Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Nutrisystem food program...anyone do this?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-14-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Dan Marino did, so it is cool to do. Actually, rather than looking to necessarily lose weight, it looked like a way that might actually get me to eat breakfast, etc. I suck for my eating routine and something like this might give me a more balanced diet. Is the food decent?
Old 08-14-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I saw Dan Marino did, so it is cool to do.
Well that explains the warning found on most nutrisystem products:

The use of this product may impair your ability to win a Super Bowl.
Old 08-14-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NutriSystem is expensive. It'd be cheaper to just buy your groceries at the grocery store and eat the right things in the right amounts.
Old 08-14-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Of course it would. But I have not shown the ability to do so. Besides, $300 a month for food (assuming you stick to it), isn't a lot of money compared to what I normally spend.
Old 08-14-06, 04:25 PM

My two cents: years ago my mother tried this program. As I recall, the food was actually pretty good (especially compared to the weight watchers crap).
Old 08-14-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

i dont think it would work very well for a family person.. because you will be sitting in a house full of groceries, but trying to limit yourself to the specific food they sent you..

for a single person looking to lose weight.. $300 a month for groceries isnt bad, and it definitly could work.. If the person had the will power to avoid other foods (mainly fast foods and sodas).. and exercise.
Old 08-14-06, 04:34 PM

I'm sure we all have the will power to avoid exercise.
Old 08-14-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course it would. But I have not shown the ability to do so. Besides, $300 a month for food (assuming you stick to it), isn't a lot of money compared to what I normally spend.
If you examine the program carefully, the Nutrisystem food only provides you with a few hundred calories per day. You're supposed to supplement the remainder with fresh food that YOU prepare - thereby eliminating the convenience factor and making it pretty much worthless, IMO.

To get a full meal plan, you're talking something like Seattle Sutton (here in the Midwest) or Balanced For Life, which is way more than $300 a month.
Old 08-14-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
If you examine the program carefully, the Nutrisystem food only provides you with a few hundred calories per day. You're supposed to supplement the remainder with fresh food that YOU prepare - thereby eliminating the convenience factor and making it pretty much worthless, IMO.
Which is what I meant to say and didn't. Thank you Numa.

The other thing is that eating all those little "toy food" trays is boring with a capital B.
Old 08-14-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid

To get a full meal plan, you're talking something like Seattle Sutton (here in the Midwest) or Balanced For Life, which is way more than $300 a month.
Stupid. If I wanted to prepare fresh food myself, I wouldn't need them.
Old 08-14-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did it about 10 years ago and I lost weight and the food did not taste that bad, and it is your food for the entire day. It was easy and I did not have to wory about what was at home to eat.
Old 08-14-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As stated above, if you are looking for convenience, Nutrisystem sucks because even if you buy the meals, you STILL have to cook. Instead, you could use a diet delivery service. A girl at work used a Zone service where she had her meals for the day delivered to her door each morning in convenient packages placed in thermos bags - the food was delicious (according to her) and she did lose the weight pretty easily (around 25 pounds in 4 months or so).

Here's a link to a similar service: http://www.inthezonedelivery.com/
Old 08-14-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I would love something like that, but nowhere will deliver to me.

$40 a day. Wow.
Old 08-14-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you live in hicktown, you could hire your own hick as your personal chef for what, say $20 a day? Or whatever the equivalent is in meth.

Of course everything would come with fatback, but that's a different problem.
Old 08-14-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Or whatever the equivalent is in meth.
Yeah post an ad in the paper.

WANTED - COOK.

They'll be beating down your door!
Old 08-15-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is another option. I had a friend do it and she really enjoyed the food. It's $115 a week for 3 meals a day, but if you live near a pick up location, you'll get the food fresh, not frozen.

http://www.diettogo.com/
Old 08-15-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if you are a picky eater there isn't alot for you there, and you'll get sick of the foods fast. You also have to take into account that they give you 4 squares, but part of the program involves buying milk, yogurt, salad, vegetables, fruits which does add up. I was on the program for 5 months and lost weight but the food started to get really repetative and I quit. I still kept the weight off, but you are better off buying your own food, it would be cheaper.

Also since they have gotten so huge recently, food has been missing out of my moms order, its been taking forever to get and the quality of the food has gone down.

just my two cents.
Old 02-21-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would love something like that, but nowhere will deliver to me.

$40 a day. Wow.

Old 02-21-07, 05:04 PM
Cool New Member

Mmmmmmm, Rachael Ray. I'd like to eat...

Is this forum PG13?
Old 02-21-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wife and I are doing this now. I dropped 15 in about three weeks. It's leveled off now, but I would probably be doing better if I exercised.

Now to the food - it's very hit and miss. We basically have about 8 meals that we alternate - burgers, hot dogs, pizza, tacos, chili, etc. A good deal of the food is almost inedible.

Yes, you do need to supplement, but honestly, it's not tough. Buy some frozen veggies, fruits, yogurts, boil some eggs, and you just need to make a salad for lunch. Really doesn't add too much time, but some money. We are spending about $800 all told for food for both per month.

We are considering another system, Jenny Craig or something else. Too much hit and miss with the food.
Old 02-21-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need something like this, a complete meal delivery service, but one that caters to a healthy diet

http://www.ediets.com/start2.cfm?n_f...FQvXgAodQBTNgA

We did something similar that is local to our area called Just Dish. It is not really 'healthy' but you go to the place, prep all your meals and put them into plastic bags, bring them home and freeze them. Cook and eat. Great time saver and a good way to try new foods/recipes the menu cycles every month so you always get new foods to try. It consumes more time to do it yourself instead of the delivery option, but its like a field trip with science experiements you eat
Old 02-22-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wife and I are doing this now. I dropped 15 in about three weeks. It's leveled off now, but I would probably be doing better if I exercised.

Now to the food - it's very hit and miss. We basically have about 8 meals that we alternate - burgers, hot dogs, pizza, tacos, chili, etc. A good deal of the food is almost inedible.

Yes, you do need to supplement, but honestly, it's not tough. Buy some frozen veggies, fruits, yogurts, boil some eggs, and you just need to make a salad for lunch. Really doesn't add too much time, but some money. We are spending about $800 all told for food for both per month.

We are considering another system, Jenny Craig or something else. Too much hit and miss with the food.
$800 per month?

is this magic food?
Old 02-22-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
$800 per month?

is this magic food?
No kidding - that's over four dollars per meal!
Old 02-22-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried it and didn't like it. First off, I'm a vegetarian and signed up for the "vegetarian" plan. Several of the items they sent me had gelatin. I wanted to return the whole thing but they wouldn't let me. They said they'd just ship replacement items.

Second, unlike the commercials lead you to believe (and you probably already know this) it's not everything you need to eat. You still need to supplement their meals with your own fruits and veggies. That means added expense, less convenience, and more opportunity to fail.
Old 02-22-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

all of these nutrisystem, jenny craig or whatever are nothing more than glorified TV dinners

and there is huge Nutrisystem thread on the Investor Business Daily forums going back to 2003. too bad I didn't know about the stock then, but a lot of people there made a fortune off you suckers. the stock went from like $5 in 2003 to a peak of like $80

Last edited by al_bundy; 02-22-07 at 09:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.