Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Think it's harder to quit smoking now than in the past? You're right!!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-30-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1948554.shtml

I think something should be done to correct this obvious fixing* of the cancer sticks

*to make them more addictive
Old 08-30-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought this was old news?
Old 08-30-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I quit two weeks ago.
Old 08-30-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The fact is that is sucks to try to quit. I did quit on July 4, 2005. I still walk by smokers and sniff deeply because I love it. I just hate that it's bad for me. For me, I had to quit cold-turkey. Why have another problem? The fact is that you need willpower to quit.
Old 08-30-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by saoirse
The fact is that is sucks to try to quit. I did quit on July 4, 2005. I still walk by smokers and sniff deeply because I love it. I just hate that it's bad for me. For me, I had to quit cold-turkey. Why have another problem? The fact is that you need willpower to quit.
Yeah... the thing is (and most people will disagree) nicotine is not that addictive. The physical addiction is over in a week or so and can usually be nullified with nicotine replacement systems. Cigarettes are psychologically addicting, which is why people still feel the urge after years of non-smoking. What ever additive they added to cigarettes was not what made it truly hard to quit. It was the ACT of smoking that was addicting.
Old 08-30-06, 08:33 PM

When I quit, I drank green tea like there was no tomorrow, just to get rid of the chemical addiction. I knew at that point, that I could handle the psycological addiction.
Old 08-31-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I quit two weeks ago.
Good job, keep it up. I've been almost two months complete tobacco free now.

Flip through this report, "The Health Benefits of Smoking Cessation", 1990 by the Surgeon General:

http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/NN/B/B/C/T/_/nnbbct.pdf

It's a big document but just start reading some chapters, it really was a strong motivator for me when I stopped (cold turkey). I remember the personnel director where I work, she was in her early ‘50s when she was diagnosed with emphysema. When I saw her next she was on oxygen and had quit smoking of course. She told me “I enjoyed smoking all those years, but knowing what I now know [not being able to breath], it wasn’t worth it.” She died a few months later.
Old 08-31-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. I'm sure glad I quit before it became hard.
Old 08-31-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You see, this is the shit I'm talking about and the same shit some here keep blowing me off with. They're mucking with the tobacco and I really believe this makes the tobacco in cigarettes far more lethal. I also believe this is something that DOESN'T happen to cigars and this is probably why most Cigars smokers aren't addicted the way Cigarette smokers are.

Mind you, although I may smoke one or two cigars a year, I'M NOT A TRUE smoker. But I sympathize with cigarette smokers because of what they do to the tobacco. Anyway, I can certainly go without smoking a cigar because there's no addiction to them. By contrast all the cigarette smokers I know can't even go a few hours without needing to light up.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-31-06 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-31-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm right there with you, Giantrobo, although I smoke pipes moreso than cigars. About once a week on average, but I give it up for Lent every year.

The stuff that goes into most cigarettes is not only lower grade tobacco but also laced with just about any chemical they can get away with. No thank you.
Old 08-31-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by saoirse
When I quit, I drank green tea like there was no tomorrow, just to get rid of the chemical addiction. I knew at that point, that I could handle the psycological addiction.

Just curious - what does the green tea have to do with it? I don't smoke, but I started drinking green tea about a month ago and really enjoy it.....
Old 08-31-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Yeah... the thing is (and most people will disagree) nicotine is not that addictive. The physical addiction is over in a week or so and can usually be nullified with nicotine replacement systems. Cigarettes are psychologically addicting, which is why people still feel the urge after years of non-smoking. What ever additive they added to cigarettes was not what made it truly hard to quit. It was the ACT of smoking that was addicting.
I am not going to say that you are completely wrong here. Just that it might vary from person to person as far as how addictive nicotine is. Some people seem to do better with it than others. It seemed to me that the nicotine was the thing kept me hooked for so long. I would use the patch to quit and would find myself hooked to the patch. I would go 6+ weeks without smoking, but felt the withdrawals if I tried to decrease the patch. (I actually think I was getting a cleaner/steadier dose of nicotine from the patch than I was from the ciagrettes.)

Eventually I had to quit cold turkey. Its been 3 or 4 years now (I stopped keeping track) since I quit. However, I still consider myself a recoveing nicotine addict. For that reason, I'll never touch another cigarette.
Old 08-31-06, 09:24 AM

Bah, it's easy to quit. I've done five times already, and that's just this year.
Old 08-31-06, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Just curious - what does the green tea have to do with it? I don't smoke, but I started drinking green tea about a month ago and really enjoy it.....
I believe it flushes toxins out the system faster, hence a shorter physical addiction.
Old 08-31-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I believe it flushes toxins out the system faster, hence a shorter physical addiction.

Good to know - I think I'm becoming addicted to the green tea, looks like I'll have to pick up smoking to get off the stuff - thanks.....
Old 08-31-06, 12:06 PM

Yeah, my thinking was that green tea would flush out that bad, bring in the good and also keep me too busy wizzing to be able to smoke.

Also, White Tea is great (has more anti-oxidents than green tea). I also like Rooibos and Oolong. If you want to flavor it up, they have a great selection at Teavana. They have many stores, but also have a website if there is not a store near you.

Currently I have:
Rooibos Chai
Rooibos Toffee (great evening drink)
Iron Buddha Oolong
To Life (a mix of white and green and something else I can't remember)
Jasmin Dragon Phoenix Pearls

Anyway, yep it helped me quit, but really you have to be ready to quit and just do it. But the tea helped me a lot. Also, going to Vegas right before you quit to get it all out of your system may work (that's what I did). Then quit a few days after I got back.