Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Call out to scientists, eject seat on commercial jet not possible?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-22-06, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is story like this makes me wonder again, is it not possible to install ejecting seat like ones in fighter jet into commercial passanger seats? When there is distress, the pilot would press eject and have all the passager eject out with parachutes and safely land to the ground. I know there are costs issue but when it comes to saving life versus money, I choose life. Not to mention whenever there is one commercial jet crash, the death toll is always in the hundreds.

So otter scientists, is it not possible? Has nobody ever thought about this or has the idea already been shot down before? If so, why?
Old 08-22-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's whack.....
Old 08-22-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
It is story like this makes me wonder again, is it not possible to install ejecting seat like ones in fighter jet into commercial passanger seats? When there is distress, the pilot would press eject and have all the passager eject out with parachutes and safely land to the ground. I know there are costs issue but when it comes to saving life versus money, I choose life. Not to mention whenever there is one commercial jet crash, the death toll is always in the hundreds.

So otter scientists, is it not possible? Has nobody ever thought about this or has the idea already been shot down before? If so, why?

would you really want to pay $4,000 per a flight? People are bitching about the prices as is
Old 08-22-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah super idea. So instead of one or two pilots and a small fighter jet falling together with a small chance of collision. We have a huge aircraft and 2 pilots plus 200 other people falling thru the sky with a high chance of collision. Plus everyone would have to put on a parachute when they boarded the plane.

As dumb of an idea as it is it would be neato to see someone get sucked thru a jet turbine on the way down.
Old 08-22-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cost prohibitive, weight prohibitive, altitude prohibitive and likely impossible from a liability standpoint.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2002/11/11/112711.php
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why don't they just make the planes out of the material they make the black box out of?
DVD Talk Godfather

And how do you expect the roof of the airplane to pop off?
Old 08-22-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless you wanted people to wear oxygen, helmets & be belted in like a race car driver in preparation for the 20G ejection that would probably kill half of them, it would be a bit of a waste of time & money.
Old 08-22-06, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mopower
Yeah super idea. So instead of one or two pilots and a small fighter jet falling together with a small chance of collision. We have a huge aircraft and 2 pilots plus 200 other people falling thru the sky with a high chance of collision. Plus everyone would have to put on a parachute when they boarded the plane.

As dumb of an idea as it is it would be neato to see someone get sucked thru a jet turbine on the way down.
The ejecting would obviously be over a little period of time, not all at once. I'm not saying this will save 100% of the passengers but perhaps 50% or 60%. Anything percentage saved is better than 100% death.
Old 08-22-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They do have smaller prop planes that can deploy a parachute for the whole plain but they are very expensive
Old 08-22-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The ejecting would obviously be over a little period of time, not all at once. I'm not saying this will save 100% of the passengers but perhaps 50% or 60%. Anything percentage saved is better than 100% death.

Considering that more people probably die by vending machines falling on them or from electric blankets catching on fire each year then plane crashes, the level of safety for airlines is really high
Old 08-22-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think most crashes occur during takeoff and landing, where you wouldn't have the altitude for a chute to deploy.
Old 08-22-06, 02:29 PM

Think it takes a while to get thru the security line?....imagine how long the egress training line would be!
Old 08-22-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What happens over the ocean? What if their parachutes fail to open?

I appreciate the spirit of your thought but it is simply not possible.
Old 08-22-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about a foam filled in cabin before it crash? Like Demolition Man did with car when Slyvester character crashed.
Old 08-22-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember in the Jetsons how they talked to people while they could see them on a TV screen, ha ha how absurd!
Old 08-22-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

or they could spend all that money on better pilots, security, maintenance, early warning systems.. either way
Old 08-22-06, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Cost prohibitive, weight prohibitive, altitude prohibitive and likely impossible from a liability standpoint.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2002/11/11/112711.php
nice link!! Thanks!
Old 08-22-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Aloha Airlines mastered this technology back in '88:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Flight_243

Last edited by Quatermass; 08-22-06 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Rockets!

Airliners don't usually crash flying straight and level. So I think having a cartwheeling airliner going 700 mph may pervent anyone from surviving an ejection from one.
Old 08-22-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
How about a foam filled in cabin before it crash? Like Demolition Man did with car when Slyvester character crashed.
I've often thought they actually make something like that for cars.
Old 08-22-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

no offense to the OP
but this is one of the dumbest ideas ever
Old 08-22-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the stupid fuckers in this country have a hard time operating an alarm clock. You think they'd be able to deploy a parachute?
Old 08-22-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about a new first class section where if you want to pay the extra money you get to sit in these pods ala Escape from New York. If the plane crashes you still live. And yes these "pods" can float and the hatch can be opened from the inside incase of a water landing.
Old 08-22-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not feasible for so many reasons:
*You have to be wearing a pressurized flight suit, have supplemental oxygen, and be secured strapped to ejection seat. You can't get up and go to lavatory. Pee in your bottle.
*You'd have to peel away the entire upper surface of planes. Fighter jets have a small disposable canopy, which is non-structural. One the length of the aircraft would weaken the plane.
*You are "fired from a cannon." A rocket charge fires you at high g-force to get you above the tail before it cuts you in half. Training is required and you have to be in "fighter pilot condition." Not good for typical flabby Americans. The rocket plume would burn other customers not yet "fired from cannon."
*The technology and maintenance is very expensive.
Fighter jets need this because people shoot at them, and losses are expected. It is not practical for a large passenger liner.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.