Reload this Page >

So, there were strikers in front of my work today

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-22-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i drive by my work, and I see some strikers trying to obstruct people's entrance into my work. I'd like to point out that the people that are striking are city workers. Now, I'd also like to point out that I am not a city worker, and that the building where i work at is not a city building.

Oddly enough, there's a city building right next to my building, and I don't see and strikers there
Old 08-22-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

did they have the big rat?

what were they striking about? nice pensions and full medical in retirement not enough for them?
Old 08-22-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
did they have the big rat?

what were they striking about? nice pensions and full medical in retirement not enough for them?
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_4206611

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-nostri...ll=ktla-news-1
Old 08-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
Well, i drive by my work, and I see some strikers trying to obstruct people's entrance into my work. I'd like to point out that the people that are striking are city workers. Now, I'd also like to point out that I am not a city worker, and that the building where i work at is not a city building.

Oddly enough, there's a city building right next to my building, and I don't see and strikers there
Well, that does say something about the collective intelligence of your average group of city workers, now doesn't it?
Old 08-22-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Well, that does say something about the collective intelligence of your average group of city workers, now doesn't it?

"The Engineers and Architects Association, which represents 8,000 workers across a variety of city agencies, is scheduled to begin revolving pickets Tuesday and Wednesday."

meh.....
Old 08-22-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
"The Engineers and Architects Association, which represents 8,000 workers across a variety of city agencies, is scheduled to begin revolving pickets Tuesday and Wednesday."

meh.....
One would expect an engineer to be precise when selecting an address at which to picket, and an architectect to be able to tell two buildings apart, yes? Well, one would expect such abilities from engineers and architects employed in the private sector, anyway.
Old 08-22-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shouldn't they have been there yesterday when Arnold was speaking?
Old 08-22-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to work in the office of a big steel company. We never had a strike but there were times when I thought they would. It can be scary times.
Old 08-22-06, 11:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was working for a security firm the summer between college and law school, and I had to cross a picket line to get into a chemical plant. Luckily my boss drive us in, because his tires were destroyed every day.
Old 08-22-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Shouldn't they have been there yesterday when Arnold was speaking?
well, there where protesters yesterday too...

but in any event, city workers are under the mayor, not the governor.
Old 08-22-06, 12:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

If they can't get the right building, they can't be expected to get the right government offical.
Old 08-22-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In public statements and radio ads, the union has said its strike would close LAX runways, send sewage spilling into Santa Monica Bay and create citywide traffic gridlock.
Nice!

That is a really good way to show that you deserve more compensation.
Old 08-22-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, if they don't even have bongos, why bother. They can't win.
Old 08-22-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats anti union propaganda, I am a member of a Union, the IAFF to be exact. Its funny that people who bad mouth the unions are usual workers which are not organized. Granted there are bad eggs on both side. Being in a union can not hurt you. Think about the millions of people who work in offices or large coorperations only to be laid off and replaced with a recent college grad who is doign your job for half the salary. IMO Unions wouldnt exist if corporate America, and all America of america respected their workers, no matter what type of work you are in. Now striking on the other hand, yes it can cost the city millions, and be an inconvience. My union is bound by law not to strike nor would we ever. But we are allowed to demonstrate. So many people get taken of advantage today and its not fair. There are many benefits to be in a union, but if there was no union it would be more like a temp job.
Old 08-22-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by M2theAX
Being in a union can not hurt you.
What if I am significantly better than most at my job and want to be compensated on my ability?
Old 08-22-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
What if I am significantly better than most at my job and want to be compensated on my ability?
Exactly correct!
Old 08-22-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You can still be promoted and be within a union.
Old 08-22-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can still be promoted and be within a union.
But can you receive more compensation for being better at your job? I want to be evaluated based on my performance.
Old 08-22-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I'm not exactly sure about that question? But being better at the job then others is basically how one would get into the union, to have the security that they will not hire unskilled people to fulfill your jobs.
Old 08-22-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So we can have a seperate "We are much better at doing this job than those other slackers, so pay us more than them" union? Sweet!
Old 08-22-06, 02:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Yeah I'm not exactly sure about that question? But being better at the job then others is basically how one would get into the union, to have the security that they will not hire unskilled people to fulfill your jobs.
That's not how it works in the construction unions around here. You have to know someone to get in. Skill has very little to do with it.
Old 08-22-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thats anti union propaganda, I am a member of a Union, the IAFF to be exact. Its funny that people who bad mouth the unions are usual workers which are not organized. Granted there are bad eggs on both side. Being in a union can not hurt you. Think about the millions of people who work in offices or large coorperations only to be laid off and replaced with a recent college grad who is doign your job for half the salary. IMO Unions wouldnt exist if corporate America, and all America of america respected their workers, no matter what type of work you are in. Now striking on the other hand, yes it can cost the city millions, and be an inconvience. My union is bound by law not to strike nor would we ever. But we are allowed to demonstrate. So many people get taken of advantage today and its not fair. There are many benefits to be in a union, but if there was no union it would be more like a temp job.
6 years of working in civilian life and I have never heard of one case where this happened. our sales people are fired all the time for not meeting quota, but i've never seen anyone laid off or fired and replaced with someone younger or cheaper.
Old 08-22-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i live in NYC and everyone knows it's not true, you have to pay someone off
Old 08-22-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What? 23 posts, and not a single Airplane reference???

And not one grammar nazi complaining about the subject line? For shame.

Old 08-22-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.