Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Slain Tenn. pastor's wife freed on bail

Old 08-16-06, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slain Tenn. pastor's wife freed on bail

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060816/...s/pastor_slain

By WOODY BAIRD, Associated Press Writer
Wed Aug 16, 8:27 AM ET

SELMER, Tenn. - A minister's wife accused of shooting her husband to death after an argument over money was released from jail Tuesday on $750,000 bail.

Mary Winkler, 32, is charged with killing Matthew Winkler on March 22 at their church parsonage in Selmer, about 80 miles east of Memphis.

She was arrested the following day in Alabama, where she had taken the couple's three young daughters, and has been behind bars on murder charges since then.

Her trial is scheduled for October.

Investigators said Winkler told them she shot her husband after a night of arguing over finances and other problems. The couple had been fallen victim to a scam in which victims are told that a sweepstakes prize or other riches are waiting for them if they send in money to cover the processing expenses, her lawyers have said.

Defense attorney Leslie Ballin refused to talk about a motive except to say that his client told investigators she had been "emotionally abused and verbally abused."

No one has said how much money the Winklers might have lost, or what role the financial strain might have played in the shooting.

Since 'search' has been disabled, I will leave it up to the mods to merge this with the original thread.

Chris
Old 08-16-06, 02:32 PM
Suspended

RUN!! Mary, run for you life and never return!!
Old 08-16-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My dad is a minister. He's been retired for years, but the main difference I saw in this case is that if my mother had killed anyone, she'd have killed her KIDS and run off with her husband, not the other way around.
Old 08-16-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana
My dad is a minister. He's been retired for years, but the main difference I saw in this case is that if my mother had killed anyone, she'd have killed her KIDS and run off with her husband, not the other way around.
you are so funny i needed a laugh, it has been a day and half around here thank you.