Reload this Page >

help me plan a trip to Atlanta...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-29-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some "must see" places to visit in Atlanta? (I'll have my wife, our 3 year old and 5 year old, plus my visiting mom-in-law and sis-in-law).

I'm planning to visit in a couple of weeks, just for the weekend.

So far, I've planned to visit the Coca-Cola Museum and the Georgia Aquarium.

Any others?

What is the best place for shopping? Largest/best mall? Any outlets?

How about restaurants? (preferably not the usual chain type stuff that is available everywhere).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's nothing to do here for tourists. Coke Museum's not bad, and the Aquarium's cool. Turner Field is beautiful, so see if the Braves are in town. Stone Mountain Park is fun for kids, but they may be too young. I dunno. It's been forever since I've been there. Maybe take a tour at the CNN Center? See if there's something going on at the Fox Theatre.

The best outlet mall is in North Georgia: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=16

As for regular malls, Phipps Plaza is in midtown and "fancy", I guess. Across the street is Lenox.

Where are you staying? Atlanta's a big place.

das
Old 08-30-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Flying Biscuit is a good bet for breakfest/lunch. There's one in Midtown near 10th and Piedmont I think.

Nuevo Laredo Cantina off Chattahoochee Ave has good mexican food (awesome salsa). There are also some true warehouse-style stores back there.

If they've never been, IKEA in Atlantic Station will entertain the women for hours. This is near the Chattahoochee Ave area mentioned above.

There's also a children's museum near the Aquarium / WoC / Underground area. Fun for the kiddies. Let them run through the open fountain in Centennial Park.

Skip Underground Atlanta, it's just an overpriced shopping mall for tourists.

If you're coming down 85, there is a large outlet mall in Commerce about 45 min north of the city (around exit 160ish). My mother loves the Pottery there (garden and decor crap).

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 08-30-06 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's some friendly advice. If you're downtown and you just happen to find yourself in a gay bar (hey, it could happen) and someone offers to help push in your stool, just say no.
Old 08-30-06, 10:32 AM
Banned

Hmmm.... the CNN tour is always fun. You could do the aquarium followed by CNN. There's also Six Flags (but you could do that anywhere), the Cyclorama, etc. In terms of Museums, there's the High Museum.

Largest Mall is the Mall of Georgia in Buford (maybe 30 minutes from downtown), the best mall is Lenox / Phipps (they're across the street from each other).
Old 08-30-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pistol Pete

Skip Underground Atlanta, it's just an overpriced shopping mall for tourists.
How they con anyone into going here is beyond me.

However, it does bridge the gap between MARTA's Five Points Station and The World of Coca-Cola, which is where the Braves shuttle picks people up now (real pain in the ass for locals btw). So, if you were interested, you could take MARTA to Five Points, walk through Underground (laugh at how stupid it is), see the World of Coca-Cola, and then hop on the Braves shuttle.

das
Old 08-30-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
How they con anyone into going here is beyond me.
Among other actions the city legislates the closing time for bars to favor Underground. Everywhere else in city closing time is 2am. Only Underground clubs are allowed to stay open until 4am.

I swear half the city council must have a $$$ interest in Underground. The city keeps pumping money and lavishing favorable treatment on the area.
Old 08-30-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was in Alpharetta in May for business, there were constantly talking about the Aquarium and how crowded it was. I guess it's the first one in the area. As a native New Englander with atleast 3 aquarium's within 2 hours of me, I wasn't sure if it was worth all the fuss was about (we didn't go) but people seemed to enjoy it.
Old 08-30-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess the Cheetah Club is out (unless you can ditch the wife and kids). Not a whole lot going on in Atlanta besides the Aquarium and baseball stadium. I've heard the Aquarium is amazing (haven't been yet). Really cool technology being used there. Mall of Georgia is fun if you don't mind the drive. Best thing about Atlanta is you can find lot's of different places to eat good food (sometimes for cheap).
Old 08-30-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Aquarium's pretty cool, and if you've never been to one, you should definitely go. However, if you've seen another good one, it's more of the same. The Beluga whales are somewhat unique (although other American aquariums have them too), and there's a lot of fun stuff for kids to do and touch, but it's still just an aquarium.

das
Old 08-30-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Varsity
Old 08-30-06, 10:55 PM

Check out www.atlantamojo.com
The forum and happenings sections should be helpful to you.