Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying property elsewhere... (i.e. out of the country)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that my mom has passed away, I plan to escape winter and go live someplace sunny and warm 6 months per year. Since I work from home, it doesn't really matter where I'm at, and all I need is high speed internet. Haven't really picked a spot yet, but could be somewhere like Costa Rica, Honduras, or the Carribeans. Before the going for a visit stage and seeing for myself, how does one go about doing legwork and finding out what's involved in tackling such an endeavor? Anyone has experience or know somneone that has purchased property abroad? Any ideas? Tips? Pros? Cons?
Old 08-24-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Costa Rica and the Carribean they love to find people who want to buy property, RE agents down there can usually school you pretty well on the subject. No other advice, sorry.
Old 08-24-06, 09:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cuba.

I recall a Canadian former member who thought it was paradise. I don't know if they actually let you buy anything though. Well, maybe they let you buy it but I'm not sure you end up owning it.
Old 08-24-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bushdog
In Costa Rica and the Carribean they love to find people who want to buy property, RE agents down there can usually school you pretty well on the subject. No other advice, sorry.
They will "school" you alright. Some places, like Costa Rica in particular, have very lenient squatting laws. Which means, an agent there wil get you a great deal on a nice piece of property, and when you're *not* there, squatters will move in, and you can't take back your property under local laws. So you're screwed, and then the squatters give the property back to their friend, the agent, to sell all over again. Or else you can pay locals for "protection" against squatters, at which point they have you over a barrel and you'll wish you never heard of the island.

In other words, be very, very careful.
Old 08-24-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
France, after all that's where you're really from
Old 08-24-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

by something in Florida like the rest of the snowbirds
Old 08-24-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe kvrdave can find me something in a trailer park.
Old 08-24-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are plenty of places in costa rica where you don't have to worry about squatters. When I was there, I stayed at a really nice place in Jaco where you could buy a condo that the management would rent out for you when you weren't there. It was right on the beach - very nice. I'd recommend a place like that rather than a place out in the jungle.
Old 08-25-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Maybe kvrdave can find me something in a trailer park.

I've looked a fair amount as well. Looks like the best way to go anywhere is with a condo so that you do have some property management going on. Big companies like Century21 also have offices in places like Costa Rica and can help you.

After looking around, I am probably back to the idea of Hawaii, personally.
Old 08-25-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
After looking around, I am probably back to the idea of Hawaii, personally.
It must be nice.
Old 08-25-06, 12:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Also keep in mind, a new gov't can overthrow the old one, change the laws completely and you can get fucked. I'm sure anyone who owned a place in Venezuela isn't too happy...
Old 08-25-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oddly enough I've been the Century21 website for the Dominican Republic for about an hour. Pretty darn nice villas for about $250,000.

http://www.juanperdomo.com/eng/res10.htm

Found a lot of new projects under construction too like this one for example which offers the "community type" advantages and services including property management:

http://www.hispaniolarealestate.com/...esidencial.asp

What I like about the Dominican Republic is that it isn't a tiny island you can drive around in 20 min and where there's not much to do. It's about the size of Connecticut, has a nice mixture of beaches/mountains, has decent size cities, low tax rates, and real estate is still affordable.

Anyway, I'm just getting started looking at this stuff so I must not get too excited.
Old 08-25-06, 08:04 AM

This page was recomended by msn a few months back.

http://www.internationalliving.com/

Looks kind of interesting.
Old 08-25-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by drmoze
They will "school" you alright. Some places, like Costa Rica in particular, have very lenient squatting laws... Or else you can pay locals for "protection" against squatters, at which point they have you over a barrel and you'll wish you never heard of the island.

Costa Rica's not an island.