Reload this Page >

Mustang GT okay for winter driving?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-02-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, after so many years of school I've finished my education and will be starting my job in a couple of months. I'm thinking of purchasing my first car and I have always wanted a Ford Mustang since I was 15 years old. I'm aware of the high insurance rates, but I am getting a great deal on where I'm living, and I have no other major expenses, being a single guy with a nice home theater and computer already paid off and so forth.

The thing is, I live in Nebraska, and we can have nasty winters, although the last couple years we've had almost no snow. Now, the more practical side of me says to get a Subaru WRX STi, or a Volkswagen R32, which are both fast and have AWD., however I love the sound of a V8 and I love the looks of the Mustang. Plus finding a R32 could be tricky, since they are rarer.

If I were to get snow tires, like Bridgestone Blizzack's how much better would it be for winter driving? Is the car really that bad to drive up hills if it's slippery? My friend who had an M3 says you can totally manage with the right tires., however it's still a powerful rear wheel drive car. I would hate to buy it and find out it's completely undrivable in the winter. I am not going to do crazy modications on it., I just want a nice 5 speed Mustang GT and maybe down the road get an aftermarket exhaust, but otherwise keep it stock.
Old 09-02-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how the winter compare to MI, but I drove a Camaro and a Mustand year around. While both are managable, there will be some days you cannot go anywhere.

I probably wouldn't do it again though, but it was fun when I was younger.
Old 09-02-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The Mustang with a V8 is pretty bad on snow and ice. Snow tires will help, so will a hundred pounds or so of sand or cat litter in the trunk (and you can use some for traction when you get stuck). Even with those, it won't be great in winter.
Old 09-02-06, 04:24 PM

Buy a 1997 Honda Civic and start saving for your retirement. Remember that someone your age will need a couple million to be able to retire. That is only living on an average level in the future.
Old 09-02-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What model year? If it an 07, then it has the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitering System) on the wheels. So, if you are going to change the wheels and/or tire diameter, this could pose a problem. This will be a requirement for all '07+ vehicles.

I don't remember how the new S197, 05+ Mustangs handled in the winter states.
Old 09-02-06, 05:33 PM

i am 23 and drive a 1999 mustang gt 35th anniversary edition w/ 48k miles.

i live in cleveland, so our winters go from november to as late as april. driving in the winter with my car is NOT FUN. AT ALL. I have had the experience of "driving sideways" one too many times- thank god I never crashed. Not only will you have problems in even an inch of snow, but you must be VERY CAREFUL in the rain. It will only take a few quick turns for you to learn to take turns VERY slowly in ANY kind of weather.

Oh yeah- good luck driving up a hill of any kind if there is snow on it. It ain't gonna happen. If you do decide to get the car, keep a shovel in your trunk. Snow tires MIGHT help, but they are VERY pricey. I go for the year-round tires and they are about $200 each.

You probably already know that gas mileage ain't going to be a walk in the park either- it seems like every few days, I am throwing $40 into my tank.

I keep wanting to sell it and get something more reliable for Cleveland weather (as well as gas prices).

all in all, i would advise AGAINST a Mustang GT. Do what the other poster said and get something cheap/reliable like an older Civic and start putting money in your 401k (i am really liking the Scion TC's- really sporty, good mileage, VERY accessable price point, reliable from what i've read, FUN to drive)

If you lived in Florida, Cali, Texas, Arizona, etc. I MIGHT say "go for it" if you have a lot of cash... but if you actually have a winter that is longer than a month, DON'T DO IT!!

Last edited by AndyCleveland; 09-02-06 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not a huge fan of the new body style, I'm thinking a '03 or '04 GT with low miles. Well, the thought of having to carry a shovel w/ me and pay $200/tire just for driving in 1 season doesn't sound appealing OR practical. Unfortunately I'll be stuck in the midwest for awhile so I may just get something else, like the R32 or the WRX STi. Maybe once I start making more money I can get one just for good weather driving., but until then I don't think it's feasible.
Old 09-02-06, 06:28 PM

good choice...
you may want to do some more research, but my testimony is 1st hand. the only reason i'm still driving this car is because my monthly payment is very low.
Old 09-02-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with AllHallowsEvem, buy a used civic and suck it up for a couple years.

Just out of school, first job, etc, etc you really should not be buying a $30k car new.

Wait until you have enough saved up to pay half in cash and still have 6 months living expenses "in the bank". Until then, you can't afford it.

If you think you need a cool car to get laid, you are wrong.
Old 09-02-06, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG

If you think you need a cool car to get laid, you are wrong.

agreed
Old 09-02-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I drove a Camaro for 3 years in northern Michigan (Kalkaska) and never had a problem. I've been driving for 30 years, and have never used snow tires or chains.
Old 09-02-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I say go for a Subaru or Honda as others have mentioned. The AWD Subaru is a good idea if you have bad winters.
Old 09-02-06, 10:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
Not only will you have problems in even an inch of snow, but you must be VERY CAREFUL in the rain. It will only take a few quick turns for you to learn to take turns VERY slowly in ANY kind of weather.
Shouldn't you just get better tires if you have problems in rain?
Old 09-03-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
Shouldn't you just get better tires if you have problems in rain?
Mustangs have a live rear axle and this produces tons of oversteer (fishtailing)., so naturally they are particularly skittish in wet weather moreso than other cars.

I still have a couple of months to decide on which car to get., this will give me ample time to consider all factors, and also get behind the wheel of a few and see which I like the best. It will be between:

Volkswagen R32 (2004) - most practical, nicest interior
Subaru WRX STi (2004-2005) - fastest, looks the best, handles the best
Mustang GT 5speed (2004) - V8 rumble, cheapest to purchase, easy to find

The Volks is listed first because that is the car I'm leaning towards the most right now. STi will perform the best, but is flashy looking with the wheels and big rear wing (cop magnet), and is not as refined for everyday commuting, it's more like a race car. The Volks is more comfortable, practical and low key but still has some balls. Mustang is last on the list as far as practicality (rear wheel drive). The Volks and STi are both AWD which would be great for winter driving.

Any other car you guys suggest? I'd like it to be a manual transmission car that has lots of power. And no I'm not getting a Dodge Neon.. lol!

BTW just because I want a nice fast car doesn't mean I am trying to use it to get laid.
Old 09-03-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get the Mustang. Get a $1000 winter beater for the 4 times a year you will have to drive in the snow. If you think about it they get streets cleared pretty fast nowadays. Unless you are driving in a a snow storm I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 09-04-06, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I also had always wanted a brand new Mustang GT, whenever I could afford one. When I was 20, I could afford it, so I bought a 2000 GT. Living in Denver, this proved a little difficult with driving. Many times I was sliding sideways up hills, or towards stoplights.

I kept the Mustang, and bought an $800 front wheel drive commuter car. The Mustang kicks ass, stays safe, and I get to work on time.
Old 09-04-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NaturalMystic79
Mustangs have a live rear axle and this produces tons of oversteer (fishtailing)., so naturally they are particularly skittish in wet weather moreso than other cars.

I still have a couple of months to decide on which car to get., this will give me ample time to consider all factors, and also get behind the wheel of a few and see which I like the best. It will be between:

Volkswagen R32 (2004) - most practical, nicest interior
Subaru WRX STi (2004-2005) - fastest, looks the best, handles the best
Mustang GT 5speed (2004) - V8 rumble, cheapest to purchase, easy to find

The Volks is listed first because that is the car I'm leaning towards the most right now. STi will perform the best, but is flashy looking with the wheels and big rear wing (cop magnet), and is not as refined for everyday commuting, it's more like a race car. The Volks is more comfortable, practical and low key but still has some balls. Mustang is last on the list as far as practicality (rear wheel drive). The Volks and STi are both AWD which would be great for winter driving.

Any other car you guys suggest? I'd like it to be a manual transmission car that has lots of power. And no I'm not getting a Dodge Neon.. lol!

BTW just because I want a nice fast car doesn't mean I am trying to use it to get laid.
Just an FYI, just because a car has AWD doesn't mean it's a great snow car. The STI is a perfect example. Because of the brembro brakes and the way the rims are, even with snow tires you get alot of snow build up on the brakes so they are a bit iffy in the snow. Check NASIOC. If I were you, I'd get either a standard WRX, Legacy GT, or even just a non turbo Impreza or Legacy. I've got a non turbo 04 impreza and it's a blast. What's the point of paying for premium fuel, higher payments, and higher insurance when you won't get to use the speed in most situations.
As for the R32, it's a cool car but is very pricey because there are so few of them (they're still selling for used what they were new or close to it). Plus, since it's a VW, plan on becoming good friends with your mechanic.
Old 09-04-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

.... I am getting a great deal on where I'm living, and I have no other major expenses....
Above your parent's garage? Their basement?
Old 09-04-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
Above your parent's garage? Their basement?
Haha, nah, I'm living at my buddies house for practically nothing at all. $350/month in a good neighborhood with utilities, cable TV and cable modem ALL included. Not to mention it's 5 mins from where I work.

Mindtrap and Mopower, I like the idea of getting a really cheap FWD beater and using it for the few times I drive in the winter. I want a Mustang really bad, and I could find a 2003 or 2004 very cheap. The STi and R32 would be a hell of a lot more money and like Cardiff mentioned, the VW is not very reliable. Had no idea the STi was bad in the snow, either.
Old 09-04-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haha, nah, I'm living at my buddies house for practically nothing at all. $350/month in a good neighborhood with utilities, cable TV and cable modem ALL included. Not to mention it's 5 mins from where I work.

Mindtrap and Mopower, I like the idea of getting a really cheap FWD beater and using it for the few times I drive in the winter. I want a Mustang really bad, and I could find a 2003 or 2004 very cheap. The STi and R32 would be a hell of a lot more money and like Cardiff mentioned, the VW is not very reliable. Had no idea the STi was bad in the snow, either.
Like I said, the STI isn't bad in snow totally, it's just that with the stock rims (and obviously winter tires, don't EVER try driving in snow on Summer tires!) you get some snow buildup on the big brembo brakes which can cause some scariness at first. Search around NASIOC. From what I remember, the problem is pretty much alleviated with steel wheels and snow tires.
Like I said before, check into a Legacy GT or a used regular WRX/2.5RS Especially now that the 07's are out soon, you may be able to find a used 06 WRX (with a 2.5L turbo not the 2.0L turbo of the 02-05 models). I agree though a FWD car with the right tires is probably on par with a AWD car with bad tires, and believe me any non STI impreza comes with pretty bad stockers (Potenza RE92).
Funny side note to that. There's this guy in my complex who has like an Impala or something that he put big chrome rims on and low profile tires. I saw he put his winter wheels on the other day and low and behold his "winter" tire is the crappy goodness of the all season Potenza RE92. I couldn't help but chuckle.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 09-04-06 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-04-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
there are some mkv r32's in the states already...

this was in CA

this was in TX

and of course the hpa

all are euro-spec though. the NA ones are supposed to be here as an '08 model.
Old 09-04-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I drive a 2002 Mustang in Florida and I've had no problems with it. I didn't realize that crap about snow and everything. One of the main reasons why I don't want to move out of Florida.
Old 09-04-06, 02:51 PM

I have a 1996 Mustang Cobra and it is very tricky to drive on the ice and snow. A couple of years ago I was driving home from work in some heavy snow. I made it to my neighborhood without incident but as I was making a left turn into my addition, the car slid sideways into a curb and broke both of my passenger side wheels in half and broke the rear axle. Now when it snows, I just stay home.
Old 09-04-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another question for you Mustang GT owners, does it require premium fuel or can you use regular? I'm guessing the Subaru WRX STi recommends 92/93 octane. Another reason not to get it, and get the Stang instead.
Old 09-05-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I use regular. Olddude has discussed at length about the virtues of which fuel to use.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.