: I see he's from Baltimore and going to school with a ton of people from the NoVa/MD area. People from MD are the absolute worst drivers EVER!!! So the rates themselves are probably similar the premium is what would be less.
Old 09-14-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you claim insurance you run the risk of them totalling the car. Depending on the year/value/type of insurance you have (comprehensive vs. liability) you could be screwed.

If it's a newer vehicle and still worth a lot, the cost of fixing it will be less than the value, so you'll be ok, and if you so choose could still have it covered by comprehensive insurance. If the cost to fix the vehicle is more than what the car's worth, they will "total" the vehicle and pay you what the car is worth. With that, you can purchase the car back from the insurance company but it will now have a salvage title. Even if you fixed the car back to it's original/like-new condition, say finding a body-guy who works on the cheap, the vehicle will always have the salvage title, which makes it worth nothing/very little if you were to try an sell it AND with a salvage title, you will only be allowed to put liability insurance on the vehicle.
Old 09-14-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MD car insurance is stupid expensive....it ended up being MORE than my NJ insurance. FL seems cheap compared to them.

-p
Old 09-15-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
Several reasons. Mostly because I'm sure his premium is a ton less than yours. Especially you living in Orlando.

edit: I see he's from Baltimore and going to school with a ton of people from the NoVa/MD area. People from MD are the absolute worst drivers EVER!!! So the rates themselves are probably similar the premium is what would be less.
Because it makes your premium ALOT lower
Old 09-15-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
If you can take care of yourself without causing hardship, I would do that.
Old 09-15-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even if your insurance company knows about it, you still have to file a claim. They do not want to get involved, because that means they might have to pay out money. The only reason they would butt in is if you were hurt, property damage was done, or some one else was hurt. As it seems, none of the above applies, so they are adopting the attitude, "I know nozthin'!" until you actually file. How old are you? How many years with that insurance company? How is your driving record? These questions will determine if you will have your premiums increase. Considering it was an accident that was your fault (I am guessing, at least. From your original post, it seems that you were driving, weren't paying attention, and your car went off the road. Was there an animal in the road? Any reason you ended up in the ditch that can be proven?) there is a good chance that your premiums would increase.
Old 09-15-06, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Sorry about the accident, and glad you're okay.

If you already called your insurance company to have them call a tow truck, they already know about it. If I were you, I'd get an estimate on the repairs, and if you can't afford it go back to the insurance company to take care of it (they most likely can't claim lack of notice since you already called them). If the repairs aren't that expensive, pay it yourself and don't make a claim. Hopefully there will be no increase in insurance rates if you don't make a claim.
That's what I am trying to do. The repair shop will call back this afternoon with an estimates. I will pay for it if it's $2000-$3000. Anything more than that I will claim insurance.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Sorry things aren't going well for you in general. You just have to determine what part(s) of your situation are in your control and do your best to fix them, and not worry about stuff you can't control.

Good luck.
Yesterday morning a coworker ask me how am I doing and I said "not that good". He told me I should be glad that I can still wake up in th emorning. I answered him that I would rather not being able to wake up at all. When the accident happen, I just wish that's the end.

Originally Posted by gijon213
Even if your insurance company knows about it, you still have to file a claim. They do not want to get involved, because that means they might have to pay out money. The only reason they would butt in is if you were hurt, property damage was done, or some one else was hurt. As it seems, none of the above applies, so they are adopting the attitude, "I know nozthin'!" until you actually file. How old are you? How many years with that insurance company? How is your driving record? These questions will determine if you will have your premiums increase. Considering it was an accident that was your fault (I am guessing, at least. From your original post, it seems that you were driving, weren't paying attention, and your car went off the road. Was there an animal in the road? Any reason you ended up in the ditch that can be proven?) there is a good chance that your premiums would increase.
It was raining all day in Baltimore and I loss control of the car. No other car or person involved. It's just my car that got damaged, and quite minimal from what I see. I came out of the car scratch free.

I have to be honest that my driving record is not excellent. My record just cleared up recently and that's why I don't want to screw it up again.

Last edited by ftsoh; 09-15-06 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-15-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
People from MD are the absolute worst drivers EVER!!! So the rates themselves are probably similar the premium is what would be less.

Trust me, I'm sure Marylanders think that VA drivers are the worst ever, and CT drivers think that MA drivers are the worst ever, etc., etc., etc.
Old 09-15-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by ftsoh
Lately, things hasn't been going well professionally and personally for me. This accident certainly didn't help the situation. I feel like loosing interest on everything even for things that usually entice me. I know I am depressed. Thanks for letting me ranting.
When it rains, it pours. I know the feeling. If your company's health insurance has an EAP (Employee Assistance Program), give them a call and see about getting some help.

Good luck and hang in there
Old 09-15-06, 10:28 AM
Banned

That's what I am trying to do. The repair shop will call back this afternoon with an estimates. I will pay for it if it's $2000-$3000. Anything more than that I will claim insurance..
This will not be a logical thing to do at all. Your insurance premium may, or may not increase (depending on the circumstances) but not much to justify paying an extra $2,000.00 out of pocket expense, when your deductible is a $1,000.00, and your insurance company will pay the remainding balance of the claim. That's $2,000.00 you can save. This is the reason why your paying auto insurance coverage, just for this purpose.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 09-15-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 11:25 AM

I don't know about US insurance law, but under UK law when you renew your insurance your insurer can ask about accidents that you did not claim for. Then they can increase your premiums if you've had an accident even if you'd paid for the accident yourself. Denying having had an accident when you had had one would, of course, invalidate your insurance so if they ask and you lie you can end up without any cover.

If I didn't know better I'd say that insurance companies were trying to just gauge us for as much money as they can get with no real desire to actually pay out if we need to make a claim.
Old 09-15-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People from MD are the absolute worst drivers EVER!!! So the rates themselves are probably similar the premium is what would be less.
In general the whole DC/MD/VA area are full of Nascar drivers...even the ones who spent $300 on a broken POS
Old 09-15-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
MD car insurance is stupid expensive....it ended up being MORE than my NJ insurance. FL seems cheap compared to them.

-p
Everyone I know in NJ pays MUCH more in car insurance than I do.

And the worst drivers by far are either PA or Deleware
Old 09-15-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Birrman54

Hey! We are much worst drivers here in PA then in Deleware. Seriously, how could you put us on an equal level....
Old 09-16-06, 12:17 AM

Got the quote. $2500. I will pay for it myself. Now have to live without car for two weeks.

Luckily I can get to work by light rail, even though it is not very convenient. I also have some friends that can drive me to grocery shopping.

Last edited by ftsoh; 09-16-06 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-16-06, 02:38 AM
Banned

Got the quote. $2500. I will pay for it myself. Now have to live without car for two weeks.

Luckily I can get to work by light rail, even though it is not very convenient. I also have some friends that can drive me to grocery shopping.
Well, I tried to explain. You want to give the body shop an extra $1,500.00 of free money out of pocket, when you'll be only required to pay a $1,000.00 deductible, if filed through your insurance company. If another vehicle was involved in this accident, will you be eagerly willing to pay an astronomical amount of money for their auto damage, and bodily injuries (if applicable,) in fear of your premium being increased? That's what insurance is for.
If you continue on paying for your own auto repairs, whenever an accident occurs, you might as well cancel your insurance, because you'll be paying a premium for nothing.

I sure can put $2,500.00 to good use.
Old 09-16-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may also want to find out if your insurance company provides a rental while you are with out a car. All rental companies have discounted rates for insurance companies for just such a situation. It is called the insurance replacement rate. It is normally 50% or more less then what you would normally pay for a rental.
Old 09-16-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Insurance Company: "Good. Our plan to scare our users from actually getting what they paid for worked again."
Old 09-16-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Well, I tried to explain. You want to give the body shop an extra $1,500.00 of free money out of pocket, when you'll be only required to pay a $1,000.00 deductible, if filed through your insurance company. If another vehicle was involved in this accident, will you be eagerly willing to pay an astronomical amount of money for their auto damage, and bodily injuries (if applicable,) in fear of your premium being increased? That's what insurance is for.
If you continue on paying for your own auto repairs, whenever an accident occurs, you might as well cancel your insurance, because you'll be paying a premium for nothing.

I sure can put $2,500.00 to good use.
Ditto.
Old 09-16-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys musta missed the part where he said his driving record was not so good. Maybe it's bad enough where he's afraid they might drop him. If that happens, it will be very difficult to get reasonable insurance with another provider.
Old 09-16-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Birrman54

But NY wins the race...not in all of NY, but in Brooklyn, we have NJ beat by a mile.
Old 09-16-06, 01:56 PM
Banned

At first I called my insurance company to arrange for a tow truck.
Nope, you're screwed. They set your rate based on "history of damage to the car" not based on your claim rate. I was screwed about 6 months ago when a rock hit my windshield. I didn't know about the "$25 filler" people, so I put in a call to the insurance company. They sent a guy out who said he could fix it for $25 (I have a $250 deductible). I asked the same question and found out about this issue.

Just for that, I made them replace the full windshield at a cost of $1000.