Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

recommend learn Spanish language CD-ROM's

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-06, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any luck with CD-ROM's that help you learn Spanish? There are so many out there!
Old 08-24-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Berlitz is good. I've heard a lot about Rosetta stone too.
Old 08-24-06, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoQuEr
Berlitz is good. I've heard a lot about Rosetta stone too.
Rosetta stone is really expensive. I've used a few, and I like Instant Immersion the best

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1127508615430

It's also about 10% of the price of Rosetta stone (II comes with all three levels of spanish, Rosetta charges $499 for all three levels (or $195 a piece if you buy them one at a time).

What I like about II is that it 1) has a pronunciation feature that corrects your speech, 2) it includes verbs (whereas Rosetta really only teaches nouns and a few present tense verbs), 3) it's only $40.

What I don't like about II is 1) It's formal spanish, not latin american spanish (most other vendors have a latin american or mexican specific disk), 2) it's almost sink or swim from the first lesson, so you have to be about to motivate yourself to get over that initial hump

Another option would be to attend an accelerated language program like:

http://www.uh.edu/academics/dce/prog/lan.html (of course at a nearby University for you, though)

I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard that they are excellent as long as you immediately use the language following the course, otherwise you'll lose it. I'm sure someone here has done this.
Old 08-24-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rosetta Stone is the standard bearer. I haven't used it for Spanish but have been happy with it for Russian.
Old 08-24-06, 09:42 PM

Thanks! I will look into them
Old 08-24-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In addition to the CD-Rom... consider picking up a subscription to Buen Hogar (Goodhousekeeping) or Cosmopolitan en Español, try to spend an hour or two minimum per issue reading something.

And consider a CD based learning program - rip it to MP3 and download it to your MP3 player, then listen to it while taking a walk.

Really, whichever product or products you end up with, you have to actually use them. They won't do you any good sitting on the shelf.
Old 08-25-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Rosetta Stone is the standard bearer. I haven't used it for Spanish but have been happy with it for Russian.
I looked at Pimsleur Intro Russian (4 CD set). Seems OK, but I'd be curious as to how it compares with Rosetta. Have you tried Pimsleur at all BD?
Old 08-25-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, haven't. Truthfully, I'd suggest people try the demos for lots of these things, we all learn different ways. What I like about Rosetta is it teaches by recall, recognition, tests your speech and hits on both the visual and the written. It covers a lot of bases.
Old 08-25-06, 03:04 AM

Rosetta Stone does work, but it takes a very long time to complete and is also quite expensive. But, it is a good source to use. No one source will get you there alone.

The way to really learn a Foreign Language it to attack yourself with all different kinds of methods and materials. Finish one thing, move on to next, so on and so on. Tapes, Tv, Radio, Books, Workbooks, CD's, etc. Find things you enjoy reading and doing in English, then do them in Spanish. Consider it a part of your life, because you will be devoting much time to it.

If you don't want to sound like a complete fool, it's best to learn the accent first before delving into reading, etc. It's very hard to correct a bad accent once you have it. If you start by reading, you will develop a horrible accent. Why? Because you will be unconsciously pronouncing things the way one would in English. So, for best results, work on pronunciation first. Very important if you want to sound near native and not be a laughing stock.

Use Rocket Spanish, Learning Spanish Like Crazy, and/or Pimsleur (very pricey, so if you can't afford it, use the others listed) for this purpose.

There is really no need to pay to take early Spanish level classes in school. They are for the most part a waste of time and money. They don't teach you anything you can't teach yourself (as tons of books cover these levels for much cheaper). Think of all the people you know who have taken language in traditional schooling. How many actually are able to speak it? The failure rate of it is 96+%. Another negative is that you will be surrounded by students with god awful accents; therefore, you will unconsciously imitate them from hearing them so much. Work with natives and native level audio cd's for pronunciation.

If your not willing to devote a part of your life to learning the language for the next year or two (and making it a part of your life for good), don't bother. Sounds harsh, but just being honest. It takes time and is a lot of work. But, you will be very happy with yourself down the line and open new opportunities for yourself if you decide to follow through.

This is considering your interested in fluency/near fluency. If your just looking to pick up a few phrases for a trip or to show off at a drunken fiesta, it will be much less demanding.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 08-25-06 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody have any leads on podcasts on learning Spanish?
Old 08-25-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i used to have one, but erased it. check itunes or google it

if you want to learn proper castillian spanish then you need a class or DVD. if you just want to learn spanish, just ask one of the illegals to help you. it's not that hard since the language is very structured. key is knowing how to conjugate the verbs which is standard.