Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are Otters Racist?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Are you racist? Are Otters Racist?
I am very racist, most otters are not.
3.54%
I am very racist, like most otters.
12.39%
I am a little racist, most otters are not racists at all.
0%
I am a little racist, like most otters.
25.66%
I am a little racist, most otters are very racists.
6.19%
I am not racist, like most otters.
33.63%
I am not racist, most otters are racist.
11.50%
Only twinkoff is racist we are not.
7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Are Otters Racist?

Old 08-17-06, 12:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Otters Racist?

Recent posts made me wonder how is the racism thermometer in Otterville. So here is the poll that hopefully will help us find out. I thought to make it public but I was afraid that would compromise the accuracy of the poll.

I consider myself somewhat racist. As much as I would like to change the general views I have of certain people, I cannot help it to have a certain resentment and therefore I guess I could be consider a little racist. My guess is that so are most other otters but we usually get to hear those that are louder which for some reason seem a little more intolerant.

Letís see how this goes.
(I searched for a like thread but I was not able to find anything, hopefully this is not a boring repeat)
Old 08-17-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't consider the political forum "otter" territory.
Old 08-17-06, 12:31 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I don't consider the political forum "otter" territory.
I do.

BTW..."twinkoff?"

Rookie.
Old 08-17-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone is racist to some degree or another. I also agree with Thor. The political forum are the loons that escaped from the otter farm, not really representative of the entire otter family.
Old 08-17-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone that I disagree with is a racist.
Old 08-17-06, 12:34 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Everyone that I disagree with is a racist.
Just saying that makes you racist though. Man, I just blew my own mind.
Old 08-17-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just the black otters.
Old 08-17-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No poll? [edit-sorry, there was none when I started typing this]

In my opinion, there's a difference between 'racist' and 'stereotyping' and 'prejudiced'. Stereotyping can be a useful first barometer; most stereotypes are at least somewhat based in truth. Of course, it's important to be able to recognize when individuals do not fit the stereotype, and either expand it or exclude that person from it.

Prejudiced? Every one is. Everyone has their prejudices, that is, the things/people they prefer. Again, some of that is based in stereotyping and generalizations, ideally on personal experience. If the last 10 times I interacted with *this type of person*, and 9 out of 10 times I had a positive or negative experience, of course that will color my expectation of future experiences. And again, while it's not a crime to have a preference, [after all, isn't "do you prefer blondes" a prejudice?], it's important to be open enough to deal with exceptions to those stereotypes/prejudices.
We rely on these stereotypes and prejudices in our daily dealings with people, and they can change/evolve through experiences. By viewing people through a prism of stereotypes/prejudices, we have a 'template' we can use to base our initial interaction with them on, and this template continually adapts. Stereotypes and prejudices can be both positive and negative.

Racism, however, is a different beast. To me, being 'racist' means viewing one entire race of people as inferior, solely because of their race. And being racist is much harder to change, whereas stereotypes and prejudices can be changed with experiences. Racism is definitely a negative, and doesn't serve to help our interactions with people, rather, it hinders them drastically.

I don't believe I am racist, however, I do admit to using stereotypes and prejudices.

I don't think the majority of otters are racist either.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 08-17-06 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
Everyone is racist to some degree or another. I also agree with Thor. The political forum are the loons that escaped from the otter farm, not really representative of the entire otter family.
I thought if we started outside it would end up in here, but I guess the mods can change it if they think it is appropiate. It is perfectly fine with me.

Originally Posted by VinVega
I do.

BTW..."twinkoff?"

Rookie.
To be president carries certain risks

(I just realize the misspelling I do not know how the goddam 'n' got in there )

Originally Posted by dtcarson
----
Well spoken
Old 08-17-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nigel Powers
There are two things I cannot stand: People intollerant of other cultures & the Dutch.
Old 08-17-06, 12:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

i don't like this thread idea at all. it will be nothing but trouble.
Old 08-17-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't consider myself racist and don't think the majority of people here are either. That's not to say I don't hold some discriminatory or prejudiced viewpoints, because I do, as I think most people do. For instance, if I come across someone wearing lots of bling, with jeans sagging around their knees and a nonexistent understanding of grammar, I typically have a very low opinion of the person. That opinion, though, is the same whether they're black, white, latino, oriental or any other ethnicity. I also tend to be biased against Muslims, but again, that has nothing to do with race and is based solely on a dislike of their religion as I understand it. In the same vein, I usually dislike Christians who try to force their beliefs on others. None of these things have anything to do with race though.
Old 08-17-06, 12:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
i don't like this thread idea at all. it will be nothing but trouble.
Yeah, we're taking bets in the Mod Forum on which number post will make this thread go bad permanently.
Old 08-17-06, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by X
Yeah, we're taking bets in the Mod Forum on which number post will make this thread go bad permanently.

14?
Old 08-17-06, 12:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharoh
14?
Close.

(Now I can delete this post if I'm one under)
Old 08-17-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I honestly don't have any problem with other races.

Except, the Jews of course. And the Blacks. Hispanics. Obviously Puerto Ricans.
Old 08-17-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
No poll? [edit-sorry, there was none when I started typing this]

In my opinion, there's a difference between 'racist' and 'stereotyping' and 'prejudiced'. Stereotyping can be a useful first barometer; most stereotypes are at least somewhat based in truth. Of course, it's important to be able to recognize when individuals do not fit the stereotype, and either expand it or exclude that person from it.

Prejudiced? Every one is. Everyone has their prejudices, that is, the things/people they prefer. Again, some of that is based in stereotyping and generalizations, ideally on personal experience. If the last 10 times I interacted with *this type of person*, and 9 out of 10 times I had a positive or negative experience, of course that will color my expectation of future experiences. And again, while it's not a crime to have a preference, [after all, isn't "do you prefer blondes" a prejudice?], it's important to be open enough to deal with exceptions to those stereotypes/prejudices.
We rely on these stereotypes and prejudices in our daily dealings with people, and they can change/evolve through experiences. By viewing people through a prism of stereotypes/prejudices, we have a 'template' we can use to base our initial interaction with them on, and this template continually adapts. Stereotypes and prejudices can be both positive and negative.

Racism, however, is a different beast. To me, being 'racist' means viewing one entire race of people as inferior, solely because of their race. And being racist is much harder to change, whereas stereotypes and prejudices can be changed with experiences. Racism is definitely a negative, and doesn't serve to help our interactions with people, rather, it hinders them drastically.

I don't believe I am racist, however, I do admit to using stereotypes and prejudices.

I don't think the majority of otters are racist either.
I agree with this. I think many people see Prejudice and Stereotyping as a form of racism. For example, the official definition (according to my dictionary) is "Discrimination or prejudice based on race." That's why I said I feel everyone is racist to some degree.
Old 08-17-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there's a mod forum? weird.

I think it's important to keep in mind that we're only about 50 years away from the civil rights movement. Things take time to work themselves out. Hispanics are the new blacks.
Old 08-17-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it depends on whether you take the broad definition of the word or the more narrow definition.

How's that for a definitive answer?
Old 08-17-06, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I honestly don't have any problem with other races.

Except, the Jews of course. And the Blacks. Hispanics. Obviously Puerto Ricans.
At least you are honest and consistent with previous posts.
Old 08-17-06, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by elperdido
At least you are honest and consistent with previous posts.

Old 08-17-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Hispanics are the new blacks.
I thought gays were the new blacks?

I must admit that I slept through much of Black History Month this year so I certainly could have missed the announcement.
Old 08-17-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, who had post #20 in the mod pool?
Old 08-17-06, 01:10 PM

There have been some "obviously" racist Otters in the past, but most of them have come and gone. Now we're just left with removed by mod and kvrdave.
Old 08-17-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I thought gays were the new blacks?

I must admit that I slept through much of Black History Month this year so I certainly could have missed the announcement.

gay hispanics? I was just rambling and remembered reading an article in Vice Magazine with that title.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.