Reload this Page >

Denver group outing suggestions?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have suggestions for a group outing in Denver? This would be something after work with a bunch of co-workers.
Old 08-23-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk God

If anyone will be dead, I saw a movie that might help.
Old 08-23-06, 05:23 PM

The place is a bit old and run down, and the food is terrible, but if you drink enough maragaritias, Casa Bonita is a kick-ass place. (They even made a South Park episode about it).
Old 08-23-06, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Easy, LoDo. Tons of bars. Can't go wrong there. Sit down, get a beer, and talk Sh** about your boss. It'll be a blast. Although parking might not be.

P.S. Am I invited?
Old 08-23-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

too bad, i was in the denver area a few weeks ago
Old 08-23-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

i was in denver a few weeks ago too
i thought i saw you there al

we stayed pretty busy.. but did find the local pappadeaux
Old 08-23-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what, you don't ask your friends who actually live in the area?
Old 08-23-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a few free beers in Golden after you have breakfast at Table Mountain Inn. Once you finish your free beers, head over to Woody's for some pizza and more beer.
Old 08-24-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can take in a Rockies game. The stadium is right downtown. If that doesn't appeal there are tons of restaurants and bars to hang out at. Here is a link to the comedy club that is downtown
http://www.comedyworks.com/4/home.asp

There is a fun Moroccan restaurant called Matam Fez. You sit on the floor and they don't have silverware.... Actually, it will only be as fun as the group you go with, if they are prissy then it will be very unpleasant. The food is very good though.

As Groucho mentioned, Casa Bonita is another place that can be a blast if you have the right people with you. The food is only a step or two above Taco Bell, but you can watch the indoor cliff diving show, explore Black Bart's Cave, and spend some more money in the arcade or market. http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

If you are down in the south part of town you can go to Trail Dust and have steak and slide down the giant slide. If you wear a tie they make a big production of cutting it off (you can refuse of course) and then you get a free beverage. At least I think they still do that...

The already mentioned pappadeaux's is down on the south end of town as well.

You haven't given much info about the group or when you are going to be there so my help is pretty vague.
Old 08-24-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beavismom
You can take in a Rockies game. The stadium is right downtown. If that doesn't appeal there are tons of restaurants and bars to hang out at. Here is a link to the comedy club that is downtown
http://www.comedyworks.com/4/home.asp

There is a fun Moroccan restaurant called Matam Fez. You sit on the floor and they don't have silverware.... Actually, it will only be as fun as the group you go with, if they are prissy then it will be very unpleasant. The food is very good though.

As Groucho mentioned, Casa Bonita is another place that can be a blast if you have the right people with you. The food is only a step or two above Taco Bell, but you can watch the indoor cliff diving show, explore Black Bart's Cave, and spend some more money in the arcade or market. http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

If you are down in the south part of town you can go to Trail Dust and have steak and slide down the giant slide. If you wear a tie they make a big production of cutting it off (you can refuse of course) and then you get a free beverage. At least I think they still do that...

The already mentioned pappadeaux's is down on the south end of town as well.

You haven't given much info about the group or when you are going to be there so my help is pretty vague.
Thanks for all the tips - I just moved to Denver and am still learning the city, so this helps.
Old 08-24-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beavismom
Actually, I know exactly where the Trail Dust is because our office is about 2 miles from there. I usually stay at the Sheraton that is next door.
Old 08-24-06, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Actually, I know exactly where the Trail Dust is because our office is about 2 miles from there. I usually stay at the Sheraton that is next door.
I know where you work now, wowhaaa haaa haaaa..........

Trail Dust
Old 08-24-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I actually live about ten minutes away from the Tech Center. Pappadeaux's is in the same vacinity on the west side of I-25. Great food but a little pricey.

I agree with B.A. Golden is where I grew up (hence the username) it's about 40 minutes west of The Tech Center. Table Mountain Inn is also great food, There's Heritage square which is a large outside shopping area which also has an Alpine slide from the top of the hill to the bottom.

And if you go to Golden don't forget to visit Foss Drug - they have everything from old fashioned candy to pinball machines to antique gas pumps for sale.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-24-06 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-24-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for: "things to do" or restaurants/bars to go to? The Rockies is a great choice, and if it's this w/e, they are in town. Cheap tickets can almost always be had (as in $5 cheap), and it's just a fun thing to do.

The restaurants and bars in Lodo are also good fun for a group (Coors Field is in Lodo so a game could be combined with these places). Here's a few: Wynkoop Brewery (brewpub owned by the Mayor), Wazee Supper Club (pizza sammich beer kinda place), the Rio (crappy food but Margs that will make your head spin), Il Fornaio (chain italian place that doesn't seem like a chain, looks and feels very upscale but isn't expensive), Fado (chain Irish pub), Redfish (brewpub), and there are tons more I can't think of.

Cool bars or places you could check out: Brown Palace (fancy hotel, a landmark in Denver), the Cruise Room (bar in the Oxford Hotel), the Capitol, Public Library, and Denver Art Museum (all cool as hell buildings worth a look see, and all within 2 blocks), Pints Pub (cool pub near those places, you and I and a banned member drank here)...

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head...
Old 08-24-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason to take people on an outing to Golden is if they want to do the Coors tour.
Old 08-24-06, 12:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Bovine Metropolis Improv Theater.
Denver Improv Festival - mid-October.

Casa Bonita's food sucks, by the way. It's something to take your tourist friends to, but I wouldn't go there for a great meal.

(ex-Denver dweller speaking here)
Old 08-24-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Bovine Metropolis Improv Theater.
Denver Improv Festival - mid-October.

Casa Bonita's food sucks, by the way. It's something to take your tourist friends to, but I wouldn't go there for a great meal.

(ex-Denver dweller speaking here)
I think that's why it's being suggested.

For really good (New) Mexican, try Jack and Grill on Federal. Mmmmm, green chile.
Old 08-24-06, 12:25 PM
Suspended

I can't get pass that "The People's Republic of Boulder"

I know people joke about that, but it seems you take as a sign of pride.
Old 08-24-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know exactly where will be ! My husband worked in the Tech Center just up the road.

I can't decide if you are looking for a place that will entertain you, negating the need to talk to each other, or a place that you can socialize at. If you are looking to socialize and eat (albeit expensively) you can visit the Melting Pot(fondue) in Littleton. Pricey, but fun with a group and in a very cool building (as opposed to the one here in Austin that is in a strip mall).

You didn't say when you are going, but here is a link to a bunch of the festivals in the area http://www.denver.org/Events/index.p...&cat=festivals

Also, the Colorado Avalanche practice just down the road from you starting in Mid-September. The pre-season practices are open to the public, but are usually during the day so that might not be an option for you... and, you might not like hockey.
Old 08-24-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, yeah, this is in October ... around the 16th to 19th.

I think I am settled to suggest LoDo for Monday night (football mostly) and then maybe something along the lines of the something in Boulder.

Any suggestions for that part of town?
Old 08-24-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I can't get pass that "The People's Republic of Boulder"

I know people joke about that, but it seems you take as a sign of pride.
A point of pride? Nah. I don't give a shit. I think it's funny, and it's more interesting to put that in my location than just "Boulder".

There's also "4 square miles surrounded by reality".

But truly, with each passing day Boulder becomes less weird and more mainstream. And regardless, it's a damn cool place to live.
Old 08-24-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So in other words, you have a Starbucks, Panera Bread, Borders, Best Buy, and a Home Depot?
Old 08-24-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So in other words, you have a Starbucks, Panera Bread, Borders, Best Buy, and a Home Depot?
Yes (x3), no (used to but it closed down, replaced with a similar chain place, Paradise bakery), yes, no, and yes (opened a few months ago).

And while we don't have a best buy, we have a circuit city and a soundtrack.
Old 08-24-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.boulderteahouse.com/

i liked this place when i was in boulder last year. wanted to go this year, but didn't get a chance.
Old 08-24-06, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
But truly, with each passing day Boulder becomes less weird and more mainstream. And regardless, it's a damn cool place to live.
Yeah, I'm a CU grad, I know what you're talking about. I mistaken you for some native Boulderites whom are really proud and think Boulder is a country of its own because how unique it is. I just . It's one of the many reasons I had to move out of Boulder after graduation, can't stand it. It has its ups and downs, but for me the downs has got me more.

And come on Bestbuy is only like 5 miles away in Flatiron, it's not that far away. Hopefully they'll open one in 29th street mall

Last edited by SuperJim88; 08-24-06 at 01:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.