Reload this Page >

Question for exercise gurus

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-30-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get in better shape, and worked out for the first time again last night. After running on a treadmill for 15-20 minutes, I did a few lifts(tried to go light). I was trying to take it easy since it was my first time back, but started feeling nauseous after. I got light-headed, I started sweating badly, and thought I was going to throw up. I was fine after sitting down for a little while. I am barely sore today, so I really didnít do too much. Anyone had this problem? What did you do about it?
Old 08-30-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts
Be careful about what you eat before you exercize. That may be all there is to it.
Old 08-30-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you put a little something in your stomach when you lift.

your nausea was due to low sugar in your body.
Old 08-30-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Don't lift weights after doing cardio. If you must do both, do cardio after lifting weights.

2. You were nauseous because you are unaccustomed to the lactic acid you produced. The more you exercise, your lactic acid tolerance will increase.

3. Drink water before and during exercise. Dehydration combined with glycogen depletion does not feel good.

4. Soreness is not a measure of your performance in the gym. Do not treat it as such.

In summary, keep at it, just don't do cardio before weights.
Old 08-30-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I wondered whethe the lack of food was the problem. Before working out, I'd had a nutrigrain bar and a 100 calorie pack for breakfast, and a salad and some fruit snacks for lunch. Do you think it would be enough if I just had another nutrigrain bar before working out?
Old 08-30-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SFranke
1. Don't lift weights after doing cardio. If you must do both, do cardio after lifting weights.

Are you sure about this one? I lifted weights three times a week in high school when I ran indoor and outdoor track. Oops!
Old 08-30-06, 12:19 PM

after running, your glycogen will be depleted and you don't have the strength to lift optimally
Old 08-30-06, 12:19 PM

OP, don't forget to breathe
Old 08-30-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2. You were nauseous because you are unaccustomed to the lactic acid you produced. The more you exercise, your lactic acid tolerance will increase.

3. Drink water before and during exercise. Dehydration combined with glycogen depletion does not feel good.

4. Soreness is not a measure of your performance in the gym. Do not treat it as such.

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about the lactic acid thing, but wasn't 100% positive that was something that happened. We were instructed by my 6mo old daughter's doctor to give her massages, and she was sick for the first few. I thought maybe I was having the same kind of problem.

About the cardio before lifting: I thought it was a good idea to do at least a little cardio before and after as a warmup/cooldown. Is this not a good idea?
Old 08-30-06, 12:50 PM

SFRANKE is correct. If you must do cardio the same day you do weight training, do it afterwards. Personally I try and do cardio on my days off or at least do it in the morning and then have around 6 hours of rest before I hit the weights.

A warmup is 5 to 10 minutes of easy to moderate activity not 15 to 20 minutes. I walk at 4 MPH on a treadmill for 5 minutes (try to get the heart rate up to 90 or 100 bpm) and then stretch before and after my weight session.

What kind of cardio did you do? If you were doing something that was really high impact like interval training at high speeds, its going to take a lot out of you. After I do my cardio, I feel dead and attempting to do weights afterward would probably make me pass out. What are your goals? "Getting in shape" implies many different things.
Old 08-30-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I jogged at a pretty slow pace 5.5 mph (I think). I'm kind of a scrawny guy that's gotten a gut, so I'd like to work on getting rid of that. I'd also like a little more muscle.

If anyone has had the problem with sickness when working out, did you find a way to lessen it? How long did it last?
Old 08-30-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only time I've come close to puking was just starting to get back in shape after a long layoff.
Old 08-30-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodoubt
OP, don't forget to breathe
this was my first thought.

but the other suggestions are spot on also.

OR, you might be pregnant.
Old 08-30-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll see if the nauseous feeling leaves after working about a few times.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, you know, since I don't have a vagina or anything.
Old 08-30-06, 02:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Excellent advice.

I used to get nauseous when I was starting out. My trainer thought it was probably due to not waiting long enough between sets to let the body absorb the lactic acid. Once I stopped rushing I didn't get nauseous again, and after a few months of lifting I don't have to wait as long between sets.
Old 08-30-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is incorrect. If you are doing both, you should do light cardio before weights. It can really help as a good warm up. The best thing to do after weights is to rest and refill to maximize muscle recovery.

Note: I am talking about 10-15 minutes of cardio, not 30-60, that should be done on a separate day.

Last edited by bballing; 08-30-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I usually do some light cardio for 15-20 minutes before lifting weights. Loosens me up some.
Old 08-30-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, is there anyway to get used to the lactic acid thing, or is working out just going to suck for a couple of weeks?
Old 08-30-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do a very light workout the day after.

And do stretches during and after working out.

You'll still be sore, but it'll be a less.

Just as an aside, there is some research that states lactic acid isn't the cause of muscle soreness after exercise.
Old 08-30-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shazam
Yeah, I usually do some light cardio for 15-20 minutes before lifting weights. Loosens me up some.
Please make sure you wipe off any & all sweat off the benches/mats/machines when you're done using them!
Old 08-30-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why? I just let my stinky sweat evaporate
Old 08-30-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ESUguy
So, is there anyway to get used to the lactic acid thing, or is working out just going to suck for a couple of weeks?

Do not worry, that will ease as you train consistently. It will not be a problem once you get going.
Old 08-30-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- dont exercise immediately after eating, your body requires alot of energy to digest food.
- start out light with the weights until you get your form down perfect., then every week gradually increase the weight
- gaining muscle and losing weight at the same time is very hard to do. In order to lose weight your body has to be in a calorie deficit, to gain weight you need to intake more than you expend. Focus on one at a time, i.e. bulking or cutting.
- recooperation is just as imporatant as the workout. Make sure your sleep and diet are in check for your goals.
Old 08-31-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help everyone. I think we're going back tonight. The plan is for me to go to all the nautilus machines with my wife to help her figure out how to do them.

My body was teasing me by not being sore yesterday. Today I hurt.