Reload this Page >

Need Advice On Backpacking Across Netherlands

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, looking for some help picking out a back pack. I'm going to Amsterdam and traveling around the netherlands for 2 weeks and need a good durable backpack. Problem is I have no idear what's a good brand or not. Also I'm not looking to spend more than 100 bucks cuz the ones' i've seen are 300 dollars plus. Obviously I want maximum amount of room for best bang for my dollar. I saw that there are 2 main types of packs, internal and external. I was leaning toward the internal b/c it's a little cheaper but then I read that externals are ideal for week long trips or longer. Could i get by with a regular big ass back pack with lots of compartments or do i need to splurge on a "backpacking" back pack specfically? I figure someone on here has the knowledge on this kind of stuff. Thanks
Old 08-24-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Stick to the road. Beware the moors.
Old 08-24-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2 weeks! You'll have crossed the whole country 5 times by then.
Old 08-24-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man I wish I could go to Amsterdam.
Old 08-24-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't fall in the cracks...Oh wait you said Netherlands not Nether regions...

try:
www.rei.com

I prefer internal packs myself, I think they easier to handle and more comfortable. But to each his own. I would also suggest perhaps finding a local REI store and trying the packs on in person. Something you like online might be totally different once you put it on.
Old 08-24-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now when you say backpacking across the Netherlands, do you mean you are going to spend the entire time hiking in the wilderness, setting up a tent, etc, or do you mean you are going to be living out of your backpack while staying in hostels, cheap hotels, etc?

If you're going to be in the wilderness, I think that internal frames are more comfortable and easier if you're flying with the bag. The main thing if you're going to be hiking with it for a while you will want to check the fit and make sure it is comfortable. I'd take it on an overnight hike with your full load to make sure your pack, boots, etc are comfortable. If you're hiking you'll want the support from a properly adjusted padded hip belt, frame system, etc.

If you're just traveling through cities, you can use a regular bigass backpack, but I'd reccomend a travel pack. These usually have zip panel that covers up the backpack straps, hipbelt, etc so it can look like a shoulder bag in places you don't want to look like a student or hiker.

Whichever way you go, make sure you test the pack out with your full gear load and make sure you can confortably carry it. Pack light.
Old 08-24-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, also, www.sierratradingpost.com is a great place to find last seasons stuff at a big discount.
Old 08-24-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

save your money for hookers and drugs

backpack...
Old 08-25-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think you will find many answers about backpacks and backpacking at DVDTalk. I would suggest going to www.lonelyplanet.com and check out their forums for some help.
Old 08-25-06, 12:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 4KRG
save your money for hookers and drugs

backpack...

At least the drugs part.
Old 08-25-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Amator
Now when you say backpacking across the Netherlands, do you mean you are going to spend the entire time hiking in the wilderness, setting up a tent, etc, or do you mean you are going to be living out of your backpack while staying in hostels, cheap hotels, etc?

If you're going to be in the wilderness, I think that internal frames are more comfortable and easier if you're flying with the bag. The main thing if you're going to be hiking with it for a while you will want to check the fit and make sure it is comfortable. I'd take it on an overnight hike with your full load to make sure your pack, boots, etc are comfortable. If you're hiking you'll want the support from a properly adjusted padded hip belt, frame system, etc.

If you're just traveling through cities, you can use a regular bigass backpack, but I'd reccomend a travel pack. These usually have zip panel that covers up the backpack straps, hipbelt, etc so it can look like a shoulder bag in places you don't want to look like a student or hiker.

Whichever way you go, make sure you test the pack out with your full gear load and make sure you can confortably carry it. Pack light.
I'm guessing mostly hostels but all my possessions will be in this one bag. Basically whatever I bring with me, I'm expecting to throw away before coming back so it's not going to be relaly nice clothes cuz I'm sure I'll be wearing a few shirts more than once.
Old 08-25-06, 05:38 AM

I'd go with an internal. You'll have a much easier time squeezing it into tight compartments when you need to. $100 isn't a whole lot to work with though. Do you have an REI nearby? REI offers really great packs for a decent price. I did 5 weeks in Europe with this (REI Mars) pack. I got it a bit cheaper, but it was a top notch pack. One thing to consider, and one thing that most REI packs have, is a front loading design, meaning when you lay the pack on the ground, you can unzip the front panel wide open to have access to everything in your bag. A lot of packs make you dig through the top to get to the stuff on the bottom. You're constantly digging and repacking.

The one I went with was a mid size bag, so I didn't feel like a wanker walking around with a HUGE pack on my pack, but it was large enough to hold a lot of stuff.
Old 08-25-06, 05:44 AM

Actually, the REI Saturn, right below the Mars is juat a tad smaller, but more in your price range and appears to be almost exactly the same. That'd be plenty of room for 2 weeks.
Old 08-25-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a good bag for your budget.
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=139

The website that is on is the site for Rick Steves who has a book series and hosts a PBS travel program called Europe through the Back Door. He specilizes in living out of one bag for several months and staying at hostels. Definately worth the time to explore the site and/or check out the book. The books are at Barnes & Noble if you want to browse.

Here are a couple of tips:

Take little clothing and do laundry in our sink before you go to bed. If it's not cotton it'll be dry by the time you wake up. Have 2 pairs of pants, 2 long sleeve shirts, and a few tshirts, socks, and underwear. If everyone goes together you can do 5-6 different combos. See here for ideas(just for the concept not the fashion) http://www.tilley.com/thumbnail.asp?...tegoryId&id=52

Get a moneybelt like this: http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/cookie...esc=money+belt
Keep everything but money for the day here. Have a cheap wallet in your pants with your spending money for the day if you get pickpocketed. If you need to switch from the vault to the wallet, do it in a bathroom stall.

Here is a really great article on packing light: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlight.htm

An excerpt:

One Bag, That's It

Limit yourself to 20 pounds in a carry-on size bag. A 9" x 22" x 14" bag is my self-imposed limit. At ETBD we've taken thousands of people of all ages and styles on tours through Europe. We allow only one carry-on bag. For many, this is a radical concept. "9 x 22 x 14 inches? That's my cosmetics kit!" But they manage and they're glad they did. And after you enjoy that sweet mobility and freedom, you'll never go any other way. Whether you bring a bag you can carry on your back or one with wheels is up to you but you'll still want to pack light (you'll find my favorite examples of these bags in my online Travel Store).

You'll walk with your luggage more than you think you will. Before leaving home, give yourself a test. Pack up completely, go into your hometown, and practice being a tourist for an hour. Fully loaded, you should enjoy window shopping. If you can't, stagger home and thin things out.

When you carry your own luggage, it's less likely to get lost, broken, or stolen. A small bag fits on your lap or under your seat on the bus, taxi, and airplane. You don't have to worry about it, and you save time, too. When I land in London, I'm on my way downtown while everyone else stares anxiously at the luggage carousel. When I fly home, I'm the first guy that dog sniffs.

Too much luggage marks you as a typical tourist. It slams the back door shut. Serendipity suffers. Changing locations becomes a major operation. Con artists figure you're helpless. Porters are a problem only to those who need them. With one bag hanging on your back, you're mobile and in control. Take this advice seriously.
Old 08-25-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If somebody gets the idea you should hop a train and venture to some nondescript Eastern European country and stay at a hostel so you can get laid a lot. Might be a good idea!

To NOT do it!
Old 08-25-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-26-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Amator
Here's a good bag for your budget.
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=139
Here is a really great article on packing light: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlight.htm

An excerpt:

wow great info thanks....now here's one more question. I'm trying to figure out what size bag would be considered large enough. Should I go for at least 2000 cubic centimeters or do I need larger? I found http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...pack-ND35.html this one that seems like a hella good deal. Thanks
Old 08-26-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And remember if you go to any sex clubs in Amsterdam the safe word is Fluggengegeholen. Don't forget!
Old 08-26-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Actually, the REI Saturn, right below the Mars is juat a tad smaller, but more in your price range and appears to be almost exactly the same. That'd be plenty of room for 2 weeks.

It is also on sale through Labor Day at REI.
Old 08-27-06, 07:37 PM

www.steepandcheap.com
Old 08-29-06, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by phatboy
wow great info thanks....now here's one more question. I'm trying to figure out what size bag would be considered large enough. Should I go for at least 2000 cubic centimeters or do I need larger? I found http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...pack-ND35.html this one that seems like a hella good deal. Thanks
Sorry I couldn't get back to you for a few days. The first thing I would do is go to a shop that has a lot of backpacks, be it a luggage store, sporting goods, or camping store.

Try on a 2000ci pack, a 3000ci pack, etc. If it's a good shop, they should have some weights they can stuff the pack with to simulate how it will sit on your frame with that much weight. Find out what is comfortable for you and then bargain shop for that size pack.

I think that 2000ci is fine if you pack light, but if you can find a 2000ci that can expand up to a 3000ci or so that would be best as it will be forgiving if you bring a few too many items and when you learn to pack light it will zip away the unused space.

To quote Rick, "You can't travel heavy, happy, and cheap; pick two."
Old 08-29-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would NOT buy one online. The last thing you want to do is spend a couple hundred bucks on a pack you hate and doesn't fit you right. If you've never had a rack-pack before, you will not have a good idea how to work all the bells and whistles and adjust it properly. The best way to have a comfortable pack is to try on multiple ones and have them fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. I second what a lot of people have said - go to REI and have them fit you. Tell them your budget and they will work with you. And they are having a big labor day sale. Another thing you can do is buy several at once from reioutlet.com, ship them to the REI store (for free), have the sales people fit you to all of them, and then just return the ones you don't like. They have bean bag things they put in the packs to weigh them down and adjust all the straps so it fits like a glove.
Old 08-29-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You might be called upon to stick your finger in a dyke.