Question about Vertigo, dizzyness

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-06, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

About 5 weeks ago I woke up with a severe hangover from a long day and night of drinking at a summer party.....With it was a lot of dizzyness, and vomiting.........Anyway after I shook the rest of the hangover and the dizzy spells were still frequent and rather strong (whole room spinning and lasting several seconds), I went to the ER. Doctor took one look at me, did a few quick tests and said I had positional Vertigo (head tipped back or lying down quickly). I had blood tests that looked normal at the same time. He gave me a script for some motion sickness medicine so I wouldnt throw up and said it should go away "in a few weeks"........................After 2 or 3 weeks I thought it was gone but its stayed on, only not near as severe as initially.

Basically, when I tip my head way back and hold it there for a few long seconds, or lay down quickly at night, i might get a slight dizzy spell (probably about 2/3 of the time I do those things), lasting about 2 or 3 seconds at most..............My question is, is there anything to worry about here, or am I still battling the vertigo? I have no headaches and it only occurs in those positions, I am otherwise healthy and active.

Thanks.

Last edited by MACD23; 08-16-06 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check your blood pressure if it's low or high it can cause it
Old 08-16-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Could also have to do with inner ear or tinnitus. An MRI and Cat-Scan will rule out some of the worst ideas. I had an MRI when I was having some dizzy spells. Now I am much better, and personally I think mine was due to stress.
Old 08-16-06, 10:03 PM
Banned

I also had blood pressure tested and it was very heathy level..........I am gonna wait a few more weeks and then see my PCP if it still persists...Its extremely minor at this point, where the first few days I had it was very annoying and much more severe dizzy spells....The fact that is positional and only occurs from time to time with no other pain or symptoms makes me feel better.
Old 08-16-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You probably have one of those nasty little parasites living in your brain. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. For now.
Old 08-17-06, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MACD23
Hi All,

About 5 weeks ago I woke up with a severe hangover from a long day and night of drinking at a summer party.....With it was a lot of dizzyness, and vomiting.........Anyway after I shook the rest of the hangover and the dizzy spells were still frequent and rather strong (whole room spinning and lasting several seconds), I went to the ER. Doctor took one look at me, did a few quick tests and said I had positional Vertigo (head tipped back or lying down quickly). I had blood tests that looked normal at the same time. He gave me a script for some motion sickness medicine so I wouldnt throw up and said it should go away "in a few weeks"........................After 2 or 3 weeks I thought it was gone but its stayed on, only not near as severe as initially.

Basically, when I tip my head way back and hold it there for a few long seconds, or lay down quickly at night, i might get a slight dizzy spell (probably about 2/3 of the time I do those things), lasting about 2 or 3 seconds at most..............My question is, is there anything to worry about here, or am I still battling the vertigo? I have no headaches and it only occurs in those positions, I am otherwise healthy and active.

Thanks.
Sounds like BPPV to me. Have your MD refer you to an audiologist for an ENG. If BPPV diagnosis in confirmed, it is easily treated by an audiologist or physical therapist.
Old 08-17-06, 12:07 PM

by any chance do you drink a lot of diet sodas or anything with aspartame?
Old 08-17-06, 12:16 PM

Also consider Positional Alcohol Nystagmus (PAN) or more specifically PAN II.

http://www.environmentaldiseases.com...-toxicity.html

Vestibular - The affects of alcohol on the vestibular system are demonstrated in measurements which evaluate the ocular motor control. One of these is the eye movements called nystagmus (jerkiness). One of the tests is measuring the eye movements when the head is placed in a sideways position, and it is called Positional Alcohol Nystagmus (PAN). Positional Alcohol Nystagmus I (PAN I) is measurements of eye movements to the right side when the right side of the head is down, then to the left when the left side of the head is down. This occurs during peak BACs beginning at around 40 mg/100 ml (10). Positional Alcohol Nystagmus II (PAN II) typically is observed between 5-10 hours after drinking, and it is characterized by nystagmus in the opposite direction, compared to Positional Alcohol Nystagmus I (11). Both types of PAN are produced by the toxic effects of alcohol on the vestibular system. The literature has shown that the faster the rate of drinking, the faster PAN I appears (12). Another type of nystagmus is Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN). This is a nystagmus which is jerkiness in eye movements as the gaze is directed to the side when the head is in the upright position. Typically HGN is observed when the blood alcohol contents reach 80 mg/100 ml (13). The Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus appears to be pharmacologically specific to alcohol and therefore should be used to differentiate from the toxic effects of other mind altering drugs and chemicals. (14) Several studies have shown that alcohol leads to an increase in the sway, appearing in drinkers at BACs of 30-50 mg/100 ml (15,16,17,18) Postural control is sensitive, but other factors not related to alcohol must be taken into account such as physical difficulties with walking, pain in the joints or the ankles, physical deformation of the feet and effects of prescription medications.
Old 08-17-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mllefoo
You probably have one of those nasty little parasites living in your brain. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. For now.
The destruction of Ceti Alpha VI causes another problem.
Old 08-17-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by montag
Sounds like BPPV to me. Have your MD refer you to an audiologist for an ENG. If BPPV diagnosis in confirmed, it is easily treated by an audiologist or physical therapist.
I had BPPV before. Man that sucked ass. And to top it off, I was on crutches with a broken leg...

If this is indeed what you have, mine was cured by something called the Eppley Maneuver. The website linked above should have lots of good info.