Reload this Page >

Girl missing for 8 years is found

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many more of these people are they going to find after many years of being locked up.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14497151/?GT1=8404

Police may have ID'd girl missing for 8 years
Austrian officials 'quite sure it's her'; alleged abductor committed suicide

Updated: 11:51 a.m. MT Aug 24, 2006
VIENNA, Austria - An 18-year-old woman who was kidnapped eight years ago and held captive in a cellar managed to escape, and her alleged abductor committed suicide by jumping in front of a train, authorities said Thursday.

Natascha Kampusch was found in a yard in a residential area northeast of Vienna on Wednesday afternoon. She was identified by a scar on one of her arms from a childhood operation, authorities said, ending one of Austria’s biggest police mysteries. She had disappeared while walking to school as a 10-year-old.

The alleged kidnapper has been identified by Austrian media as 44-year-old Wolfgang Priklopil. A DNA analysis was under way to confirm his identity, Austrian television reported.

Armin Halm, spokesman for Austrian’s federal police, said the woman told investigators her name was Natascha Kampusch and said she was kidnapped and kept for years in a cellar under a garage in a house in Strasshof, just outside Vienna, police said.

Besides the telltale scar, she also was identified by her father, mother and half sister. Results of a DNA test were expected later Thursday, Austrian television reported.

“We are quite sure it’s her,” Halm said.

Kept to himself
Erich Zwettler, of Austria’s federal police, said neighbors told officers the alleged kidnapper was not very sociable and kept to himself, state broadcaster ORF reported on its Web site.

ORF reported that an 80-year-old man found the woman, whom he described as very thin and pale. The man, who was not identified, said the woman was running and screaming and in a state of panic.

Kampusch vanished in Vienna on her way to school on March 2, 1998, triggering a massive search that extended into neighboring Hungary.

Zwettler was quoted by the Austria Press Agency as saying the woman appeared to have a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome, a survival mechanism in which a hostage begins to empathize with a captor.

Investigators said the woman had been examined by a doctor and that she did not have signs of injuries. But police are investigating whether she was beaten or sexually abused.

Nikolaus Koch, a lead investigator, said on Austrian television that the police had contact with the alleged kidnapper about three months after the girl disappeared but that he had a “sturdy alibi” at the time.

Halm said the woman spent the night in “a secure location” in the presence of a female police officer with specialized psychological training. She was due to undergo more questioning throughout the day, he said.

Kampusch’s sister said in remarks broadcast on Austrian television that her mother almost had a nervous breakdown when police notified her Wednesday, adding that she always held onto the hope that her daughter would come back one day.

“She always said she was still alive,” said the sister, who was identified as Sabina Sirny.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 08-24-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw that on cnn.com, that is really messed up.
Old 08-24-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The article doesn't say it, but the video said that her eyes had trouble in the sunlight and she needed to be adjusted to light overtime since she was kept in the dark most of the time.
Old 08-24-06, 06:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't it be easier for her to identify her parents rather than the other way around?
Old 08-24-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the parents' identities aren't in question.
Old 08-24-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

picture of her anywhere?
Old 08-24-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this is amazing.
Old 08-24-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

John Mark Karr has already claimed responsibility.
Old 08-24-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dork
That's some funny shit.
Old 08-24-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
DOH!!
Old 08-24-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn.. that's sad.
This girl will most likely be severely fucked up in the head for the wrest of her life.
Old 08-24-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Oraphus
damn.. that's sad.
This girl will most likely be severely fucked up in the head for the wrest of her life.
She won't be able to spell worth shit.
Old 08-24-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The girl told authorities that she spent much of her 10 year confinement working on a scale model of the solar system. No one wants to tell her about Pluto.
Old 08-24-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Al Qaeda: "Damn you, John Karr! Damn YOU! That was OUR comeback for this weekend!"
Old 08-24-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movielib
She won't be able to spell worth shit.
Then she'll be just fine on MySpace.com
Old 08-25-06, 05:10 PM

Hey now, I beat you to this joke by several days:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474899
Old 08-25-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hey now, I beat you to this joke by several days:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474899

Since I have you on Ignore, I didn't know that.
Old 08-25-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Pixy's first name is Wolfgang?
Old 08-27-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
She is apparently sufferring from Stockholm Syndrome as she is reported to have wept inconsolably when told the man she had to call "master" was dead. This is really F'd up. Hope someday she writes a book about her captivity.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-27-06 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that's all we need is another goddamn book about a fucked-up person's life.
Old 08-29-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now she's pregnant?!?
Source
Sex slave 'pregnant by kidnapper'
Last updated at 11:34am on 29th August 2006

The girl held for eight years as a sex slave in a tiny cellar in Vienna, is pregnant by her captor, it was claimed today.

Natascha Kampusch, now 18, escaped the clutches of pervert Wolfgang Priklopil last Wednesday, but now according to German newspaper reports, it is feared she is carrying his child.

The Berliner Zeitung paper said it had been told by a reliable source that that she was expecting a baby by Priklopil.

But a police spokesman from the Austrian National Criminal Agency refused to confirm or deny the story.

The reports of her pregnancy follows a statement, released by Natascha in which she said she mourned the death of Priklopil, who threw himself under a train after she escaped.

She said: "He has been a big part of my life, and as a result I do feel I am in a sort of mourning for him."

The statement, read out by one of the team of psychologists and psychiatrists who are treating Natascha, seemed to confirm that she is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome - the condition in which kidnap or hostage victims empathise with their captors and often end up working alongside them.

Locked underground or doing housework year after year for Priklopil, Natascha, who is said to be pale and to weigh less than she did as a 10-year-old, says she does not feel she missed out on life.

In some ways she even benefitted from her captivity, she suggests, because she was not tempted to smoke or drink, or mix with the wrong friends.

Natascha, who police sources have said was treated as a sex slave, also makes it clear that she will not discuss any intimate details of her long relationship with the 44-year-old telephone technician - not even with her doctors.

She said: "Everyone wants to ask me intimate questions, but that's nobody's business.

"Maybe I'll tell a therapist one day or someone else when I feel the need to. Or maybe never. The intimacy only belongs to me."

Police also revealed that one thing that kept Natascha's spirits up during her long captivity were comedy videos of Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean.

They found stacks of them in her tiny prison, and Natascha says one of the first things she wants is to go on holiday in Britain with her half-sister.

Police are still combing Priklopil's house in a Vienna suburb, looking for any other hidden chambers. They said Natascha's cramped dungeon was taking a long time to search because it was so small.

Natascha finally solved one of Austria's greatest crime mysteries when she escaped from the house last Wednesday. Priklopil was guarding her as she vacuumed his car, but she saw the opportunity to run when he turned his back and walked away from her to talk on his cellphone.

She said: 'That was my chance, I dropped the vacuum cleaner and left it running.'

Police were called when she was found cowering in a neighbour's garden.

In the statement, read by forensic psychiatrist Max Friedrich, Natascha denied ever calling Priklopil her master, even though she said the unmarried loner wanted her to. She said she thought he was not really serious about it.

The statement said: 'He was not my master. I was just as strong as him.'

She also revealed that while he sometimes treated her very well, there were other times when he did not.

Confusingly she said: 'He would, symbolically speaking, sometimes be my support and sometimes be the person who kicked me. But with me he had picked the wrong person, and we both knew that.'

It was unclear if she meant he had literally kicked her.

Natascha says she and Priklopil furnished the windowless cell she refers to as 'my room' together.

The tiny, cramped room contained a toilet, washbasin, radio and TV. It was cluttered with books and clothes and there was barely room for her to stand beneath the bed built up on a platform.

Natascha is highly protective of her room. Apparently referring to photos of it released by police, she says: 'My room was equipped with everything I would need and I made it my home, and it was not meant to be shown to the public.'

During her captivity, Natascha was helped with reading, writing and arithmetic. But she is physically weak because she survived mostly on tinned and frozen foods and very little fruit or vegetables.

Pictures of her being helped under a blanket from a police station to the hospital where she is now being cared for show skinny white legs covered with red and purple blotches.

Detectives have been trying to determine whether the kidnapper had an accomplice. When Natascha was snatched, a 12-year-old girl said she saw two men drag her into a white van.

But Natascha said: 'He carried out the kidnapping by himself. Everything was already prepared.'

Life as a kidnap victim was humdrum. She says: 'My daily life: This was carefully regulated, mostly it started with a joint breakfast - he was anyway not working most of the time. There was housework, reading, television, talking, cooking. That's all there was, year in and year out, and always tied in with the fear of being lonely.'

Dr Friedrich said Natascha has been seriously traumatised and will take a long time to recover. Her medical team will be treating her for at least a year.

As an 18-year-old she is free to make her own decisions, but she is being helped by social workers at a secure location. But Natascha said she feels 'a little bit too much controlled.'

Natascha also says she sympathises with Priklopil's mother.

She said: "I feel sympathy for Wolfgang's mother. I can put myself in her position and I feel with her and understand. We are both thinking of him.'

But she made clear that it has been her decision not to see either of her own parents, and to only speak to them on the phone.

Police believe she may have been running away from home at the time of the kidnapping because her mother and father were having a row. Their marriage ended in bitter divorce, each blaming the other for her disappearance.

The name Stockholm Syndrome comes from a four-day bank siege in 1973 when Swedish bank staff ended up defending their captors.

Austrian police spokesman Erich Zwettler said: 'Natascha's medical team have confirmed she is suffering from a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.'

Child psychiatrist Dr Ernst Berger, a member of the team treating Natascha, said: 'After so long with her kidnapper she is showing strong indications of Stockholm Syndrome. Physically she is also very weak because of her poor a diet.'

Dr Reinhard Haller, another psychiatrist on the team, said: 'Natascha seems to have a strong personality and that will help her, but it will be a long time before she ever fully trusts anyone again. Scars will remain, but hopefully no open wounds. Whatever happens it will be a long process.'

One of his colleagues said: 'Natascha left the world we know as a child and has returned to it as a traumatised young woman. It will take a long time to get over that.'
Old 09-06-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694935/?GT1=8506

Kidnapped Austrian 'thought only of escape'
Two weeks after dramatic escape, Kampusch to appear in TV interview
The Associated Press

Updated: 8:59 a.m. MT Sept 6, 2006
VIENNA, Austria - The young Austrian woman imprisoned for 8 1/2 years in an underground cell "thought only of escape" during her entire ordeal, she told a magazine in an interview published Wednesday.

Natascha Kampusch, who bolted to freedom on Aug. 23 while her captor busied himself with a cell phone call, told the Austrian weekly magazine News she repeatedly asked herself: "Why, of all the many millions of people, did this have to happen to me?"

The interview hit the newsstands a few hours before a TV interview with Kampusch, now 18, was to be aired nationwide.

"I thought only of escape," she told the magazine two weeks after she won her freedom by taking advantage of kidnapper Wolfgang Priklopil's distracting call to run to neighbors, who called police.

Priklopil, 44, killed himself within hours of her escape by jumping in front of a commuter train.

"I always had the thought: Surely I didn't come into the world so I could be locked up and my life completely ruined," Kampusch was quoted as saying. "I always felt like a poor chicken in a hen house. You saw on TV how small my cell was, it was a place to despair."

Not enough to eat
News printed a large color photograph of a pensive-looking Kampusch on its cover, showing her with a pink kerchief covering part of her blonde hair.

The magazine said it interviewed Kampusch at Vienna's General Hospital, where a cardiologist examined her for possible heart trouble. She said she had suffered throughout her captivity from heart palpitations that at times made her dizzy and rendered her memory of some events "fuzzy."

Kampusch also said she often did not get enough to eat. Another Austrian magazine, Profil, had reported that at the time of her escape she weighed just 92 pounds, exactly her weight when she was snatched off a street while walking to school as a freckle-faced 10-year-old.

Kampusch told News she has made a smooth transition to freedom "and now have no trouble living together with other people."

On Wednesday evening, a 20-minute prerecorded interview with Kampusch was to air nationwide on public broadcaster ORF, which said her face would be visible unless she asks for a last-minute electronic retouching. Previously, the station had suggested she would appear behind a screen or with her face otherwise altered so she would not be recognizable on the street.

"People will see her," said Christoph Feurstein, the journalist who interviewed her Tuesday at an undisclosed location.

Feurstein said Kampusch spoke "from the gut" in the TV interview and wore a headscarf, which he described as more of a fashion accessory than an attempt at a disguise.

Kampusch's eloquent statement
Among the more touching moments in the interview, according to Feurstein: Kampusch describing the stillness of the cell when she was first thrust inside, and her account of how she once struggled in vain to make eye contact with people when her captor took her shopping.

Kampusch also granted an interview to the mass-circulation Kronen Zeitung daily, which like News planned to publish its account on Wednesday afternoon, promising more details in daily installments over the next few days.

Although Wednesday's interview was the first time she has shown herself since her escape, it was not the first time she has been heard from.

Last week, Kampusch issued an eloquent handwritten statement that gave details of her captivity, spent for the most part in the tiny, windowless cell Priklopil built for her in the dingy basement of his home in the Vienna suburb of Strasshof. That statement contained some surprises: Kampusch said she did not feel she missed out on much during her years as a prisoner, and she said she "mourned in a certain way" for Priklopil.

ORF said Kampusch had decided which questions to answer and had refused to be asked anything intimate. Police have said she may have had sexual contact with her captor, but have refused to elaborate.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.