Reload this Page >

Help with a feeding issue w/ a cat...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-28-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so this is stupid and trivial, but it means something to me, because it involves sleep.

One of my cats thoroughly enjoys waking me up at all hours of the night and morning to be fed. He'll jump on me, while I'm sleeping, and either continue to lick or bite me until I get up to feed him. This is fine and dandy, but he's sort of a hefty cat; thirty pounds to be exact.

I've tried to break him of this habit, by pushing him off the bed, yelling at him, locking him in another room. All of that does no good, because they he starts whining and crying, and that's just as bad.

I'd free-feed him, but my other cat has stomach issues and will vomit if he eats too much. He's like a goldfish.

So, what can I try to break him of this habit? I feel it might be too late, as he's now done it for the past six months or so.
Old 08-28-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What does your vet say about this cat weighing thirty pounds? He sounds overweight, unless he's a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat or something. You need to make sure he's not diabetic.

My cats climb on me too. All you can do is the same thing as you would with children: ignore them until you're ready to get up.
Old 08-28-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither of my cats was particularly annoying about meowing for food, but I got one of those automatic feeders. Now they don't associate me with food at all. It took about 2 weeks for them to finally realize they could follow me around the house and I wouldn't feed them, the machine would.
Old 08-28-06, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vibiana
My cats climb on me too. All you can do is the same thing as you would with children
Swing them around by the tail and toss them out the window?
Old 08-28-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the same problem with my cat. He'll climb on me and sit on my chest and lick my nose until I get up and feed him. Usually I just throw him as far as I can, which isn't far because he's a lard-butt. Don't give in and eventually your cat will learn...maybe...
Old 08-28-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Vibiana
What does your vet say about this cat weighing thirty pounds? He sounds overweight, unless he's a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat or something. You need to make sure he's not diabetic.

My cats climb on me too. All you can do is the same thing as you would with children: ignore them until you're ready to get up.
Surprisingly, he's not really overweight. I mean, he probably could shed a pound or two, but he's just a really, really big cat. His paws are about the size of some medium sized dogs.
Old 08-28-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pics?
Old 08-28-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by datagirl7
Neither of my cats was particularly annoying about meowing for food, but I got one of those automatic feeders. Now they don't associate me with food at all. It took about 2 weeks for them to finally realize they could follow me around the house and I wouldn't feed them, the machine would.
When we had one cat we used an auto-feeder. Fantastic for the reasons you mentioned.

Def, if you want to train him to chill, why not keep a water bottle by your bed so when he tries that bullshit you spray him. That way he's not locked up, but you're stopping him from the behavior.

It may not work (depends on the cat) but it is worth a try. Of course, aim for the rear part of the cat, avoid the face.
Old 08-28-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Already tried that, Bushy. Used that when he'd jump on tables. He'd just sit there, get sprayed in the face and body, and mock me.
Old 08-28-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, fuckers. I have a friend whose cat catches the water in his mouth and sees it as a reward.
Old 08-28-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Incidentally, not behavior that bad but our cats occasionally try that bullshit. I've disciplined myself that I never, ever feed them as soon as I wake up. I make them wait at least 20 minutes.
Old 08-28-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That cat rules .
Old 08-28-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Incidentally, not behavior that bad but our cats occasionally try that bullshit. I've disciplined myself that I never, ever feed them as soon as I wake up. I make them wait at least 20 minutes.
My cat does this as well. He has dry food out all of the time, but in the mornings he gets 1/2 of a small can of wet food, because he has urinary tract problems. Anyways, he starts whining about 5:30 each morning, but now that it's just me in the house, he will usually go back to sleep until I get up for the day and feed him. Sometimes he does what Def's cat does, and starts licking me and trying to wake me up. Ignoring him has worked the last couple of weeks, so he has gotten a bit better. He is a crack baby for that wet food though .
Old 08-28-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We do the same as Quake, but River gets her food at night instead of the morning.
Old 08-28-06, 01:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.amazon.com/Lentek-PD06G-6-Day/dp/B00006JHRE
Old 08-28-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Won't really be feasible w/ 2 cats, uless I were to get 2 of them.
Old 08-28-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones

I'd free-feed him, but my other cat has stomach issues and will vomit if he eats too much. He's like a goldfish.
I thought mine was the only cat that was like that. As for your other cat, I'd get a water bottle and spray it every time it wakes you until it stops.
Old 08-28-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it might be because they were pound cats, and were found on the street. He probably ate as much as he could to stay alive as a kitten.
Old 08-28-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're pretty far along in this thread and I'm shocked that no one has informed Deftones that he has no business owning a cat and is a terrible pet owner. The Other has let me down
Old 08-28-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
pics?
Old 08-28-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
We're pretty far along in this thread and I'm shocked that no one has informed Deftones that he has no business owning a cat and is a terrible pet owner. The Other has let me down
Only because he's a responsible cat owner who isn't selfish and/or ignorant enough to let his cat outdoors.

*throws down gauntlet*
Old 08-28-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Only because he's a responsible cat owner who isn't selfish and/or ignorant enough to let his cat outdoors.

*throws down gauntlet*
Well, technically I do let them run around my fully enclosed backyard every once in a while, but they are strictly indoor cats.
Old 08-28-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you haven't already tried these yet, maybe you can see if they work:

1) Feed your cat with a fixed schedule. I feed my cat twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. If you feed your cat right before you go to sleep, there is less chance he will get hungry and wake you up at night.

2) Play with your cat right before bedtime to tire out your cat so he'll sleep through the night.

3) Close the door to your bedroom so he can't get in to bug you.
Old 08-28-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i have a great solution-i hide under the blanket and try to ignore them as hard as i can.
Old 08-28-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
If you haven't already tried these yet, maybe you can see if they work:

1) Feed your cat with a fixed schedule. I feed my cat twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. If you feed your cat right before you go to sleep, there is less chance he will get hungry and wake you up at night.

2) Play with your cat right before bedtime to tire out your cat so he'll sleep through the night.

3) Close the door to your bedroom so he can't get in to bug you.
1) I do that as much as possible, but unfortunately my work schedule fluctuates. The morning feeding isn't as much of a problem as the evening one is. I could feed him at midnight or later, and he'll still often wake me up at 6am.

2) that's a good suggestion, I'll try that.

3) Hearing him try to get in the room, the loud crying and scratching of the door is almost worse than the intitial annoyance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.