Reload this Page >

My vacectomy ended in frostbite. A public service announcement. RE culd de sacs

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-09-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I questioned whether to put this here or not, as it is quite embarassing. But, what the hell. Some of this was in an earlier thread, but most of it was withheld until now. I wish it had happened to someone else, but it happened to me.....

Now friends, let me tell you a story of heatache and woe!

2 weeks ago I went in for a vasectomy, since we just had our 3rd child. The doctor told me I bled more than usual, so I should expect more swelling, etc. I would take a few more days than ordinary to heal. Make sure you keep it iced. No problem...I had sent the wife and kids away for a week, so I could sit at home, watch tv, and ice my balls. That was on a Friday, and I woke up Saturday at 2 am to notice that my ice pack was completely melted. I'm a little groggy, and the vicodin likes me, but I get up and go in to get another ice pack. I grab one from the freezer, and didn't take notice that my balls were still a little wet from condensation from the old pack. The moment I touch the ice pack to my balls, it freezes to it, just like the little kid's tongue to the light pole in A Christmas Story. I try to take it away, but that produces some pain, and it is stuck, so I put my thinker to work on a situation. But almost immediately, it starts to burn from the intense cold. I start cupping water from the sink in one hand and throwing it down my pants. It isn't working nearly as fast as the freezing is freezing. I end up ripping the ice pack from my balls, and a fair amount of skin came off with it.

Okay, so some more ice and vicodin, and I go back to sleep. I continue to ice it for days. Now here is something I have never been told or heard in my like. It seems like common sense, but like I said, it just never came up. Supposedly you should never ice something for more than 20 minutes out of any hour, and you shouldn't have the ice directly on your skin (that part I figured out). So since things were not feeling better from having the ice pack ripped off my balls, I kept it iced. To be precise, I kept it iced for 8 days straight with barely any time without ice. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I had managed to give myself somewhere between a stage 2 and stage 3 case of frostbite on my balls. On the 8th day, I decide my pain is due to the skin ripping off and staying moist. It made sense that it would not heal well in those conditions. So I decide to take the pain and leave the ice off. If you google "frostbite" you will find that the thawing period is one of the most painful things people endure. In fact, they say it should only be done in a hospital or facility that can handle it...and the person is generally given opiates to deal with the pain. Well, for the next 3-5 hours I laid on my couch screaming at the top of my lungs from the pain. That isn't hyperbole, I literally screamed at the top of my lungs. I also manage to swell up to larger than the size of a baseball, and if it weren't so painful I would have been proud.

It is a few days later that I start to suspect frostbite, and finally go to the emergency room to have it confirmed. Again, if you google "frostbite scrotum" you will really only find information on bulls that get it in the winter. I may be the first documented case. So a large scab forms and covers about 80% of my sack. The doc says that the only thing to do is to let it heal naturally, and there shouldn't be any lasting damage. That will only take 4 to 6 weeks. So I am in the first week of that time frame, and this large, scrotum shaped scab is a thing of wonder. Imagine you had most of your balls cast in plaster. Then someone made a mold out of glass that would sit on your balls perfectly. But at the last moment, they decided that all the edges of the glass mold should be broken and sharpened. That is what it is like. Any given shift will lead to nice tender ball skin running into sharp shards of glass.

So as a public service announcement, please only ice things for a maximum of 20 minutes out of every hour, and never place ice directly on the skin.

Any Otter docs deal with frostbite? Email me.
Old 08-09-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Ouch. That is just ouch to the nth degree. I know there's no next time, but maybe just using your nutsack as a cozy for your cold brewski would be better served.
Old 08-09-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Btw...this will be archived. I remember a thread 5-6 years ago (not on here) where this kid put icy hot on his sack and he was posting to find out how to make it stop burning. People were telling him all sorts of stuff to dip his balls into. I think this thread can be like that.

20 ON, 20 OFF. I think you'll remember that for the rest of your life, but everyone else remember it so you don't get scabby balls like kvrdave. kvrScab?

-p
Old 08-09-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
this sounds like a perfect project for the nip/tuck doctors to work on.
Old 08-09-06, 12:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I questioned whether to put this here or not, as it is quite embarassing. But, what the hell. Some of this was in an earlier thread, but most of it was withheld until now. I wish it had happened to someone else, but it happened to me.....

Now friends, let me tell you a story of heatache and woe!

2 weeks ago I went in for a vasectomy, since we just had our 3rd child. The doctor told me I bled more than usual, so I should expect more swelling, etc. I would take a few more days than ordinary to heal. Make sure you keep it iced. No problem...I had sent the wife and kids away for a week, so I could sit at home, watch tv, and ice my balls. That was on a Friday, and I woke up Saturday at 2 am to notice that my ice pack was completely melted. I'm a little groggy, and the vicodin likes me, but I get up and go in to get another ice pack. I grab one from the freezer, and didn't take notice that my balls were still a little wet from condensation from the old pack. The moment I touch the ice pack to my balls, it freezes to it, just like the little kid's tongue to the light pole in A Christmas Story. I try to take it away, but that produces some pain, and it is stuck, so I put my thinker to work on a situation. But almost immediately, it starts to burn from the intense cold. I start cupping water from the sink in one hand and throwing it down my pants. It isn't working nearly as fast as the freezing is freezing. I end up ripping the ice pack from my balls, and a fair amount of skin came off with it.

Okay, so some more ice and vicodin, and I go back to sleep. I continue to ice it for days. Now here is something I have never been told or heard in my like. It seems like common sense, but like I said, it just never came up. Supposedly you should never ice something for more than 20 minutes out of any hour, and you shouldn't have the ice directly on your skin (that part I figured out). So since things were not feeling better from having the ice pack ripped off my balls, I kept it iced. To be precise, I kept it iced for 8 days straight with barely any time without ice. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I had managed to give myself somewhere between a stage 2 and stage 3 case of frostbite on my balls. On the 8th day, I decide my pain is due to the skin ripping off and staying moist. It made sense that it would not heal well in those conditions. So I decide to take the pain and leave the ice off. If you google "frostbite" you will find that the thawing period is one of the most painful things people endure. In fact, they say it should only be done in a hospital or facility that can handle it...and the person is generally given opiates to deal with the pain. Well, for the next 3-5 hours I laid on my couch screaming at the top of my lungs from the pain. That isn't hyperbole, I literally screamed at the top of my lungs. I also manage to swell up to larger than the size of a baseball, and if it weren't so painful I would have been proud.

It is a few days later that I start to suspect frostbite, and finally go to the emergency room to have it confirmed. Again, if you google "frostbite scrotum" you will really only find information on bulls that get it in the winter. I may be the first documented case. So a large scab forms and covers about 80% of my sack. The doc says that the only thing to do is to let it heal naturally, and there shouldn't be any lasting damage. That will only take 4 to 6 weeks. So I am in the first week of that time frame, and this large, scrotum shaped scab is a thing of wonder. Imagine you had most of your balls cast in plaster. Then someone made a mold out of glass that would sit on your balls perfectly. But at the last moment, they decided that all the edges of the glass mold should be broken and sharpened. That is what it is like. Any given shift will lead to nice tender ball skin running into sharp shards of glass.

So as a public service announcement, please only ice things for a maximum of 20 minutes out of every hour, and never place ice directly on the skin.

Any Otter docs deal with frostbite? Email me.

So no abnormal sex yet?

Be glad that your balls were able to take it. Under direct contact with ice for such a long time..... I am no doctor but I think you were probably close to kill your balls for good.

Good luck and hopefully you will have a speedy recovery
Old 08-09-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stuck stuck STUUUUCK!

edit: damn, I went and posted the pic before I read the part where he said it was just like the kid in A Christmas Story

Last edited by Roto; 08-09-06 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-09-06, 12:52 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm lauging on the inside, I assume its almost more effective than the vasectomy?
Old 08-09-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Wife: You should probably get a vasectomy since we don't plan on having any more children.
Me : http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=473999 !!!!
Old 08-09-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elperdido
Be glad that your balls were able to take it. Under direct contact with ice for such a long time..... I am no doctor but I think you were probably close to kill your balls for good.
It was ironic to read that one of the side effects might be sterility.
Old 08-09-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 217 Likes on 166 Posts
We're going to need pictures.

(Somebody had to say it...)
Old 08-09-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Whatever you do, don't eat the scab!
Old 08-09-06, 01:17 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wherever dogs go when they die, I'm sure there's a huge party going on right now
Old 08-09-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.

F-in Dave
Old 08-09-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"So if you stand here longer than 20 minutes your balls will swell up this big."

Last edited by nazz; 08-09-06 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-09-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-09-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So did the nurse give you a handjob before the vasectomy or not?
Old 08-09-06, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
kvrfrostysadsacks

Just drink a lot of KeyLight over the next month.
Old 08-09-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

User title change for Kvrdave please.

Switch to: Numbnuts VP of Otterville
Old 08-09-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have nothing to say. I guess that's why you're not President.
Old 08-09-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry kvrdave. Hell of a story.
Old 08-09-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're screaming in intense pain for several hours, and your balls are the size of baseballs... and it's several days later before you go to the emergency room???

Dude, I'm calling 911 every time my hushpuppies get bounced the wrong way.
Old 08-09-06, 07:24 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Dave,

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Your pal,

wendersfan

P.S.:

Old 08-09-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I also manage to swell up to larger than the size of a baseball, and if it weren't so painful I would have been proud.

Dave, this one will go down in history.
Old 08-09-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm laughing and crying at the same time. Get well, soon, kvrfros-, er, kvrdave.
Old 08-09-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OWIE, OWIE, OWIE, OWIE.....OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some things other guys aren't meant to read !!!!!!

Good luck healing Snowballs....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.