Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! I found a Puggle and decided to keep her.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-30-06, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 2 weeks ago, I went out to see a late movie. Me and my partner come home to find a dog running around by our front door. So, it's 1 a.m.... the dog looks clean and her nails are clipped. We live in a community with newer townhomes that are rented. Surely someone must be looking for her, right? So we took her to all the units with lights still on. No one knew who she belonged to. Then, someone said they remembered seeing her all the time at a particular unit. The lights in the unit were off, but we rang the doorbell anyways.

A woman came over the intercom and said she let the dog out earlier and asked if she was still running around the neighborhood. I said "yes." She said "do you want her? I can't stand the fucking thing anymore. we let her go earlier." I said "let her go?" She said "yes"... I told her I was going to keep the dog and would be over the next day for anything she had bought for the dog.

So I go over to her house the next day. A pro football player and his wife both live there- apparently, I was talking to his wife the night before on the intercom. I gathered all of the dogs belongings and took her back to my house.

So now I have this dog- but she is CRAZY. She is constantly jumping, running, chewing the corners of our walls, and "play" biting. She also pees and poops in the house if we let her out of our sight for even 1 second. The ONLY time I can appreciate/trust her is when she is tired.

Does anyone have any training tips? When she is calm, I can get her to sit, lay down, "let's go". We have a few sessions with a dog trainer that comes to our house, but I would like some more opinions.

We have been told to completely ignore here if she being really hyper. Reward her for good behavior (being calm, listening to commands). And if she tries chewing the wrong thing or biting, give her a quick spray in the mouth with "bitter apple" spray.

I would appreciate any help/tips. The dog is 8 months, so she may be going through a puppy phase still.

Here are some pics of the crazy bitch (literally):

Old 08-30-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

puggles are fuggly.....
Old 08-30-06, 12:43 PM

What's a puggle? A dog that can't cast spells?
Old 08-30-06, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
puggles are fuggly.....
yes, they are.

puggle = pug / beagle mix. one of those designer breeds. I'm not a fan of them, but I couldn't let this dog go to a shelter (or, god forbid, back to those shitty neighbors who kicked her out)
Old 08-30-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you definitely have your work cut out for you. Do you know anyone who owns a dog? the could give you some on the spot advice.

The dog needs to be crate trained asap and you have other issues to deal with.

Try this link

http://www.perfectpaws.com/pupstuff.html
Old 08-30-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well you definitely have your work cut out for you. Do you know anyone who owns a dog? the could give you some on the spot advice.

Try this link

They make for good eating... Definitely go with crate training
Old 08-30-06, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

Try this link

yes, we have her crate trained.
thanks for that link - VERY helpful stuff there!
Old 08-30-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
yes, they are.

puggle = pug / beagle mix. one of those designer breeds.
Translation: mutt
Old 08-30-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes, we have her crate trained.
Ok well I was not sure

She is constantly jumping, running, chewing the corners of our walls, and "play" biting. She also pees and poops in the house if we let her out of our sight for even 1 second. The ONLY time I can appreciate/trust her is when she is tired.
If she is truly crate trained then when you take her out of the crate she needs to go outside before doing anything else.

We have been told to completely ignore here if she being really hyper. Reward her for good behavior (being calm, listening to commands). And if she tries chewing the wrong thing or biting, give her a quick spray in the mouth with "bitter apple" spray.
I cannot imagine spraying bitter apple into a dogs mouth for any reason. Does she have toys to chew on?

What you need to understand is that this dog sounds traumatized enough already. It is going to take alot of work and patience to train this dog and it will not be easy.
Old 08-30-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need:

Buy his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Cesars-Way-Nat...672116?ie=UTF8
Old 08-30-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

btw, who's the pro football player?
Old 08-30-06, 01:10 PM

brian shannon-
i'm sorry, by crate trained, i assumed you were asking if she sleeps there at night (which she does)... please explain the crate training more.

at this point, i am taking her outside to see if she needs to pee at LEAST once an hour.

she has plenty of toys, but chooses to look for the nearest wall corner or shoe or furniture before her toys.

the trainer that comes to our house was hired by the football player. It was $600 for 5 one-hour sessions (i would NEVER pay that much). She has had one lesson so far. The trainer said that the bitter apple spray is great for training not to chew on certain things. I thought it seemed a bit harsh, so i have been simply giving her a toy when she chews on our things and saying "trade".

i am also giving her about an hour of exercise just to calm her down at night. She will go across the room or up and down the stairs 100 times to get her ball before she gets tired.

i'm worn out already, but i realize this takes patience.
andy
Old 08-30-06, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
btw, who's the pro football player?
i wish i could tell you, but don't want to get personal... it is his problem he (and his wife) neglected their dog.
Old 08-30-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You got a lot on your hands with this dog - I think you should be asking yourself how much time you really have to spend with the animal and work with it. This is a big commitment and you should realistically look at the LOE involved.....
Old 08-30-06, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
You got a lot on your hands with this dog - I think you should be asking yourself how much time you really have to spend with the animal and work with it. This is a big commitment and you should realistically look at the LOE involved.....
i've pretty much made the committment to at least try (not to mention that i've spent almost $500 getting her up-to-date on shots and fixed)... what is LOE?
Old 08-30-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by covenant
Translation: mutt
But mutts don't run you $800 when you buy them.
Old 08-30-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The owners just let it out hoping it would get taken, run away, get hit by car, whatever. What a couple of dicks. Don't take on the responsibility if you can't handle it.
Old 08-30-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what is LOE?
Level Of Effort
Old 08-30-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But mutts don't run you $800 when you buy them.

SELL THAT BITCH!
Old 08-30-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm sorry, by crate trained, i assumed you were asking if she sleeps there at night (which she does)... please explain the crate training more.

at this point, i am taking her outside to see if she needs to pee at LEAST once an hour.
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

Crate training is also used when no one is at home, the dog stays in the crate. This is not punishement and should not be used as such. They learn to go outside to do their business after awhile. You need to watch the dogs behavior while they go outside and then learn to recognize it inside. A dog will usually sniff and spin before going and if you see this inside you need to get them outside asap. Also if this dog has gone in the house you need to clean up those areas asap as they have now been marked as "fair territory"

she has plenty of toys, but chooses to look for the nearest wall corner or shoe or furniture before her toys

The trainer said that the bitter apple spray is great for training not to chew on certain things. I thought it seemed a bit harsh, so i have been simply giving her a toy when she chews on our things and saying "trade".
I have sprayed bitter apple on things before such as furniture corners and wall corners. IMHO it does not even work well because the dogs become used to it. Never use a shoe or slipper as a play toy, even as a joke. It may be that the dog is anxious and is chewing on the environment because she is so stressed.

i'm worn out already, but i realize this takes patience
andy
I wish you luck you are trying to do the right thing, I just hope those "people" did not mess this dog up too badly.
Old 08-30-06, 01:59 PM

brian
thank you, your advise is very helpful.
i have discovered a dvd called "the dog whisperer: complete first season" on amazon.com... the reviews say that the advise given on the dvd is very helpful.
maybe i will pick it up, anyone have any experience with it?
Old 08-30-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

brian
thank you, your advise is very helpful.
i have discovered a dvd called "the dog whisperer: complete first season" on amazon.com... the reviews say that the advise given on the dvd is very helpful.
maybe i will pick it up, anyone have any experience with it?
I have watched his tv show before and he appears to have some good info although I have never purchased any of his materials.

Here is some more info about him

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
Old 08-30-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I recently adopted a second beagle. Beagles (as you know) are extremely independant and stubborn dogs. I wanted to return him, but they said we were his last hope, and that if we did he would be destroyed. So we kept him.

He was a challenge. Barking, mouthing, random biting, growling, destruction, pee/poop, you name it, he did it. We tried working with him, but we just weren't getting through to him.

We spoke with a trainer and are working with her. We got the Dogtra electronic collars as well. The purpose is NOT to harm the dog, but simply to redirect their attention. It's basic classical conditioning. The "shock" is akin to a tap on the shoulder. There's no pain.

Since training, he's been a MUCH better dog. He comes when he's called and most of the negative behavior has stopped. We still have some issues, but he's working on it. All told, about a grand for the trainer and collars, but if you are making a 15 year committment to the animal, then it's pennies a day for sanity.
Old 08-30-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My best friend is a dog breeder. One of her major breeds is pugs, and she's done puggles before. They're cute. I'm glad this little gal has someone who cares for her now. Her original owners probably paid good money for her and I would imagine the original breeder would be pissed if they knew what became of the dog. Just a thought.

Pugs are crazy. Part of what you're seeing is just crazy pug behavior (and some of the biting and chewing is uncorrect puppy behavior), but part of it also is that pugs MUST be played with and socialized by the owner. They can be real attention hogs. They usually get along better when they're the only dog in the house.

If you keep this dog, you're going to have to set aside a time each day to play with her. I'm not talking three hours or anything like that, but if you want her to be happy and a good pet, play is important. Also, if she hasn't been fixed, take care of that right away. That will help calm her down (some).

But remember ... pugs are crazy. It's her heritage.
Old 08-30-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you better hope the owner doesn't change their mind and start looking for it.. You should of gotton some kind of signed paper that they gave you the dog..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.