Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is no one hiring me???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Why is no one hiring me???

Old 08-23-06, 11:13 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is no one hiring me???

I have been looking for a new job (still employeed) for almost 6 months now and in that time I have only gotten about 5 calls and no face to face interviews. I am an IT manager in the DC Metro Area with a friggin' clearance and I seem to be an undesirable hire.

I have no idea what I am missing that people are looking for. I have 13+ years IT experience, 10 IT certifications and am trying to finish up my BS in IT. Maybe the lack of degree is the problem. I am afraid the real problem is that I am "too" experienced.

Anyone have any insight into the DC job market as it relates to the IT field?
Old 08-23-06, 11:19 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhm...there are probably more people than jobs.

Supply > Demand

-p
Old 08-23-06, 11:26 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
uhm...there are probably more people than jobs.

Supply > Demand

-p
Yeah, I hear what you are sayin'. I just keep hearing how in demand I am and not seeing it. A bit frustrating.
Old 08-23-06, 11:26 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,609
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably because you're not willing to take Part-time for chump change with no benefits. It seems that's all they're looking for these days.
Old 08-23-06, 11:35 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Probably because you're not willing to take Part-time for chump change with no benefits. It seems that's all they're looking for these days.
Yeah, I think that is part of the problem. I am paid really well but looking for something different hoping not to take a huge pay cut. I guess it really depends on how badly I want to change jobs.
Old 08-23-06, 11:43 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe they think you want too much money? Or hasn't it even gotten that far?

With an active clearance, you should be able to move around freely in DC.

What companies are you applying to? and what kind of positions?

did you look here? www.dcjobs.com
Old 08-23-06, 11:55 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Maybe they think you want too much money? Or hasn't it even gotten that far?

With an active clearance, you should be able to move around freely in DC.

What companies are you applying to? and what kind of positions?

did you look here? www.dcjobs.com
I will look there. The most action I have seen has come from dice.com. I had never heard of them until a friend mentioned the site to me on Monday.

They may think I want too much $$. I make low 6 figures and that might be my problem. As I stated, it is not the $$ that is the problem with where I am, it is that I am looking for a change. I might have to realize that a pay cut may have to be in order. That would suck!!!
Old 08-24-06, 12:07 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you're not very good at expressing yourself in writing or over the phone. Maybe your cover letter sucks. Maybe your resume is unfocused or poorly-worded. Maybe it's the salary.

I doubt it's the degree--13 years experience more than makes up for that. I mean, obviously having it is better than not, though.
Old 08-24-06, 12:08 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about IT - but making low 6 figures without a degree in your field seems pretty damn good to me...
Old 08-24-06, 12:11 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangerory
I don't know much about IT - but making low 6 figures without a degree in your field seems pretty damn good to me...
Like I said, not leaving the job due to low or median pay. I am grateful for the money I make. Just looking for a change of pace and something different in the IT field.
Old 08-24-06, 12:13 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Maybe you're not very good at expressing yourself in writing or over the phone. Maybe your cover letter sucks. Maybe your resume is unfocused or poorly-worded. Maybe it's the salary.

I doubt it's the degree--13 years experience more than makes up for that. I mean, obviously having it is better than not, though.
It may be the phone interview. I actually hired a professional writer for my resume and had it reviewed by respected peers and they said it read very well. Honestly, I don't use cover letters very often. When I hire folks, I don't pay them 2 seconds.

Last edited by steak-too; 08-24-06 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-24-06, 12:32 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,114
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steak-too
Honestly, I don't use cover letters very often. When I hire folks, I don't pay them 2 seconds.
That could be a mistake. Just because you don't look at them doesn't mean it is that way for everyone.
Old 08-24-06, 12:32 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangerory
I don't know much about IT - but making low 6 figures without a degree in your field seems pretty damn good to me...

With a clearance in DC, it is about average. Only a handful of companies here DEMAND the degree for IT work. The clearance is actually worth more (if it is above secret)

Hey I am getting bored with my IT position too, want to switch jobs for a few months?
Old 08-24-06, 01:43 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you wear your pants low w/your boxers showing, 3XL shirts and a baseball cap and have your posse with you when you apply?
Old 08-24-06, 01:46 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Do you wear your pants low w/your boxers showing, 3XL shirts and a baseball cap and have your posse with you when you apply?
I don't. Is this what I've been doing wrong?
Old 08-24-06, 05:10 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,609
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Do you wear your pants low w/your boxers showing, 3XL shirts and a baseball cap and have your posse with you when you apply?

I wonder if he calls himself "K-Grease" when he shows up?
Old 08-24-06, 07:29 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how far are you from finishing your degree?

i hate to say it.. but at your level and pay, a degree is pretty much expected

you can come in low at a company and work your way up without a degree.. depending on their policies..

but its much more difficult to get a company to bring you in at a higher level, without one
Old 08-24-06, 07:48 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,272
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Often times in the DC area if you are looking for government work a degree might be part of the contract or requirements.
Old 08-24-06, 08:24 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one who is picking up some serious attitude on the part of the OP here? Maybe I'm wrong... someone correct me if I'm wrong... but if I'm picking up on a vibe that says, "Hey, I'm a hotshot IT professional, and I deserve to be treated accordingly"... well, maybe some other people who actually get to talk to you can pick up on the same thing.

But beyond that -- yeah, the degree is an issue. Remember that, at many firms, your resume is handled by HR before it ever gets to IT. All that HR can go on is a set of job requirements furnished for the position, and almost every one of them starts off at the top with "bachelor degree or higher". Most IT managers will personally shrug off that kind of requirement -- but then, most IT managers will never see your resume at all if it comes through HR.

Do this -- you have a good job now, yes? Start joining some local professional organizations. Not just trade-related -- although by all means, if you're not a member of some kind of local CNA or Windows Networking club, you should be -- but outside of that realm. Get involved in some Chamber of Commerce or local charitable organizations. Offer to build some websites, or set up a WiFi network, or whatever it is that you're good at. Join a book club or two. Make sure to attend some professional conventions or events.

The goal is to try and meet some IT people significantly up the hiring ladder. Maybe they won't have an open position, but dollars to donuts says they know someone who does. Always have a business card ready -- not a resume! -- and make sure it includes your personal e-mail address and cell phone number.

And finally, take a good hard look at yourself. Have you developed something of an "Nick Burns" kind of attitude? Don't be ashamed to admit it -- it happens to even the best of IT folks. I call it "turning to the dark side". And maybe it'll fly once you're entrenched in a position, but it will kill you in interviews. If it's there, break out of it ASAP. And don't be afraid to cast a wide net when sending out resumes.
Old 08-24-06, 08:56 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,806
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in IT and DC, and I recently had 3 companies after me (one of which made an offer before the other two, but my company wound up keeping me). I have a clearance, a CS degree, several certs and several years experience and still don't make nearly as much as you (and none of the jobs I was looking at did either).

Unless you're a Unix guru with a TS/SCI clearance along with all of your listed attributes (years experience, certs), then you can definitely expect a severe pay cut. How much do you really think IT managers with no college degree really make in this town? (or any for that matter)

Personally, if you're willing to take a pay cut, you should still have no problem finding some jobs in the $60s -> $80s. Try looking at careerbuilder or monster if you haven't done so already. If you're looking for something around what you're making now, forget about it.
Old 08-24-06, 09:04 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Am I the only one who is picking up some serious attitude on the part of the OP here? Maybe I'm wrong... someone correct me if I'm wrong... but if I'm picking up on a vibe that says, "Hey, I'm a hotshot IT professional, and I deserve to be treated accordingly"... well, maybe some other people who actually get to talk to you can pick up on the same thing.

But beyond that -- yeah, the degree is an issue. Remember that, at many firms, your resume is handled by HR before it ever gets to IT. All that HR can go on is a set of job requirements furnished for the position, and almost every one of them starts off at the top with "bachelor degree or higher". Most IT managers will personally shrug off that kind of requirement -- but then, most IT managers will never see your resume at all if it comes through HR.

Do this -- you have a good job now, yes? Start joining some local professional organizations. Not just trade-related -- although by all means, if you're not a member of some kind of local CNA or Windows Networking club, you should be -- but outside of that realm. Get involved in some Chamber of Commerce or local charitable organizations. Offer to build some websites, or set up a WiFi network, or whatever it is that you're good at. Join a book club or two. Make sure to attend some professional conventions or events.

The goal is to try and meet some IT people significantly up the hiring ladder. Maybe they won't have an open position, but dollars to donuts says they know someone who does. Always have a business card ready -- not a resume! -- and make sure it includes your personal e-mail address and cell phone number.

And finally, take a good hard look at yourself. Have you developed something of an "Nick Burns" kind of attitude? Don't be ashamed to admit it -- it happens to even the best of IT folks. I call it "turning to the dark side". And maybe it'll fly once you're entrenched in a position, but it will kill you in interviews. If it's there, break out of it ASAP. And don't be afraid to cast a wide net when sending out resumes.
Good points. I don't think I am coming off as Johnny Bad-ass in the phone interviews but you never know what others are thinking. I try to keep it real and I am honest in my interviews when I am asked about my experience and if I have done this or that.

Volunteer work is certainly something I should do. Between work, family and school I feel overwhelmed with no time. Maybe I can find something for just a few hours here and there.

Thanks for the tough love, bro!
Old 08-24-06, 09:08 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kneijst1
I'm in IT and DC, and I recently had 3 companies after me (one of which made an offer before the other two, but my company wound up keeping me). I have a clearance, a CS degree, several certs and several years experience and still don't make nearly as much as you (and none of the jobs I was looking at did either).

Unless you're a Unix guru with a TS/SCI clearance along with all of your listed attributes (years experience, certs), then you can definitely expect a severe pay cut. How much do you really think IT managers with no college degree really make in this town? (or any for that matter)

Personally, if you're willing to take a pay cut, you should still have no problem finding some jobs in the $60s -> $80s. Try looking at careerbuilder or monster if you haven't done so already. If you're looking for something around what you're making now, forget about it.
I hear what you are saying. Most of the jobs I have been looking at would pay within the ballpark of my current range. I actually interviewed for jobs that were within about 15k of my current range. At that time, I was not interested enough in the offered position to take a cut in pay.

I am about 60% through my degree and taking accelerated classes to push through. I expect to be done within the next 1.5-2 yrs going part-time with an accellerated schedule. We will see what happens.
Old 08-24-06, 09:13 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you strictly managing or doing a little chunk of developing?
Old 08-24-06, 09:24 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodoubt
are you strictly managing or doing a little chunk of developing?
I manage a group of people, I am in charge of 6 sites (5 of which are scattered across the country), project planning and deploy new technology (Storage Area Networks, Email Systems, etc.), do sysadmin work, do security work (I am the Facility Security Officer).

I hold the following certs:

MCSA:Security
MCSE:Security
A+
Net+
Server+
Security+
Dell Server Certified

Getting my BS in Networking.

That's the skinny.
Old 08-24-06, 09:29 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i'd agree with your overqualified assessment.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.