Reload this Page >

Health/Fitness club recommendations?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-27-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went into a 24Hour Fitness as a guest today and thought a deal they had sounded intriguing (check the thread let me know if it isn't a deal). And wanted to know if anyone has opinions on this or other fit clubs.
Old 08-27-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was with 24Hr Fitness for the better part of a year. I found a sweet deal on FW awhile back. You had to join through an affiliate (I did US Track & Field, which was a nice bonus since I got some good marathon training info). It was $25/mon, no start-up fee, month to month. It was like $15-$20 to join US Track & Field for a year, which you had to do to get the special rate. That included everything at the gym, not just the weights.

The only reason I left was my university open up a HUGE rec center, that was free.

-p
Old 08-27-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Typically you can get a membership for around $30 per month with just a little down ($75 or so). So you are talking around $400 per year for the three years.

Your deal, you are paying up front, then banking on renewing after that. Renew a couple of times for $50 and you have a smoking deal. And I have a friend who joined a Golds Gym like 10 years ago on a deal like you are looking at, and he keeps renewing for very little money. Working out great for him!

The problem is that many of these clubs are "change". What I mean is that they may off "all club" membership now, but next year they may open a "premium" club. And really no different, just you have to buy a different membership to go. That seems to be the game many are playing name. Every couple of years they open a "new" club level, that in reality is just a chance to have you pay more to go to that club.

I joined once at a club. Two years later they announced they were building a new one just a few blocks away from the one I joined. But alas, it was a new "premium" club (had a pool that I would never use). And they closed the original club I joined. To go to the new club I had to pay a one time fee of $150 or additional $10 per month. Or I could close my membership at no penalty. I closed the membership (in fairness, I was about to move anyway).
Old 08-27-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

best deal is to do it on your own for free

only reason i would join a health club is if i wanted to lift weights and not buy the equipment.
Old 08-28-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, for me, a gym is a necessity just because I live in a small NYC apartment...If I had more space or my own house, I would definitely create my own space.
Old 08-28-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a 24 hour fitness for about a year. i stopped going and stopped my membership. now years later my wife and i joined a local club (local chain of clubs) thats much better. Bigger pool, racquet ball courts, free child care, etc. I end up playing racquet ball with a friend once or twice a week and sometime take a cycling class with my wife. i like it much better than 24 hour fitness. also at the new place they sell beer.
Old 08-28-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

don't forget the personal training...

let's say its $15 per session... thats $75 right there....

find out more about "all club access," i see you live in fremont, ask them if it includes Ultra-sport down in Irvine. (just in case you go come down here for some reason)

if it's super-sport access, it's a decent deal.
Old 08-28-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like my 24-hour fitness membership for the following reasons:

1- rather cheap monthly fee (for me at least)
2- no room to have my own weights
3- (used to) travel a lot for work, and there was usually a 24hour close by.
4- a lot of my friends, or have made lots of friends that work out at the gyms close to my place. Enough to the point where I prefer going to the gym by myself vs. trying to find a work out partner to go with.

Currently, I am all over the bay area on a daily basis, and I go to about 8 different 24-hours, including 2 of the 3 fremont gyms (which are 2 of the worst imo). The one near newpark is decent, and they people that work out there know what they are doing if you need a spot, and are more serious about their workouts. The one on Walnut sucks, but is a good location. The new one in Milpitas has all new equipment and is very clean, but the people that work out there are can get wannabes that can get irritating.

Last edited by grrrah; 08-28-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am a runner 1st and with winter coming it is going to get to the point where I can't run without a raincoat. Room isn't too much of an issue, dependant on what I want, though if I were to make the space I have into a workout area, it would squash my movie theater.

I live within 4 or 5 blocks of the active gym on Fremont blvd. I can't say that it is anything worth talking about, but it isn't so sad (while I was running a nice looking woman decided right in front of me was the best place for her to do her thing).

The all club membership does include all current classes of clubs, including the one in Irvine and the SuperSport in San Ramon.
Old 08-29-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

around February they start having deals on treadmills. Earlier this year wife and I bought a $2200 treadmill for $1200. Wife runs on it couple a times a week. It's a very good treadmill and the brand is used by gyms because of it's durability. It's probably cheaper to put this thing into your house or apartment since you will be saving money after 13 months or so.