Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

ARGH! My house was broken into! Lessons Learned.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-20-06, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out of town for a business meeting this week and my wife who is 9 months pregnant (due in 2 weeks) was home alone. Two hispanic men, looking kind of gangster appearance, knocked on our door and rung the doorbell. My wife looked through the peep hole but didn't know who they were so she decided to keep quiet. Then she heard one of the men tell the other to go around back. She quickly ran into our home office and locked the door. Just as she locked the door, one of the men took a shovel from my yard and put it through our back sliding glass door shattering it. My wife hid under her desk (not a lot of room for a pregnant woman) and called 911. These men tore apart our house and took what they wanted. They even tried to get into the room she was hiding in. About 25 minutes later the police showed up since they said they were busy in pursuit of a stolen car. I think that pisses me off more than anything that they think a stolen car is more important than someone trapped in their house with two thieves.

I'm just glad my wife made it through ok. Not sure what she could of done different. If she would of opened the door, they probably would forced themselves in. If she would of said something through the door, they might of looked harder for her in the house knowing she was home. Don't know what the right thing was to do. In the future we'll be sure to keep our alarm on even when we are home.

The other thing is, the insurance company wants proof that we owned everything that was stolen. My wife's coach purse, wallet and other articles like that were taken. Who keeps receipts for years for things that don't require warranty repair? I do keep most of my electronics receipts so I should be ok there. I was also told pictures help so in the future I plan on photographing everything of value and storing it on a cd.

What a nightmare this has all become! Everytime I look at the boarded up door and the carpet that had to be removed because of all the glass pushed into it, it is a reminder of the horrific experience my wife had. I'm just glad my wife is ok and I look forward to seeing our baby girl due in 2 weeks.
Old 08-20-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit. Glad she's ok. Did the cops catch the guys - I guess not since you didn't get your stuff back. That is just insane.
Old 08-20-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

25 minutes?!!

Damn. That is pathetic. Definitely keep complaining about that. Write a letter to the newspaper or mayor or whatever. Even if it's not the police's fault that they're not adequately staffed, some attention should be paid to the slow response and improvements should be made.

It was a good idea not to answer the door, but I wouldn't have kept quiet. Maybe something like turn on some lights by the windows and blast up the tv to scare them off.
Old 08-20-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, that's a crazy story. I'd most certainly contact the news media if complaints to the higher ups in the department get you no where.
Old 08-20-06, 12:50 AM

Nope, the police arrived too late so the men were gone.

The advice about turning on a tv or lights. Well, it was broad daylight when this happened, 11:00 am. My wife also left the tv on in the room she was hiding in and shut it off right before the guys tried the door.

I'm trying to get the actual length of the 911 call but no one seems to want to give it to me. I tried the phone company and the police station because I plan on writing a letter to the media and my councilman but want to have all my facts exact.
Old 08-20-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

25 minutes to a home-invasion is ridiculous. If you're that understaffed, call a neighboring agency for a backing unit.

By federal law, you can get the 911 tape. You have to fill out a specialized form but by the freedom of information act, they have to give it to you.

Sucks about your stuff, bu glad to hear your wife is ok.
Old 08-20-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

That reminds me that I ought to lock my doors. Or at least find my keys.

What my insurance agent told me to do was to take digital pictures of each room. That is enough to show what you own.
Old 08-20-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, scary stuff. Sorry you have to deal with this but glad she's alright.
Old 08-20-06, 01:34 AM

A pregant woman in the house with possible killers (anyone stuck in the house) and it takes 25 minutes? Wow.

Thats scarier than the break-in itself. That's unbelievable to me. It sort of pisses me off to be honest. Makes me question cases where people didn't make it out ok because of situations like this.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 08-20-06 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-20-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This reminds me to change my locks...tomorrow.

(edit: I just moved)
Old 08-20-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have a dog and a good backyard fence? One of the first things we did when we moved in the new house was tear down the old rotting fence and build up a new fence for the backyard to keep the dog in.

Definitely have to think about getting a gun. If not, give your wife a knife and tell her to stab the eyes and groin.
Old 08-20-06, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. The same thing happened to me back in February while I was out on business. Luckily, no one was home or hurt from it. They stole my electronics and all.

When I was dealing with the insurance company, they said they needed receipts for everything. However, after talking to the adjuster, I let him know that receipts are not kept for all things and I don't have pictures of everything as well. I had to go back and forth with them for a while. DO NOT GIVE IN until you have every penny of all the property that was damaged or stolen.
Old 08-20-06, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to hear this happened to you. 25 minute police response is outrageous. You should definitely complain about it.

I don't know if your wife keeping quiet was the right thing to do. I think the reason the the guys broke into your house was because they thought no one was home. You mentioned you had an alarm system. It doesn't have a panic button?
Old 08-20-06, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that's not something you want to hear while out of town. Good thing all you lost was possessions.
Old 08-20-06, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Well the most important thing is wifey and baby are all good, things can be replaced. That shit would have been scary as hell though, glad all is well.

I can't believe, 25 minutes, thats ridiculous.
Old 08-20-06, 04:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cyberock
Nope, the police arrived too late so the men were gone.
Id replace Men with Spawn of Satan. These are the trash of the planet that we all have to deal with. It is very unfortunate that things such as this have to go down, but im just glad that your wife and child are OK. Thats the #1 most important thing.

That reminds me to install a camera system soon with a pvr for it hidden inside the ceiling. That will benefit if something similar were to happen here. I have a story like that as well btw. I was home recovering from my gall bladder stone surgery, i was back from the hospital only 2 days earlier and still heavily medicated. A hispanic guy in a pickup truck pulls up to the house and im home alone. He comes and knocks on the door, and he looks like a total gangster. I go up to the door and tell him to get away or ill call the cops. He gets very upset, gets in his pickup, and drives up 50 feet, stops the car and sits there.

I figure hes either loading his gun or calling for backup, so i call the cops. Not 2 minutes later, cop shows up and questions the guy, then comes up to the door with him. Turns out he was delivering paperwork for a project i was working on and his company hand delivers all documents to ensure its not comprimised. The guy looked like he wanted to stab me while he handed it to me LOL, but i told the cop and him i was still heavily medicated and apologized.

Im sure that this wasnt the first time he was profiled in this way and he was very upset, but you have to think ahead and remember that a lot of people out there are out to hurt people and cause pain/suffering to others. Just be cautious.
Old 08-20-06, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gun. Yet another reason I'll eventually own one. I'd rather go to court than the morgue.

-p
Old 08-20-06, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so glad your wife made it ok. My heart goes out to you and her because I can't even imagine the fear she felt and the anger and other emotions you no doubt felt when you heard what happened.
Old 08-20-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Id replace Men with Spawn of Satan. These are the trash of the planet that we all have to deal with. It is very unfortunate that things such as this have to go down, but im just glad that your wife and child are OK. Thats the #1 most important thing.

That reminds me to install a camera system soon with a pvr for it hidden inside the ceiling. That will benefit if something similar were to happen here. I have a story like that as well btw. I was home recovering from my gall bladder stone surgery, i was back from the hospital only 2 days earlier and still heavily medicated. A hispanic guy in a pickup truck pulls up to the house and im home alone. He comes and knocks on the door, and he looks like a total gangster. I go up to the door and tell him to get away or ill call the cops. He gets very upset, gets in his pickup, and drives up 50 feet, stops the car and sits there.

I figure hes either loading his gun or calling for backup, so i call the cops. Not 2 minutes later, cop shows up and questions the guy, then comes up to the door with him. Turns out he was delivering paperwork for a project i was working on and his company hand delivers all documents to ensure its not comprimised. The guy looked like he wanted to stab me while he handed it to me LOL, but i told the cop and him i was still heavily medicated and apologized.

Im sure that this wasnt the first time he was profiled in this way and he was very upset, but you have to think ahead and remember that a lot of people out there are out to hurt people and cause pain/suffering to others. Just be cautious.
Yeah, that's kind of a crap deal for him, but you have to trust your instincts. There's a reason you were uneasy about opening the door and about him stopping a few yards away from your house. You shouldn't ignore that just to not look racist or something.
Old 08-20-06, 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear what your wife went through.

Do you not have an alarm in the house? A break in a window would have woke that sucker up and would wake up the neighbors (yes, I know it happened at 11am).
Old 08-20-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Scary stuff.
Old 08-20-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Im sure that this wasnt the first time he was profiled in this way and he was very upset
Maybe the dipshit shouldn't have dressed like a gangster when he was delivering important business documents, then. You did the right thing.

I would echo everyone else in saying that a 25-minute response time is unacceptable. I think the media needs to be informed to put pressure on the appropriate people to either increase staff or get some procedures changed.

On the other hand, these men are still out there, and might think everyone was gone from the house when they broke in. If they know that she has seen them, they might try to silence her. Probably not, but it's something to consider.

I imagine your wife will have trouble sleeping for awhile. A guy broke into my apartment in the middle of the night about a year ago (and entered my bedroom) and I had trouble sleeping for months afterward. I kept waking up in the middle of the night and looking at the door to make sure no one was there.
Old 08-20-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first thing any thieves would hear when knocking on my door is the sound of the dogs growling and snarling. I have only 2 dogs, but they sound like 5 dogs. I also have some BEWARE OF DOG signs on my fences so if they were to think about coming around the back they would have to consider that.

I also know people who have gotten some of those home security signs and stuck them on their front window by the door. Not a bad idea as well. These people are looking for the easiest target.
Old 08-20-06, 12:50 PM

I'm glad that your wife and baby are okay. Your wife is still alive so she did the right thing.

Thanks for the advice. I have a question for everyone:

I have a lot of DVD and CDs. I don't keep receipts of the things I buy.... so what's good enough for the insurance? Pictures of EVERYTHING in close up/detail? Would my DVD inventory on dvdprofiler be good enough?

thanks,
Old 08-20-06, 08:57 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

I bet they weren't legal either.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...864063?ie=UTF8

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.