Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Crap, do I have a warrant out for my arrest?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-28-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So about three months ago I got a jury duty summons in the mail. My county has its jurors call with a special number the night before- if you call every night for a week and your number doesn't come up, you're in the clear.

The first night I had to call, I was ordered to report Monday morning. It was bad timing, so I opted to postpone my service until the second week of August (I think- I don't remember exactly when). The friendly recording told me that a new summons would be prepared. Then I promptly forgot about it.

Well, someone at work was talking about getting a jury summons this morning, and that reminded me that I should have gotten a new one weeks ago. What do I do? Call them up? Am I going to be arrested and thrown into Rikers? Have my voting rights stripped from me?

Please note: I am not trying to get out of serving. Thanks.
Old 08-28-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get the vasoline out and limber up your poophole.
Old 08-28-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rikers?

You really shouldn't try to get out of serving, though. That's not cool.

das
Old 08-28-06, 03:11 PM

Hey, instead of trying to shirk your civic duty, go and spend a day or two as a jury member. Chances are you won't get picked anyway.
Old 08-28-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got called once and only once. I filled out my paperwork to look like a total nut job and haven't heard back from them since.
Old 08-28-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sense jury duty in your future, but with you on the other end.
Old 08-28-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I've ever been called for jury selection was the day of my finals at school. I was pissed. Needless to say I let the judge know that I was pissed about missing my final, so he let me go.

I was never able to make up the final because the instructor was an asshole. So I didn't pass the class.

That is why I try to shirk jury duty now.
Old 08-28-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So do you have to vote to get called for jury duty?
Old 08-28-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mllefoo
The only time I've ever been called for jury selection was the day of my finals at school. I was pissed. Needless to say I let the judge know that I was pissed about missing my final, so he let me go.

I was never able to make up the final because the instructor was an asshole. So I didn't pass the class.

Uhm, you should have been able to get out of that easily with the court.
Old 08-28-06, 03:39 PM

People, please don't give Tracer Bullet any more ways to avoid his DUTY AS AN AMERICAN.

This generation needs a serious attitude adjustment.
Old 08-28-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrR0boto
People, please don't give Tracer Bullet any more ways to avoid his DUTY AS AN AMERICAN.

This generation needs a serious attitude adjustment.
At least my generation has reading comprehension.
Old 08-28-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well just pray you get to go to criminal and not civil court...I would rather take a knee to the groin then go to that hell in Jamaica known as Queens County Civil Court.
Old 08-28-06, 03:47 PM

Old 08-28-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well just pray you get to go to criminal and not civil court...I would rather take a knee to the groin then go to that hell in Jamaica known as Queens County Civil Court.
I'm pretty sure it was civil court- is that the one on Sutphin Blvd?

I'm afraid to call them because I know I'm going to get bitched out for not calling when I didn't receive the summons- but the original one was from three months ago, and it just slipped my mind. Especially since they said I'd get a new one.
Old 08-28-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Id just let it go. Maybe they havne't need you since then?
Old 08-28-06, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mllefoo

Asshole or not, the professor is not really able to do this. You should have fought the decision with the school. The courts really are not concerned with some irrational professors viewpoint on a final. You should have went over his head. Not as if you were ever going to see him again anyways.
Old 08-28-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm pretty sure it was civil court- is that the one on Sutphin Blvd?

I'm afraid to call them because I know I'm going to get bitched out for not calling when I didn't receive the summons- but the original one was from three months ago, and it just slipped my mind. Especially since they said I'd get a new one.
think they have both there

call them, but they are pretty strict these days and you need a really good reason to get off. i did a week of criminal jury duty earlier this year and i'm clear for 6 years
Old 08-28-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Uhm, you should have been able to get out of that easily with the court.
Unfortunately, no. I couldn't. I called every night as I was instructed. They didn't give me the option of telling anyone I had finals till I showed up in court and told them.

Unfortunately, this happened on finals day, so it really didn't help my attitude toward performing any duty I have to the gubmint.

Frankly, they take too much of my money as it is; they don't need my time when I have things I'm committed to doing.
Old 08-28-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did you people get a form with questions like if you could read English, had civic rights suspended, have a disability, etc before getting the jury duty summons?
Old 08-28-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and mllefoo, couldn't you get exempted from jury duty because you were a student? I know people who did that.
Old 08-28-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
and mllefoo, couldn't you get exempted from jury duty because you were a student? I know people who did that.
Yeah, it's my understanding students are exempt without even having to go in.

I would have taken the summons to the head of the department your class was in, shoved it in has face and forced him to let me take the final. If that didn't work I would have kept going higher up the chain.
Old 08-28-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

10 years of pound me in the ass prison...

I had an aunt who forgot jury duty, she got sentenced to do jury duty AND spend a day sitting in court watching what goes on ALL DAY.
Old 08-28-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://attu.blogspot.com/2006/04/col...-skipping.html

I think if you have not received a summons yet I would forget about it. I think they usually get in touch with you right away (warrant, etc.). Calling might be a good idea just to make sure and they might go easier on you. Most likely August is a slow month with vacations. So far I have been called to Jury duty 3 times. The first time was to a Grand Jury that I went and filled out questionaire and was not selected. The other 2 times it was the county and both times they were in Dec-Jan and everytime I called they never picked my number. On those 2 I always had a real high number. Maybe because I'am self employed.
Old 08-28-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry Tracer Bullet, but part of being an adult is keeping up with commitments that are binding. Saying that you forgot is just irresponsible.

Old 08-29-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was suppose to go to Jury Duty today.

I didn't go because my classes started today.

I'll see what happens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.