Reload this Page >

Sorry, marketing jerks, I won't go online and enter the code to see my prize

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one getting really tired of all the promotions where you pull back the tab and it has a code like JXG38N, and a message urging you to go online to see if you won a prize? Does anyone actually do this?

Sorry, jerks, I'm not really interested in creating a username and password with e-mail confirmation in order to win a free music download or whatever. Are you fucking kidding me?
Old 08-24-06, 03:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

THANK YOU!!! I always feel like complaining aboutt his whenever I see it. WTF are they thinking? I mean fuck, at least tell me I won before I go to the site.

The only one that was worth it is the 360 promotion from last year with Mountain Dew, lots of winners.
Old 08-24-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Diet coke has this now, and I refuse. I probably have enough points to buy the jet, but it just isn't worth it.
Old 08-24-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Am I the only one getting really tired of all the promotions where you pull back the tab and it has a code like JXG38N, and a message urging you to go online to see if you won a prize? Does anyone actually do this?
agreed.
Old 08-24-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marketing is the root of all evil.
Old 08-24-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Diet coke has this now, and I refuse. I probably have enough points to buy the jet, but it just isn't worth it.

Send them to me, I will apply them happily.
Old 08-24-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
Maybe you get use the points to buy some texas hold 'em lessons.
Old 08-24-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, jerks, I'm not really interested in creating a username and password with e-mail confirmation in order to win a free music download or whatever. Are you fucking kidding me?
Yeah, it's total horseshit. I tried this one time, and saw what a pain in the ass it would be to even see if I'd won anything. I can't be bothered-- so if I throw away a prize under a cap, well tough shit on me.

There are some that still say, "WIN 20 OZ COKE," or "PLAY AGAIN," or whatever, which is totally fine, but I always ignore those bullshit codes.
Old 08-24-06, 05:04 PM

Geez...how hard is it to check something like that?? 10-30 seconds?? Wow...what an awful thing to do!!!!
Man..I always check them when I remember, if I don't then oh well, but if I do i'll check it..it's not a big deal at all..
Old 08-24-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think he's talking about the effort. I think he resents their attempts to collect his information.

I'm sure he also doesn't use the keycards in grocery stores for discounts, or use credit cards for that matter, either.
Old 08-24-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I HATE that. I just want to pop open the cap and see if I won anything or not. I don't want to carry the cap around until I happen to be on a computer, then have to spend several minutes to sign up for a website and give out all kinds of information, just to see "Drink More Pepsi". And now every soft drink manufacturer is doing it. It sucks.
Old 08-24-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All you gotta do is create a spam mail account and use that for things like this. Sheesh! But if you really don't wanna, send the codes to me....

Last edited by GMan2819; 08-24-06 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cusm
That sounds like as much work as me applying them.
Old 08-24-06, 06:03 PM

Yeah! If I won a cruise or something just jam the tickets in the bottle!
Old 08-24-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every time I get one of these the code is "70Z3R!"

-Gunshy
Old 08-25-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bushdog
I don't think he's talking about the effort. I think he resents their attempts to collect his information.

I'm sure he also doesn't use the keycards in grocery stores for discounts, or use credit cards for that matter, either.
Let's say I enjoy wasting time. Here is what I would do if I attempted to redeem every "prize code" I received.

1. Go to website
2. Register on said website with a username, password, and e-mail address
3. Confirm your e-mail address
4. Check your code. Oops, no prize. So sorry.
5. Get spammed by the company for the rest of your entire life
6. Repeat for every fucking company on the planet who does these types of promotions

If you use a spam-catching e-mail address, change step 5 to "Block spam-catching e-mail address."

Once, and only once, have I done this, for a candy company promotion. I made the mistake of using my real e-mail address thinking I could easily unsubscribe from their spam the first time they e-mailed me since they are a reputable, well-known, law-abiding company. Wrong! After about 3 unsuccessful attempts at unsubscribing, followed by blocking the e-mails (they would change their from address), I wrote to the website, got the standard line about how it might take up to six weeks (apparently they keep the e-mail distribution list somewhere in the Himalayas, accessible only by a six-week journey by pack mule), then wrote again to get them to leave me the fuck alone. Finally, the e-mails stopped.

Safeway* or QFC have never done that to me. It's not even remotely similar.

* Actually, Safeway allowed me to sign up without filling out an application.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 08-25-06 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave

It can be worth it, sometimes. They had a Sony digital camera (a T30 I think) for 400 points or 40 12 packs worth. On the other hand, they have a fake leather football for 560 points, so the value certainly varies.

Of course, I think that point systems where you can earn something are far better than systems like what McDonalds had where it's look to find out. For the Pirates 2 promotion at McDonalds, they not only had the codes, but not peeling them immediately would have them stick to the side of the cup, rendering them unreadable. On top of that, the first month had the link to the crappy music prize going to a random IP address that wasn't working-it crashed in IE. When it worked, it looked like they wanted me to sign up for a service, so I gave up. Worst "contest" in recent memory.
Old 08-25-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[email protected]

Use that email for all your contests. I have a similar email.
Old 08-25-06, 09:54 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I resent this practice simply because its a way for the company to be a cheap ass and give the consumer as little as possible.

Used to be:
A prize was listed on the cap--turn it in where you bought it for the prize

NOW:
--Company gets your name, location (fake names cant collect prizes)
--a commitment from you to visit thier website which gives them hits
--Your eyes/ears/computer is exposed to to exhausting advertising promotions, popups etc

And IF you win a free tote bag for example---they get my home address and will send me junk mail that way, and add even more to their databse of shmucks who will do anything for their free crap.

To me its A PAIN IN THE ASS to be bombarded with advertisements. Its like a fucking bratty kid tugging my shirt for attention. People who are numb to it are probably empty husks of a human being--its impossible to have iron clad blinders up for every flashy crap thrown into your face yet still be able to maintain a sensitivity for art, culture, nature and the less loud things in life that are far more important. You either become too numb with practice or you give in to it.
Old 08-25-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
All you gotta do is create a spam mail account and use that for things like this. Sheesh! But if you really don't wanna, send the codes to me....
No you don't. I tried a cheetos promo. Win an ipod! It took literally 15 mintues to navigate through the terrible flash based website. You not only create an account (over 18 to win), but you have to actually have a child and create a sub/second account not only with a name but a secret code name you choose from a database for them to even put the fucking code in.

Guess what? I didn't win.

I love the ones for free music downloads. You take the code from the cap to put into a site to see if you won a code. Just put the fucking music code on the cap. It's all bullshit.

The only way this is not a pain in the ass is if you just save up a ton of caps from one promotion and put them all in at once.

Oh, [email protected] works great for spam emails.
Old 08-25-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it silly the things people get outraged about. I mean, this is a free promotion. You didn't purchase a chance in a sweepstakes. You bought a soft drink. Where the fuck is the moral outrage at the fact that sugar+water costs pennies yet you pay how much of a premium? BTW, the majority of the costs in the soda (ignoring the massive profit) are marketing costs. You know why? They're selling fucking sugar and water and convincing people that their sugar+water is better than another guy's.

And incidentally a shitty website, like the one Michael Corvin posted about is much more likely a Graphic Designer or creative-types fault. The marketing guy just wanted a site, they created it.

And Save Ferris, you crazy lovable bastard you how is "art" more important than advertising? I'll buy that it is your emotional opinion, based on no fact, but you stated it as fact. Economically speaking, and for the health of the US economy, I'm not certain you're correct.
Old 08-25-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If there was a remote chance of me winning something worthwhile, I might. I am not interested in clothing or accesories that advertise some other company. I only wear shirts that advertize MY OWN business.

If Coke wants me to wear a Coke t-shirt, they will have to pay me.
Old 08-25-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use fake information on my grocery card. I just don't want Safeway mailing me a bunch of crap or sending their produce goons after me when I squeeze their melons too hard.
Old 08-25-06, 11:00 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I find it silly the things people get outraged about. I mean, this is a free promotion. You didn't purchase a chance in a sweepstakes. You bought a soft drink. Where the fuck is the moral outrage at the fact that sugar+water costs pennies yet you pay how much of a premium? BTW, the majority of the costs in the soda (ignoring the massive profit) are marketing costs. You know why? They're selling fucking sugar and water and convincing people that their sugar+water is better than another guy's.

And incidentally a shitty website, like the one Michael Corvin posted about is much more likely a Graphic Designer or creative-types fault. The marketing guy just wanted a site, they created it.

And Save Ferris, you crazy lovable bastard you how is "art" more important than advertising? I'll buy that it is your emotional opinion, based on no fact, but you stated it as fact. Economically speaking, and for the health of the US economy, I'm not certain you're correct.
Yes its purely my emotional opinion--I resent the way advertising endlessly nags me. I can say 'no' within the first 10 seconds of a commercial, yet I see it 100 times. Its just exhausting, I hate being nagged. If we do a great job training ourselves to 'tune out' from the great commercial mass, I believe it affects our character in other things we 'tune out'. Plus I feel agressive inside when I suspect someone is trying to manipulate me--how can someone not? Advertising is not harmless but I agree theres 100s of things to be indignant about.

In the case of 'chance to win' bottle caps--It feels like another case of false advertising when you really dont have a chance to win anything 'instantly' like you used to. The company has done another of their multiple 'switcheroos' on the consumer. Like the way they raise prices by shrinking the amount of product you get for your money.
Old 08-25-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or the contests that imply you need to buy the product, but when you go to the site to enter, all it wants is the UPC code, which is the same for every same product.
I do have having to set up an 'account' for everything. At least if I'm going to set up an account, give me something--Pepsi/Dew do send out emails with other easy chances to win [not that I've won anything], so that's better than nothing.
The more obstacles they put in the way, the fewer people will do it, so they may have to actually pay out fewer prizes.
The implementation varies widely as well, some are worse than others.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.