Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

how long did it take you to adjust to a new environment?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-26-06, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for people with such an experience, how long did it take you to adjust to a new environment?

by new environment, i mean: moving to city after living in the country your whole life or vice versa, moving to a foreign country, boot camp, prison, etc.

what was your experience like?
Old 08-26-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Many years ago I moved from a rural town of ~5000 to deep in the heart of downtown Chicago. The first night, every little noise I heard woke me up and made me think that someone was trying to get me. Two or three days later, I was sleeping through the night with no problems. So I guess I acclimate pretty well.
Old 08-26-06, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have this weird thing where I can't poop when I'm in a new place. I need at least 4 days to adjust before I can do anything. This makes traveling a bitch (especially if I eat a lot). Hopefully you can poop just fine.
Old 08-26-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm actually in the same boat as Numanoid. I went from small town Wisconsin to Chicago a few years back. Granted, I was thrown straight into a college dorm, so I was surrounded by people - which really helped. I didn't have much trouble adjusting at all. It was about a week before I felt "at home". Truth be told, at that point in my life, I needed that experience more than just about anything else in the world. Not that my home life was bad previously, quite the contrary. The city just offered more to satisfy my interests, and it certainly helped me break out of my shell.

Now, I just want to be near the mountains. Instead I'm stranded in the flattest state in the country!
Old 08-26-06, 03:31 AM

I moved around a lot as a kid; I always the new kid and I was having to get used to the "new" way of life. After awhile it became a cakewalk. Small town, inner city, there's a common link between every place in america. I concentrate on the sameness of it all; made adjusting easy. I went on a extended vaca in Paris last summer, my 1st time abroad and it was a bit of a culture shock but after about 4 days I had no qualms. Hell, other tourists thought I was native and would ask me for directions.
Old 08-26-06, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I moved from a town of 2000 to Los Angeles. Culture shock, here we come. I adjusted quickly, but that may have been because I indulged in the more psychotropic aspects of the city.

I have no problem with travelling around, now.
Old 08-26-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Three weeks, and I have my new routines down pat. I can spend years exploring a place, of course, but I adapt to changes quickly.

I don't LIKE changes, though.
Old 08-26-06, 03:20 PM

it took me a year, or couple of months at least. I moved form a 1 mil city in russia to chiacago. So I had to learn everything, and I was 11. Aftera while, I loved it, as I do now, but that was 10 years ago this december.
Old 08-26-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I moved from a suburban/rural area to NYC several years ago. Took me about a month to adjust, get comfortable and change over how I lived life.

Then I moved from NYC back to the burbs and that took about a week to get used to.
Old 08-26-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both my wife and I were born and raised in Fl...It took us about 6 months to fully adjust to living in NYC. Im not sure we will ever be "fully comfortable" here just because we are just so used to a certain way, but we definitely our adjusted to our life here and have become pretty content. At the beginning, I wasnt so sure.
Old 08-26-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I moved from Illinois to Kentucky it took me a few months to get used to the environment and learn the language.

After I got used to it here... I never knew what I was missing out on, I do love it here.

Of course I DID grow up here, I just came back after many years of being gone.
Old 08-26-06, 09:12 PM

4.5 years and I still can't get used to the effing heat that never seems to let up here in GA. Winters are laughable. Next to the weather change, it continues to be difficult to adjust to driving everywhere and not relying on the subway and bus system.

However, moving from NYC to the 'burbs has been relatively easy to transition to. It was especially nice moving from my apartment that was smaller than our garage to a 3 bedroom house. No problems with getting comfortable with this lifestyle.
Old 08-26-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, FL and moved north in 1992. 14 years later, I still have problems with temperatures below 30°F.
Old 08-27-06, 12:06 AM

I've never lived in a town before till about 3 weeks ago. I've always lived in rural areas with lots of privacy and not many people around. When I moved into this place, an apartment, it took a few days to get a decent night's sleep. Now that I'm all moved in and pretty much settled I kinda like it. For once I can have a decent internet connection and I'm close to everything.
Old 08-27-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by printerati
I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, FL and moved north in 1992. 14 years later, I still have problems with temperatures below 30F.
under 30F? Where do you live?!
Old 08-27-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I moved from a small Rural town to Fairfax Va a few years ago. The biggest thing I had to get used to was driving like a bat out of hell everywhere. Once I moved from there I fit right in at VA Beach. But coming home was a bitch. I was a demon on our little roads for about two months. Now it's Sunday driving everywhere.
Old 08-27-06, 01:45 PM

I moved from the Baltimore-Washington area to Texas almost two years ago...does that qualify as moving to a foreign country?

I've somewhat adjusted to life here, but I know that I don't want to be forever.