Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Should the FBI's most wanted really include a guy who just has multiple wives?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-30-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know he is also being arrested for child rape by way of arranging marriages between older members of his church and children. If that is true, obviously he is kind of a scumbag, but is he really up there with Osama Bin Landen, terrorists and murderers?
Old 08-30-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I for one slept better last night knowing the guy who marries a lot of people has been apprehended.

Now if we could only catch the villainous slow-in-the-left-lane guy and the dreaded nitpick-over-a-few-pennies-with-the-grocery-store-cashier-while-there-is-a-long-long-behind-them will I ever be at peace.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-30-06 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Well, I for one slept better last night knowing the guy who marries a lot of people has been apprehended.

good.. at least i'm not the only one who feels that way
Old 08-30-06, 11:50 AM

Do you have a little more information than that? I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than having several wives.
Old 08-30-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tvpuff
Do you have a little more information than that? I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than having several wives.

From what I'm reading, I don't think it is.. There is the part about child rape via marriage, but he didn't even have sex with the children. He just faciliated the marriages. I haven't read anything about drugs, stockpiling weapons a la David Koresh, or even tax evasion.
Old 08-30-06, 11:53 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, putting him on the most wanted list seems more appropriate than what Janet Reno did in Waco with a somewhat similar circumstance.
Old 08-30-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should just leave him alone. I'm sure having multiple wives is punishment enough.
Old 08-30-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bronkster
They should just leave him alone. I'm sure having multiple wives is punishment enough.
Old 08-30-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

true.

Saw this on CNN yesterday as "Breaking News!" Guess it was a slow news day. I was like, wow, so he married more than one woman....isn't that punishment enough in itself?

*edit* i typed too much stuff, someone beat me to it

but if he knowingly facilitated child rape, yeah, ok, I'd want him going down.

I know nothing about how they come up with "Ten Most Wanted", but if it were me, I'd put people on there who have somewhat different crimes, and that we have different chances of catching, rather than 10 guys who we don't have a chance in hell of catching, that would be very demoralizing.
Old 08-30-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
From what I'm reading, I don't think it is.. There is the part about child rape via marriage, but he didn't even have sex with the children. He just faciliated the marriages. I haven't read anything about drugs, stockpiling weapons a la David Koresh, or even tax evasion.
Are you sure he didn't have sex with children? From the FBI's most wanted page:

WARREN STEED JEFFS, THE LEADER OF A POLYGAMOUS SECT, IS WANTED FOR THE ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSAULT ON A MINOR IN 2002. HE IS ALSO WANTED FOR ONE COUNT OF CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT SEXUAL CONDUCT WITH A MINOR IN 2002. THE ALLEGED OFFENSES TOOK PLACE IN THE VICINITY OF COLORADO CITY, ARIZONA. ADDITIONALLY, JEFFS IS WANTED FOR RAPE AS AN ACCOMPLICE IN UTAH.
On top of that, I'd recommend doing a little research into the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A good starting point is Jon Krakaur's 'Under the Banner of Heaven'. It amazes and appalls me how long these sick fucks have been able to practice their version of Mormonism in this country and I have absolutely no problem with their leader being one of the FBI's most wanted.
Old 08-30-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The polygamous cult that Warren Jeffs presides over claims to be fundamentalist Mormon; but it does not practice polygamy according to the rules that Mormons had in the days when polygamy was legal (prior to 1890).

A man who wanted to contract plural marriages had to be able to support each family and provide each wife with a separate residence. Jeffs' disciples more commonly collect public assistance, and fraudulently in most cases.

As others have noted, Jeffs' cult basically forces underage girls to marry, sometimes to uncles or other squick-inducingly close relatives.

Having grown up in the RLDS, an offshoot of Mormonism, I really have little problem with polygamy if it is practiced voluntarily by consenting adults. But this guy needed to be captured.
Old 08-30-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They caught the guy from Big Love?
Old 08-30-06, 12:12 PM

Well, one thing's for sure: this guy's probably going to get plenty of "Big Love" where he's going.
Old 08-30-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, one thing's for sure: this guy's probably going to get plenty of "Big Love" where he's going.
Crap Groucho!! You beat me to it!
Old 08-30-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait, so a guy can have multiple wives but two guys can't date? (aside for in straight p0rn of course)
Old 08-30-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To answer what others have said.. The guy seems to be a scumbag 'forcing' children to marry... BTW, where are the parents in all this? Also, per Maxfisher's post, I read that as alleged sexual assault (not rape), conspiracy to committ sexual conduct (nothing happened) and rape as an accomplice (i assume this is not forced)... Bad things, but there are only 9 (not sure where in the top ten he is) people who are worse criminals in the world??

There are sports athletes who have been accused of more and hardly wanted by the fbi as a top 10 .
Old 08-30-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
To answer what others have said.. The guy seems to be a scumbag 'forcing' children to marry... BTW, where are the parents in all this? Also, per Maxfisher's post, I read that as alleged sexual assault (not rape), conspiracy to committ sexual conduct (nothing happened) and rape as an accomplice (i assume this is not forced)... Bad things, but there are only 9 (not sure where in the top ten he is) people who are worse criminals in the world??

There are sports athletes who have been accused of more and hardly wanted by the fbi as a top 10 .
As far as where the parents are, they're brainwashed people or fello whackos that are not allowed to question anything this guy says. He says 'This 13 year old girl is marrying another follower' and next thing you know she's being raped by her new 'husband', who could easily be 40 or 50 years her senior. From what I can tell, women have no say in anything within the community and, under this specific guy, men don't have too much either. I guess the dads can rationalize giving up their own daughters out of the hopes they'll soon be awarded raping/marriage rights for the next 13 yr. old piece of ass that comes down the pipe.

These sick fucks do their best to completely isolate themselves from the rest of the world. Their 'church' owns the entire town they're primarily based out of, holds all the local elected offices and kicks anyone out who they think might rock the boat. Prosecutors have had a terrible time going after them or doing anything to make a dent in their activities.

When it comes to an entire American town that's blatantly disregarding the law and raping children, I think it's a pretty important thing to put a stop to. Considering that Jeffs is currently leading this sect, which has ruined lives probably numbering into the 1,000's, I'd be hard pressed to name too many people I think are worse.
Old 08-30-06, 01:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

IMO, he seems done things that mean he deserves to be arrested, tried, then jailed.

But, if he's one of the 10 worst criminals we've got then we're a *lot* better off than I realized!
Old 08-30-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that "10 most wanted" shouldn't be applied to this guy, but he and his sect are some bold lawbreakers.

for instance:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...505995,00.html
Old 08-30-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to mention the interview Dateline interview with those creepy Colorado Town residents. They said they were getting ready for the end of the world and that they were willing to go down (meaning blow up everything and fight back) should force enforcements decide to investigate into them too much.
Old 08-30-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Well, putting him on the most wanted list seems more appropriate than what Janet Reno did in Waco with a somewhat similar circumstance.
Yeah, it would make a lot more sense to put him on a list even though you know where he is, then once he's on the list, just pretend you don't know where he is.
Old 08-30-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know he is also being arrested for child rape by way of arranging marriages between older members of his church and children. If that is true, obviously he is kind of a scumbag, but is he really up there with Osama Bin Landen, terrorists and murderers?
Well here is what he was wanted for

UNLAWFUL FLIGHT TO AVOID PROSECUTION - SEXUAL CONDUCT WITH A MINOR, CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT SEXUAL CONDUCT WITH A MINOR; RAPE AS AN ACCOMPLICE

Sounds worthy to me, glad they got him.
Old 08-30-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
These sick fucks do their best to completely isolate themselves from the rest of the world. Their 'church' owns the entire town they're primarily based out of, holds all the local elected offices and kicks anyone out who they think might rock the boat.
They also oust most of the young men since they will be competing for the young girls with the old guys. These kids have no skills to live in normal society and are known as "Lost Boys". There is a video up on CNN.com about it.
Old 08-30-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X

It's 2006.
Old 08-30-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

It's 2006.
It's getting close to Election Day, the GOP is sweating because they've fucked everything imaginable up, so the Clinton card must be played at every hand.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-30-06 at 03:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.