Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Home Improvement Help - Plumbing and Pictures!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-29-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I am almost finished with my basement renovation and am at the "piddly shit" stage of the build out.

Here's one of the big ones. Hopefully this makes sense after looking at the picture, but I'm going to be drywalling the ceiling right here and this spigot hangs down below the level of the ceiling, and connects to the water line for our refrigerator as well.

Two questions:

1. How can I loosen up and turn the spigot 90 degrees from where it is now to bring it up above the level of the joist? Turn all the water off and blowtorch it?

2. Can I run the water line to the fridge through a hole cut in the joists? Is that allowed?

And one bonus question - I know I still need to be able to access this after it's drywalled. What's the easiest way to make an access hole? Cut a piece of drywall out and do some kind of frame on the edge, then lift out the cut piece if I need to get to it?
Old 08-29-06, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets start with the easy 1: I know I still need to be able to access this after it's drywalled. HD/Lowes sells in the plumbing dept. an access cover. 2 sizes avail. It has spring loaded clips. you cut out any size opening and pop it in.

Now regarding this:
1. How can I loosen up and turn the spigot 90 degrees from where it is now to bring it up above the level of the joist? Turn all the water off and blowtorch it?

You will have a bitch of a time resoldering the pipe unless all water is removed from the pipe as the torch will just make steam of the left over water in the line. If you can get it dry the you can twist it to the 90 degree angle you seek.

2. Can I run the water line to the fridge through a hole cut in the joists? Is that allowed? Not positive but you can notch out the joists where the line would run or reroute it to your soffit. Last possibility is to just box it out and put an access cover on the side wall of the box
Old 08-29-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't notch the bottom of the joist. Most of the strength comes from the material at the top and bottom edges. The middle of the joist does virtually nothing. You can drill holes roughly on the vertical center for pipes, electrical cable, etc.
Old 08-29-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks, this helps.

About cutting holes in the joists, I just wasn't 100% sure you were allowed to run pipes through wood like that. I think all of my pipes in the basement are attached to the sides of the joists and don't run through it. If I can run pipe through the joists that would work.

And yeah, I was concerned about the steam factor. Maybe I can manage to twist it or cut it shorter or something.