Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Extreme Makeover Home Edition has taken over my neighborhood!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-23-06, 09:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Extreme Makeover Home Edition is working on a house near my apartments. They've been at it since Sunday. It's about a 3 minute walk to the build spot from my place. But across the street they've set up their base camp. Lucky for them there's a huge empty piece of land 500 feet fom the build spot. They've barricaded traffic around my apartment and I have to take a detour to get anywhere.

I walked over to the site. Some guy was signing autographs. I don't know who it was, it wasn't Ty though. I think I got a picture of the guy. Maybe I'll post the pic here to see if anyone recognizes him. Also, they've really commandeeed that whole street. They have huge tents in one guy's yard, truck trailers up to one house's front door, and equipment and whatnot strewn all over another yard. Surely these neighbors have to be compensated somewhat or at least put up in hotels?
Old 08-23-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let us know the sob story that got them there ASAP.

thx!
Old 08-23-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That show is so bizarre. "What family is pathetic enough to win our prize?"

So, do you know the people they are "remodeling"? It would be neat to get follow up reports. I suspect most of them are not really any better off afterward.
Old 08-23-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't really watched the show, but how do these families pay the property taxes, etc on these new homes if they weren't too well off to begin with?
Old 08-23-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-23-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was one in a little town north of me, their son died at age 6 from a Brain Tumor, they had like 6 other children, the father didn't make a lot of money. They built them a really huge house. I dont know how they are going to afford the taxes now that the house is 4 times larger
Old 08-23-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Sears gives them a 'job' which pays their RE taxes.
Old 08-23-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

thats pretty cool
out of the design type shows that corrie likes.. i dont mind that one as much.. because its cool to see a full home go up that quickly

dont care anything about the sob stories though
Old 08-23-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by M2theAX
There was one in a little town north of me, their son died at age 6 from a Brain Tumor, they had like 6 other children, the father didn't make a lot of money. They built them a really huge house. I dont know how they are going to afford the taxes now that the house is 4 times larger
if I remember right.. the show takes care of this somehow
you have to sell them your home before they start.. then they do the upgrades and pay all the taxes, then they sell you your home back..

there was some system of getting around the tax problems
Old 08-23-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This child was a big deal, I mean of course its horrible. It was in the papers, local news, the parents setup a foundation now for other terminally ill children. It was nice to see they got the house, and hopefully a little relief, but in some ways I also found it a little tacky and exploitive.
Old 08-23-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
if I remember right.. the show takes care of this somehow
you have to sell them your home before they start.. then they do the upgrades and pay all the taxes, then they sell you your home back..

there was some system of getting around the tax problems
Sears' 5 step process to profit!

1. Find some sucker
2. Put them on tv
3. Buy and rebuild their ghetto shack
4. Sell it back
5. PROFIT!

Not really but I remember hearing somewhere that they do take care of the property taxes for like 10 years or something of that sort.
Old 08-23-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDave
I haven't really watched the show, but how do these families pay the property taxes, etc on these new homes if they weren't too well off to begin with?

as i mentioned in my other post.. they have some system where abc buys the house and takes the tax hit after upgrading, then sells it back and covers the taxes... not 100% how it all works

and typically.. there is more to it than just the house.. donations from the community, scholarships, home businesses created, etc... alot of times, they come out 50,000-100,000 or more ahead, aside from the home build.
Old 08-23-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sells it back to the family? for a really cheap price or something?

could the family then screw abc and sell it to someone else for full value, buy a smaller house and pocket the difference?
Old 08-23-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ABC or Extreme makeover actually leases the property from the family and makes the improvements i.e. rebuilds everything.
Then, the lease ends after the renovations and the "landlord families" owe nothing extra for the "improvements."
link

at least that is the plan until the assessors gets wind of the idea.
Old 08-23-06, 12:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all states revalue the property right, or is california the only one where it stays the same?

My neighbours are paying taxes on a 2.5M house they paid 30K for.
Friends are buying a house from their parents, and as it's still in the family they get to keep the original purchase price as the prop tax basis, again it's about 50K.

I'd love to see pics of the setup they have, I've read a similar thread about this before, but I don't think it was on here.
Old 08-23-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Not all states revalue the property right, or is california the only one where it stays the same?
In Illinois it's re-evaluated every 3 or 4 years depending on the county, and it doesn't have to change owners to happen.

They also know when any improvements have been done, as long as permits were pulled.
Old 08-23-06, 01:11 PM

take a pic of the girl who's always wearing pink!
Old 08-23-06, 06:00 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nevermind
Let us know the sob story that got them there ASAP.

thx!
The son is thirteen and has cerebral palsy. His dad used to be able to carry him around the house, but has recently suffered TWO heart attacks and is in bad shape himself. The interesting thing is their old house wasn't in bad shape, just not accessible for their new situation. So they uprooted the old house and are donating it to Habitats for Humanity instead of just demolishing it.
Old 08-23-06, 06:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Also, they're taking lots of applications for volunteers. All sorts of odd jobs and you get one of those blue worker t-shirts. Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't permit it unless I take up one of the late night gigs, since they're working 24-7.
Old 08-24-06, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know of at least 2 families who had to sell their made-over house because they couldn't afford the taxes on it. My wife and I watch the show all the time, and the families are usually given money or the mortgage is paid off for them, but I think most of them just don't know how to budget their money well.
Old 08-24-06, 09:40 AM

Can we get some pics please?
Old 08-24-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always wondered about taxes afterwards and such.

ABC's heart seems to be in the right place, but I imagine the electric bills would at least double for the news houses, taxes, etc, etc. If these families couldn't take care of their homes before, I just really question how they'd be able to do so w/ the new house...
Old 08-24-06, 01:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iBleedGarnet
Can we get some pics please?
I'll see if I can to get them uploaded tonight. I might go back over there and see how they've progressed since Tuesday.
Old 08-24-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

its all a big scam
Old 08-24-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
The son is thirteen and has cerebral palsy. His dad used to be able to carry him around the house, but has recently suffered TWO heart attacks and is in bad shape himself. The interesting thing is their old house wasn't in bad shape, just not accessible for their new situation. So they uprooted the old house and are donating it to Habitats for Humanity instead of just demolishing it.
I was wondering if you knew them. That way the whole forum can be privy to what bullshit they make up for the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.