Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Seriously, WTH is wrong with people on eBay lately?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-06-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From getting flaked on every other auction to this annoying new trend:

I have yet to hear from you even after paying you yesterday. I'm just making sure you've already shipped the shoes and am wondering where my tracking # is at. With $18 shipping I expect quick shipment with trackability. Please reply asap with my tracking # and confirmation on when shoes were shipped. Thank you.
I mean, damn, read the auction people. This is getting annoying that it's happening every time I sell something now. I have 100% positive feedback, and people lately are treating me like I'm stealing their money if I don't ship the item the same day. I had someone e-mail me on a Sunday night asking if his item he won TWO HOURS earlier had shipped. WTF is wrong with these people?
Old 09-06-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$18 shipping for a pair of shoes? that does sound high
Old 09-06-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are double boxed, the box is $2.50, priority mail with DC is $12-$13+ depending on location. Not really high at all. Most people charge $22 for shoes in the US.

The main point is, I shouldn't be getting constant e-mails from people like this the same night or the very next day when the auction clearly states:

Domestic Handling Time
Will usually ship within 4 business days of receiving cleared payment.

Now, I always get them out earlier than that, but that's what it's there for, to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Last edited by Quake1028; 09-06-06 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I generally only sell DVD's and Videogames on Ebay, so I just use media mail unless it's going outside the country. Last night I sold a DVD boxset and after it went off, the guy sent me money through PayPal and was like "Oh by the way, could you make sure this arrives before the 11th? It's a birthday present." I'm a nice guy, so I'll go ahead and send it priority tomorrow, but isn't that something you should ask about BEFORE the auction ends?
Old 09-06-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is my point exactly. By winning the auction, you agree to ALL terms in the auction IMO. It's your job to read the shipping method, shipping time, rates, etc.
Old 09-06-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this is why ebay sucks now

back in the late 1990's people knew they were buying used, now you have a bunch of noobs who think they are buying from amazon and expect the same service

too bad i have to sell some shower parts soon i don't need
Old 09-06-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I mean, damn, read the auction people. This is getting annoying that it's happening every time I sell something now. I have 100% positive feedback, and people lately are treating me like I'm stealing their money if I don't ship the item the same day. I had someone e-mail me on a Sunday night asking if his item he won TWO HOURS earlier had shipped. WTF is wrong with these people?
Most people don't bother to read the auction, as you said. I once read that the average American reads on an eighth grade reading level, so missing the finer points of shipping is something that's pretty common. I'm in my 9th year as an ebay user, and it's definately worse now than when I started-- in the mid/late '90s, before ebay was a household hame, I really think that ebay users, overall, were a notch above what they are now. Today, ebay is so mainstream that any moron with a computer can jump into the ring, and it happens constantly.

If you stated it's $18 for shipping, and the buyer bids and wins, then they agree to pay $18 for shipping, period, which should mean doing so without hounding you for what the buyer expects to get for his or her money.

I've also heard of some 100% feedback sellers who claim to be hassled a bit more than the sub 100-percenters because some buyers feel insulated from getting a negative feedback form a perfect-feedback seller, believing that the seller fears a retaliatory negative (which would knock them out of the 100% club).

I think of eBay as a store-- anyone can walk in. And the neighborhood's been changing.
Old 09-06-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
back in the late 1990's people knew they were buying used, now you have a bunch of noobs who think they are buying from amazon and expect the same service
exactly.

I have VERY explicit instructions in my template page, and I tend to just refer people to that. I've been pretty lucky with my e-bay stuff *knocks on wood*, and my buyers haven't been overly demanding. IIRC I had one person bug me with a couple e-mails, but nothing too excessive. I charge fair amounts for shipping and specify what kind, require insurance AND tracking, give a time frame, etc. My avg. e-bay sale is ~$200....so i tend to avoid the super cheap people who want to pay media mail rates, and expect something overnight.

-p
Old 09-06-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Add a line in your description that says all inquiries must come via certified mail through USPS
Old 09-06-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Quake1028, have you read my reply yet?

Old 09-06-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Quake1028, have you read my reply yet?

Anywho, the dude e-mailed back and apologized after I sent a rather scathing e-mail. I guess I will just have to add yet another disclaimer to my auctions. The bad thing is, these aren't n00b eBay users who are doing this, it's people with plenty of feedback.
Old 09-06-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People don't read on eBay. I've been a seller for four years and in that time, I've really seen it all. I've had emails from people demanding to know the status of their item, even though I send an email when I ship the item to let them know of the DC number. I've had people ask me questions about the item that are clearly stated in the auction (I give all the facts, but don't ramble, since I know they aren't reading, anyway).

Pedagogue, what are you selling where your average sale is $200? Or is it a secret?
Old 09-06-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Pedagogue, what are you selling where your average sale is $200? Or is it a secret?
Mostly large collections of dvds (full series, etc), electronics, etc. I'm going to kill my average though....I have a couple photo printers and a couple spare MP3 players, GBA, all laying around....all nice items, but nothing much over $125-$150.

-p
Old 09-06-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Give them a link to your auction and then bold the important parts. Works most of the time.

Edit. What Pedagogue said. Just write a nice and tight template, stick to it, etc. Haven't had any problems.
Old 09-07-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
UPS might be cheaper in your case. they include tracking, confirmation, and insurance (up to 100) in their base price.

anyways, a few years ago, i sold a processor that was a system pull from a Dell i bought. i stated in the auction that the chip was a system pull, and was sold "as is", but here's an e-mail that i got about it:

Hi Dan,

I will be submitting payment momentarily. I ran a check with Intel on
whether the CPU has a warranty, and it in fact does.

I am glad that the CPU has a warranty. Traditionally, when a seller is
selling something defective it is made more clear either in the title
or at
the top of the auction. I wasn't aware when I placed a bid that it was
defective. The entire block of the auction appeared to be
specifications to
me. Regardless, we don't have to have this debate. I'll be glad to
purchase the processor.

Please let me know when you ship.
Old 09-07-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
since we have some ebay sellers here, what's the best & cheapest way to package cds/dvds for shipping?
Old 09-07-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never sold them individually, since I sold multiple box sets at the same time, so mine was in standard boxes with the bubble bags (from amazon, etc). I'd love any suggestions about single/double cases since I might unload some eventually.

I would typically mail FedEx Ground, though I would also use UPS Ground, depending on the pricing. I have online biz accounts for both, so it is a pretty easy process to print everything out, and then drop them off at a local shipping place. I stick mostly with this one place, since the woman knows me and always writes up a receipt for my package drop-off.

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 09-07-06 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
since we have some ebay sellers here, what's the best & cheapest way to package cds/dvds for shipping?
cheapest way to do it right i have seen is buy brown paper, and large rolls of bubble wrap...the yellow envelopes can sometimes be just a bit to tight, and cost more than if you wrap them yourself...as always with multiple items and box sets use a small box.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ebay is a bitch right now....for me
Old 09-07-06, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The USPS Priority Mail boxes are about the right size for 1 or 2 DVD/CD and the price is right - free.
Old 09-07-06, 06:09 AM

eBay is full of morons. In a recent auction I sold a trading card for the Family Guy TV series. I described it as a trading card and listed it in the trading cards category. I even put a nice scan of the card. It sold for 99p. The person who bought it was US based and I charged 1 to ship to the US. Total price 1.99 (around $3.40).

The person who won it complained because they said they thought they were bidding on the full season set on DVD. I couldn't even cover postage with 1.99 let alone make any money on the DVD.
Old 09-07-06, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SO.... you sent my damn shoes yet???
Old 09-07-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
UPS might be cheaper in your case. they include tracking, confirmation, and insurance (up to 100) in their base price.

anyways, a few years ago, i sold a processor that was a system pull from a Dell i bought. i stated in the auction that the chip was a system pull, and was sold "as is", but here's an e-mail that i got about it:
To be fair, "system pull" and "as is" doesn't automatically mean defective. If it was defective, it's a way to sugarcoat the auction to get away with selling something defective for more money. Anything not working should state just that, not working. If you did state that it was defective, then it's on the buyer for not reading.
Old 09-07-06, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
The USPS Priority Mail boxes are about the right size for 1 or 2 DVD/CD and the price is right - free.
But make sure you are mailing priority because otherwise it's illegal to use them
Old 09-07-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Had a similar story. I was out of town when my auction ended on a Thur night. I got home Sat morning, and the guy that won was livid I hadn't sent the product out on Friday. I calmly told him, that we normally have 72 hours to respond to the auction per eBay's rules, and I would send out on Monday. He was still pissed, then he realized he was replying to the wrong auction. WTF? And he left me positive feedback on Sunday before I even shipped the item. (He was a total newbie to eBay as well)
Old 09-07-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had a couple of co-workers who wanted me to show them how e-bay works. Well, they started to go hog wild bidding and the like. I was very mindful to tell them that they need to READ the auctions very carefully, so you won't get disappointed.

Of course they didn't. One girl ended up winning an auction on a very expensive handbag. She thought she got a great deal, but failed to notice it was an overseas auction and she needed to calculate for BRITISH POUNDS (which, if I'm correct e-bay does for you if you look!). Oh well, I guess I won't get the bag....What!!!! Then she wanted to know why the seller was pissed that she renege?!!!!!!

And the time she asked me to sell a purse for her. My e-bay reputation is great, 100% positive. So, I put the bag out for her and I think it didn't get any bids. Well, to garner more interest, she had her friend bid on the purse..a friend that had no intention on buying said purse. Morons!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.