DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   YEAT: My eBay account was hijacked!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/472365-yeat-my-ebay-account-hijacked.html)

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-22-06 07:34 PM

YEAT: My eBay account was hijacked!!!

Well, i got an e-mail stating that i listed some items. Apprarently someone hijacked my account and listed 20+ items. I have already contacted ebay and informed they removed the items, changed my password and what not. i have also changed my e-mail password. Is there anything else i should do?

Preacher 07-22-06 07:52 PM

How did they get into your account?
Did someone know it or it was available/written somewhere?

Any more of your information they could have seems the best question.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-22-06 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Preacher
How did they get into your account?
Did someone know it or it was available/written somewhere?

Any more of your information they could have seems the best question.

i don't know how they got my info. i didn't have my password written down anywhere. they didn't change any personal info on ebay (or the password, for that matter). and they didn't change my e-mail password either.

i checked all my cc's for any unauthorized charges, but i didn't see any (so far, at least)

Cygnet74 07-22-06 10:39 PM

exact same thing happened to me on friday. no changes to my account, just 27 listings for fake chanel handbags. i'll post here if anything else happens (unauthorized credit card activity, etc.)

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-22-06 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
exact same thing happened to me on friday. no changes to my account, just 27 listings for fake chanel handbags. i'll post here if anything else happens (unauthorized credit card activity, etc.)

sounds like the same guy that got me. i had like 21 chanel listings. guess the guy liked you more :(

Buford T Pusser 07-22-06 11:40 PM

I didn't get any Chanel listings. :(

X 07-22-06 11:47 PM

YEAT?

A Scandanavian Seafarer's greeting?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-22-06 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by X
YEAT?

since i obviously check the spelling of my titles before i post, i guess it'll have to be...

yet ebay, another thread?

The Cow 07-22-06 11:54 PM

Did you check to see if they are indeed actual listings?

I've had a bunch of scam eBay emails about posting stuff that I haven't trying to get me to click on their links in the email (which try to get me to post info).

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-22-06 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Did you check to see if they are indeed actual listings?

I've had a bunch of scam eBay emails about posting stuff that I haven't trying to get me to click on their links in the email (which try to get me to post info).

yes, they where actual listings. i saw the title of the e-mail, so i went to the ebay page, and logged in and checked the items that i had for sale.

The Cow 07-23-06 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
yes, they where actual listings. i saw the title of the e-mail, so i went to the ebay page, and logged in and checked the items that i had for sale.

wow, that is messed up.

Did you look to see how he set up the pay for the items for sale? I don't get how the hacker would have gotten anything out of this yet.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-23-06 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
wow, that is messed up.

Did you look to see how he set up the pay for the items for sale? I don't get how the hacker would have gotten anything out of this yet.

it looked like the standard paypal payment. i don't think he got anything yet, but it looked like a 24 hour auction. i'm guessing that he was hoping that i didn't check my e-mail on the weekend, so he could sell it, get a few bux in paypal, and cash out before anyone was the wiser.

nazz 07-23-06 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by X
YEAT?

Some good may come of this eBay scam yet.

A new Otterism....

YEAT! :lol:

JP5683 07-23-06 03:28 AM

This happened to me about six months ago... I guess my old password was just too easy to hack, it was only four characters...

I posted about it then...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=450754

Buford T Pusser 07-23-06 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JP5683
This happened to me about six months ago... I guess my old password was just too easy to hack, it was only four characters...

I posted about it then...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=450754

What was the password?

ebay?

5683?

fuck?

shit?

marty888 07-23-06 09:36 AM

Same thing happened to me last November. A regular buyer of mine noticed something strange and contacted eBay on my behalf (I was on an "eBay break" for Thanksgiving with no active listings). Somebody had hacked my account, and so instead of selling CDs, VHS and DVDs (just about the only things I ever sold on eBay in 5 years), I had listings for some heavy-duty farm equipment.

Good thing eBay closed down those auctions immediately - how the hell do you ship a tractor?

Anyway, it took about a week to get it all straightened out with new password, etc.

Bushdog 07-23-06 09:41 AM

Were you retarded enough to make your password something like "Password"???

zuffy 07-23-06 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What was the password?

ebay?

5683?

fuck?

shit?

audi?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-23-06 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bushdog

no, i didn't do something that stupid. my password has letters and numbers in it, and trust me, it's not something that someone just guessed.

Bushdog 07-23-06 10:06 AM

Is it the same password you use here? You and the other guy getting hit make me wonder if it was grabbed off of an "in common" website.

NotThatGuy 07-23-06 10:15 AM

btw...it should be YAET.

-p

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-23-06 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
btw...it should be YAET.

-p

read post # 8 :p

NotThatGuy 07-23-06 11:07 AM

I CAN'T READ!!!!!

:(

-p

Buford T Pusser 07-23-06 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy
audi?

:eek:

That's one of my passwords at work.

Bandoman 07-23-06 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog

No one is that stupid.