Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Milking Negreanu on WSOP coverage

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-06, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else find it rediculous that they stretched that tunica Tourn into four episodes? One reason Negreanu. They showed like 4 circuit events and maybe 2 bracelet events and now the main event coverage starts next week. Negreanu is the new poster boy for poker, so ESPN is riding that horse. By the way I am a big negreanu fan, but i would have liked to see a couple more bracelet events. Guess they didnt have enough pros showing up at the final tables.

My recent place that I have played: Bodog and Borgata, AC
Old 08-16-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe they determine which events they are going to show before they take place. Negreanu is the perfect poster boy for poker. He is young, smart, well spoken, a great player, and looks/acts kind of like a puss so it gets frat boys to think, "Oh I could beat that pussy and he's a champion?! I'm goin' to the 'sino."
Old 08-16-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Negreanu is a nice change of pace from the weak tight nitty old men, the greasy degenerate gamblers, and the collar-up "hey bro" frat boys you constantly see at the tables.
Old 08-16-06, 01:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

there are so many holdem events, with low buyins, i'm not sure why anyone would want to see those over and over again versus one with one where a pro actually wins. if they cut out a good one like HORSE then i'd be pissed. but let's face it, most of these bracelets are meaningless at this point.
Old 08-16-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The coverage is definately a bit heavy with him, but I like the guy. Phil H. gets OOOOLD quickly. I like the old-timers, but i'm not sure how attractive they are to the 'suits' who want to bring more people in.

-p
Old 08-16-06, 03:25 PM

They haven't shown any bracelet events yet. They are showing the main event first this year, then bracelet events after.
Old 08-16-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I like watching most any poker. Doesn't need to be a big event. Doesn't need to have pros. And I love watching DN, so it is all good for me. Just start showing them in HD.
Old 08-16-06, 03:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

let's face it, the WSOP coverage is a huge soap opera and not about the play.
Old 08-17-06, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
let's face it, the WSOP coverage is a huge soap opera and not about the play.

Your right and it is becoming predicable because of the editing. You can tell what the outcome of most hands are going to be based on the participant's chip counts and how close the show is to being over.

They cut down 2-3 hours of play into 40 minutes.

And this time must have been easy to edit. Just show every time negreanu has a premium hand or suited connectors.
Old 08-17-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sticky Bomb
Try 12-16.
Old 08-17-06, 11:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Sticky Bomb
Your right and it is becoming predicable because of the editing. You can tell what the outcome of most hands are going to be based on the participant's chip counts and how close the show is to being over.

And this time must have been easy to edit. Just show every time negreanu has a premium hand or suited connectors.

the first what, 5 or 6 ME show is basically an all-in recap, and little alusions to who will be in it later. i think once it gets down to the final 2 tables or so, it's not horrible.
Old 08-17-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the WSOP coverage myself but I like all poker shows (I even DVR Poker Superstars). My favorites at the moment are the PPT and High Stakes Poker.
Old 08-17-06, 12:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

about Danny -- i'm glad to see he's back on his game. he seemed like he was going thru a slump for a while.

i do wish he'd quit whoring himself so much, but i guess if there's money to be had...
Old 08-17-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Trust me, you really don't want to watch the 13 hours of final table coverage. 200+ hands and about 80% of them never saw a flop. There were very few hands shown down, probably no more than 10.
Old 08-17-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
My favorites at the moment are the PPT
You must be kidding here. What's to like about Mark Seif reminding you every two minutes that each one of these players "WOULD KILL TO BE THE VERY FIRST PPT CHAMPION!".

High Stakes Poker is by far and away the best poker broadcast on TV now, mostly because Gabe Kaplan is an advanced player himself and will analyze what each player is thinking during each hand.
Old 08-17-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
You must be kidding here. What's to like about Mark Seif reminding you every two minutes that each one of these players "WOULD KILL TO BE THE VERY FIRST PPT CHAMPION!".

High Stakes Poker is by far and away the best poker broadcast on TV now, mostly because Gabe Kaplan is an advanced player himself and will analyze what each player is thinking during each hand.
I stopped paying attention to the commentary about 6 months after I started playing poker. Most of the commentators suck. Kaplan is ok but I usually don't pay attention to what he is saying either.
Old 08-17-06, 05:54 PM

Could someone tell me what happened to the WPT on the travel channel? I tuned into it the other night and they had some other tour on with some guys doing commentary that were horrible. Did they just change the name and hosts are did it move to another network?
Old 08-17-06, 06:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

hm well the old guys were douche bags anyway. no big loss right.
Old 08-17-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenage
Could someone tell me what happened to the WPT on the travel channel? I tuned into it the other night and they had some other tour on with some guys doing commentary that were horrible. Did they just change the name and hosts are did it move to another network?
WPT Season 4 is over. WPT Season 5 is currently being played and will start airing on TV in Spring 2007.

However, there is one episode left for Season 4 - The WPT Battle of Champions that will air for the first time this coming Saturday (8:00 ET).

Until Springtime, though, the only new episodes will be PPT.
Old 08-17-06, 07:11 PM

Oh. That's what I kind of thought. Thanks for the info El Scorcho. Do they let anyone on the tour if you can pay the entry fee or do you have to qualify somehow? Are they always $1,000 buy ins?
Old 08-17-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure the major events of each stop are all $10,000 buyins open to anyone. Check the world poker tour site for more info.
Old 08-18-06, 06:34 PM

Thanks El Scorcho. Do the "star" players get a break in entering tourneys since it will look good for them if they have a stacked field of well known pros?
Old 08-18-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't think so, but I can't be too sure on who is getting sponsored and who isn't. Having WPT pay a player's way just to get him into the tournament would probably send everyone else into mass upheaval though, so I am pretty sure this doesn't happen.

This doesn't mean someone like FullTilt isn't paying Phil Ivey's $10k entry fees though.

Many of the name pros are so filthy rich or have such a large bankroll that $10k to them is like $5 to us.