Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your experiences with an e-collar for a dog?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-18-06, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my dog got an infection in her left front paw and the vet recommended an e-collar so she can't lick it or bite it anymore. We got it today, and, so far, she is absolutely hating it. It's 2:30 in the morning here, and she's lying by my chair trying to fall asleep without putting her head on the floor. It's been about 8 hours since we put it on her and she hasn't eaten or drank any water and she won't do anything when we let her outside. She's running into everything when she tries to walk around.

How long does it usually take a dog to get used to their collar. The vet recommended we leave it on for 2 weeks. I'm mostly worried about her eating and drinking. She's always been a light eater, and she will often let herself get very thirsty before drinking. Not to mention the fact that she spent all night just sitting and staring at us like she was going to kill us in our sleep if we don't take it off, heh.

Also, we tried bandaging it with a large bandage and surgical tape before we left for the store to get the collar and the bandage wouldn't stay on. Is there a special bandage or sleeve we could get to protect the paw without having to use the collar?
Old 08-18-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, no bandage that I know of. We will ne to wait until Mllefoo awakens.

When my dog wore one, it took a while to get used to, a day or so for most things. He would have problems with stairs and rubbing on walls and such, but could eat and drink fine. Just make sure your collar isn't too big and the dog can still get to the food bowl. Perhaps a special dinner that the dog really likes so she can learn how to eat.
Old 08-18-06, 02:16 PM

bumping

did you guys get any rest last night?
Old 08-18-06, 03:22 PM
dv8

Oh it's hell, pure hell. I had to have our dog wear one for about a month after stomach surgery and what a pain... It took him about 2 days to get past the issues you are having and then it was barrel down the house knocking everything over and about killing him self in the process. It sucks but you just have to suck it up and make him suffer through it. I would take it off to help him eat as long as I was there to keep him from licking the wounds
Old 08-18-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to use one on my previous dog, and it does take a day or two before they'll adapt, but they will. My dog learned how to angle the thing to still use his doggie door too. Just make sure the thing isn't too big - it seems that the vets put these huge things on that I would later trim down - keeping it large enough to prevent the dog from reaching any part of his own body with his mouth, but not a massive lamp shade that wouldn't fit through the front door.

Eventually, my dog started using the thing as a weapon (in my opinion) by ramming it into my bare legs or scraping it against the wall to get my attention. Good times.
Old 08-18-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate those collars. My dog was disciplined enough that I was able to take it off just fine. Sure, he licked twice but 2 warnings is all it took for him to leave it alone after that. Some dogs may lack that discipline.
Old 08-18-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We've had to use an e-collar on our dog twice - once post-spay and once when she scraped her leg and wouldn't stop licking the wound. Both times she just acted really depressed. She would just stand there with her head drooping and look miserable. With her first e-collar, she eventually managed to run into a wall head-first and split the collar right in half. She wasn't hurt at all, but we figured she deserved to have the collar removed at that point and just kept an eye on her to scold her if she tried to mess with the surgery site. And I agree with Bronkster - you can probably trim the e-collar down a bit and make the dog a little less miserable. Good luck!
Old 08-18-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most dogs and cats act "depressed" for a few days when they have on an ecollar. Don't take it off unless you are able to watch your dog *constantly* to keep her from bothering whatever ails her.

Plus it's fun to watch them run into things when they wear the collar.
Old 08-18-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Most dogs and cats act "depressed" for a few days when they have on an ecollar. Don't take it off unless you are able to watch your dog *constantly* to keep her from bothering whatever ails her.

Plus it's fun to watch them run into things when they wear the collar.
Good point. I should've mentioned that my wife was home during the day to keep an eye on our dog, so it wasn't really an issue for us.
Old 08-18-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by draven31
bumping

did you guys get any rest last night?

Yes, we did get some sleep.

I figured out how to get her to eat and drink. Both her food and water bowls are at the same level, so I put one of her favorite treats in her food bowl. That gave her enough incentive to try to get something out of the bowl. Once she figured out she could, she started drinking her water (thank goodness).

I agree about them intentionally running into bare legs with the collar, she has gotten pretty good at that.

It is kinda sad when she runs into things though. She tends to rub against the couch and the collar will kinda wedge itself. Instead of just backing up, she'll just stand there and, if she can see us, give us the dirtiest look possible.

She does seem to be adjusting though. The main issue now is that she still hasn't figured out that she can lie on her side to sleep, so she's pretty tired.

Here is a pic of her trying to sleep.

Last edited by collven; 08-18-06 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-18-06, 06:29 PM

oh poor thing... I should send her a get well soon doggie card. that she can eat.
Old 08-18-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-18-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The dog has Green Grapes as eyes.
Old 08-18-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dog equivalent to the red eye effect from the flash.