Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

One & Only Snobby & Elitist Otter Photo Critique & Comments Thread (no kid/pet shots)

Other Talk "Otterville"

One & Only Snobby & Elitist Otter Photo Critique & Comments Thread (no kid/pet shots)

Old 08-12-06, 03:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-12-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[ELITIST]It doesn't work for me. There is no punch to it -- from the colours to the composition. The "lines" created by the bridge and the rail lead me to a very uninteresting building, which is near invisible to the rest of the unremarkable background. And, the sky is blown.[/ELITIST]

The one saving grace is that the photo means something to you -- more than the opinion of an anonymous elitist (a.k.a. an asshole).

Here is one of mine up for execution.

Shinsaibashi in Osaka, Japan near the famous crab restaurant (pictured). I should've stepped one over to include the other eye. I took it with the 350D + Tamrom 17-35 in RAW. I developed with RawShooter Essentials and processed with an unsharp mask in PS. Please be brutal.

Last edited by quietsoul; 08-12-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-12-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by quietsoul
[ELITIST]It doesn't work for me. There is no punch to it -- from the colours to the composition. The "lines" created by the bridge and the rail lead me to a very uninteresting building, which is near invisible to the rest of the unremarkable background. And, the sky is blown.[/ELITIST]

The one saving grace is that the photo means something to you -- more than the opinion of an anonymous elitist.
It's OR and it's the coast; the sky is always that color.
Old 08-12-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
It's OR and it's the coast; the sky is always that color.
I know. I was being an ass. My Seattle and Vancouver photos are all blown, too.
Old 08-12-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. I was being an ass. My Seattle and Vancouver photos are all blown, too.
Nah, you were being an ass at all. I do appreciate your comments, though.
Old 08-12-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts
Nah, you were being an ass at all. I do appreciate your comments, though.
Seriously? A good rule of thumb is to view your picture through your eyelashes or with your eyes unfocused. You'll see that the top photo has a good strong diagonal bridge, but the bottom photo only has some black rocks way down at the bottom. Everything else is gray sky, gray water, or gray spray.

I suspect that part of your problem is that you live in Seattle, and every day has rotten light.

This is the only photograph of mine that I can find that's already online. It's from the VLA by Soccoro, New Mexico. This image is too compressed, but it loads fast.

Old 08-12-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I gave the only critique in the other thread I'll repost it here.

So far your pix are some of the most interesting posted. Maybe you already posted some in this thread that I missed. I was looking at pix more than who posted them.

You have a decent eye for composition and not always shooting from the standard eye level.

Originally Posted by fmian
You need to open up the arperture (make the arpeture value or f-number as small as possible) and do a spot focus on the ship.

I found some more that I had backed up.

Here's another pet one from my parents front yard.

Low angle helps this a bit.

A close up of my daughter. Very small arperture value (f2.2) here so even her mouth is out of focus and attention is drawn to her eyes. Thankfully there were no boogers up her nose this time.

Nice eyes, but I found the mouth to be distracting. How about a dramatic crop to emphasize the eyes even more?

Took this one in an alley when I was staying in Manchester UK. 30 second shutter to let in as much light as possible and f8 so you can see the path in the foreground and the fence/car in the back in pretty good focus. The alley light was let in for long enough to swamp the entire shot and cause that awesome star effect. Not the most interesting of subject matters but trust me. That place looks a lot worse during the day.

I like night shots and this one is interesting. Lots of motion within the composition. I would crop a little bit of the dark wall on the right and some of the foreground as well. My favorite shot posted in this thread so far.

Another shot from the UK. A house across the street from my brother in law. Not all that exciting but I thought it was a nicely framed shot. Also found it interesting how the fence and the ground make it seem as if the photo wasn't taken strait but when you look at the roof you realise that it was. And a sky like that in the UK is a pretty rare thing too.

It's wide angle distortion and shooting a bit from the side of the house that causes the odd angle.

A sillouette of some leafless trees on the edge of a park in the UK. Once again a pretty crappy neighbourhood, and if I had of moved the camera down a bit you might have seen a huge hole in the fence and a whole pile of garbage. The best sillouettes are usually made by having the main source of light infront of you, and adjusting the exposure so that the blacks come out as solid blacks. Most good cameras in automatic mode will adjust the exposure so that you can still make out detail in the darker bits. You want to avoid this for a sillouette though.

Good framing with minimal foreground.

Feel free to nit pick about these photos. I'm still learning all this stuff and the more I can hear from other people the better.

then came this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmian
I posted the Grand Canyon panorama shot and the Vegas night shot of the street.

Aha.

Well the Grand Canyon was okay and scenic and all but there was nothing that really made it stand out as anything different. Something in the foreground might be a way to do that but I'm not sure what was around that location. That would give it some depth.

The Vegas shot was a nice try but I was more interested in seeing what was down the street as the tower, etc. looked more interesting than the street and stuff on the foreground sides. So I wasn't thrilled with where you took the picture from but I'm guessing one reason you chose that location was the higher vantage point.

then fmiam posted this:

Hopefully this will make up for your lack of interest in those 2 Buford.
Linked cause it's kind of an adult shot.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...C03841Large.jpg

And I responded:

That's a nicely composed image. Although you broke the rule of the thirds and went for the obvious center-weighted subject placement, it still manages to work. The perfect example of rules were made to be broken.

The use of the handrails creates an imagined arrow to point to the main thrust of the image, thus leaving little doubt as to your intent with this visual effort. Since most people view left to right, the slight tilt of the camera positions the stair tops so as to reel the viewer back to the left for one more succinct examination of the reality captured.

The subject's hand on the rail gives a feeling that she's not above a hands-on approach to satisfying her own needs, even as her friend's curled fingers placement and gaze toward her illustrates that she is willing to help with her orgiastic cause.

And finally, the textured denim stands out in a sea of solid cotton for an extra oomph of focus, while her pink cotton shirt hints at what is not on display. The subdued side lighting is a plus in this instance and no fill-flash is needed.

What could improve and solidify the imagery? Well I really wish you had the eyes on the guy to the right-this would have created a nice triangle of "dude" judges giving you a guilty verdict for your enterprising ways, thus sealing the verboten viewpoint this image conveys.

And a lower angle might have shown a glimpse of the ass cheeks.

Now wasn't there some pix Kittydreamer wanted critiqued? What page were they on?

then fmiam said this:

Buford. I don't know what to say, except that I wasn't even looking at the camera when I took that photo and severeal others in that series. Camera was at waist level with a strap around my neck, and I was following her up the stairs. You started my day with a laugh though. Thanks

and I responded:

fmian-please don't sell yourself short. I only pointed out the obvious thoughts and ideas you were bringing to the image. It just comes natural to you. You can't really believe that was luck and happenstance.

I think that the upskirt shot is your true talent and you should perfect the craft and post more images. Make Mom proud!

BTW, you mention a series. I think you should harvest these and consider them for inclusion in a contest with a "World Understanding" award.

Now we're up to speed. BTW, if you're excluding kids and pets should sunsets be next?
Old 08-12-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig

Your photos didn't show up.
Old 08-12-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
^ that I like.
Why?

Positive critique is still critique!
Old 08-12-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the Atlanta Aquaruim...

Old 08-12-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just taken with a digital macro setting on the elph.

Shasta. The camera decided it didn't want to focus on the scenery.

Cobra Lily.

A Cave shot taken in total darkness.

Macro study.

Last edited by mllefoo; 08-12-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-12-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I took this with my old digital camera. I like the angle of it. What do you all think?
Removed image at Kittydreamer's request

It needs a visual point of interest in the foreground. Maybe your kid? But then you couldn't post it in this thread.

I find the fence in the front distracting since your focus is the bridge. That might contradict what I first said but it's true.

I just wonder what your point was with the photo. The bridge? The fence? The houses on the side? The rocks and the water? The juxtaposition/contrast between some of the above?

Last edited by VinVega; 08-13-06 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-12-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A study in tolerance

You can see my reflection if you look hard enough.
Old 08-12-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry about all the animals, but they do tend to be photogenic.
Old 08-12-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Just taken with a digital macro setting on the elph.

Nothing makes this stand out.

Shasta. The camera decided it didn't want to focus on the scenery.

Not too bad w/the framing technique.

Cobra Lily.

Your URL isn't all there.

A Cave shot taken in total darkness.

Interesting.

Macro study.

I like the curve and textures. Kudos.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is one of mine up for execution.

Shinsaibashi in Osaka, Japan near the famous crab restaurant (pictured). I should've stepped one over to include the other eye. I took it with the 350D + Tamrom 17-35 in RAW. I developed with RawShooter Essentials and processed with an unsharp mask in PS. Please be brutal.

I feel you needed to zoom in more and simplify the image. I like the sign and the crab and think a tight shot of the two would have been much more interesting. The windows and other parts are merely distracting.

Since I wasn't there I can't say, but you may have had more luck doing that by moving to a slightly different spot.
Old 08-12-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
This is the only photograph of mine that I can find that's already online. It's from the VLA by Soccoro, New Mexico. This image is too compressed, but it loads fast.

I would have moved much closer and only shown part of the dish and more sky/clouds. Make it more graphic and less informational.
Old 08-12-06, 08:53 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks like someone thinks he's a hot shot photographer.
Old 08-12-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just trying to live up to the thread title.

We all know zuffy is the expert!
Old 08-12-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I would have moved much closer and only shown part of the dish and more sky/clouds. Make it more graphic and less informational.
Like this one from Mrs Danger?

Old 08-12-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just trying to live up to the thread title.

We all know zuffy is the expert!
How did I get involve in this? I never claim to be an expert.
Old 08-12-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy
How did I get involve in this? I never claim to be an expert.

But you know it said so in the other thread!
Old 08-12-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Like this one from Mrs Danger?

Not the sordid underbelly. I want the pistol of the flower and CLOUDS!
Old 08-12-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not the sordid underbelly. I want the pistol of the flower and CLOUDS!
Damn Buford, you must live in one tough neighborhood. Where I live, flowers have pistils
Old 08-12-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You are correct. In my neighborhood they shoot first and ask questions later.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.