DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   YEAT: My eBay account was hijacked!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/472365-yeat-my-ebay-account-hijacked.html)

Buford T Pusser 09-23-06 12:32 AM

I have not had a problem so I must be smart enough not to fall for the phishing scams. For shame on the rest of you.

AndyDL 09-23-06 12:50 AM

Phishing e-mail or not, eBay isn't doing enough to help its customers out with these situations. (and there seem to be a lot of 'em)

After talking with somebody in the Live Chat, the eBay rep assured me that credits would be issued and showed me how to permanently close my account.

About 3 days later now, I go to permanently close my account and it still says I owe a balance of $14 something dollars. WTF.

Oh, and I contacted one of my local news stations. Channel 12 News here in Phoenix. A reporter responded...

"Andy, we just did this story. My account was hacked too."

ahahaha.

DVDFreaker 09-23-06 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by AndyDL
Phishing e-mail or not, eBay isn't doing enough to help its customers out with these situations. (and there seem to be a lot of 'em)

After talking with somebody in the Live Chat, the eBay rep assured me that credits would be issued and showed me how to permanently close my account.

About 3 days later now, I go to permanently close my account and it still says I owe a balance of $14 something dollars. WTF.

Oh, and I contacted one of my local news stations. Channel 12 News here in Phoenix. A reporter responded...

"Andy, we just did this story. My account was hacked too."

ahahaha.

Ebay pisses me off, my account was hacked too and I did pay for the sellers' fees $18.81 but after I paid it, they won't let me have my account back, I changed the password and everything..stupid E-Bay

exm 09-25-06 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I have not had a problem so I must be smart enough not to fall for the phishing scams. For shame on the rest of you.

I never replied to the phising emails and my passwords are secure (and different). Still, my account got hijacked a couple of months ago. So there IS/WAS a security breach at eBay itself. They did, however, help me clean up th e mess on my account and I received a credit for all fraudulent listings.

yeat 09-30-06 02:20 PM

yeat.

im from newburyport.

Alvis 10-18-06 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by exm
I never replied to the phising emails and my passwords are secure (and different). Still, my account got hijacked a couple of months ago. So there IS/WAS a security breach at eBay itself.

I believe that eBay has a security address and they need to address it. I just checked my account because I put something up for auction yesterday. Low and behold, I see that I have two messages telling my I've had Chanel handbags pulled for trademark misuse.

My password is now so freakin' hard I have to keep it in a password storage program. I used the password generator at Steve Gibson's sight.

They need to straighten this shit out. :mad2:

Edit: Looks like they were old message from around the time the first, and apparently only, incident happened. Still, funny how I haven't noticed them before.

BDB 01-08-07 12:59 AM

I'll bump this as everything described above happened to my account on 12-28. Ebay suspended my account and killed all the auctions, the only 3rd party auth I had was AuctionWorks. I just removed it.

boc4ever 01-08-07 07:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up... I got screwed again...even after changing my passwords...they have some serious security issues...

sracer 02-23-07 03:37 PM

eBay and its unpaid toadies have denied that eBay accounts have been hacked by someone hitting the server directly. They claimed that it was dumb people falling for phishing emails that compromised their accounts. Here's an article that offers some proof that eBay systems have been hacked directly.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02...strikes_again/

adamblast 02-23-07 05:43 PM

I've certainly never, ever directly clicked any ebay-like email links.

There was a huge epidemic of hacked accounts last fall, and not only around here at DVDTalk. I was surprised that I never heard it in the mainstream media, it was so big. Sadly, it sounds like ebay was never really held accountable.

chente 03-22-07 02:15 AM

Just got hit for 46 new postings. At least they were dvd sets and not purses. Notified Ebay, changed password, cancelled all the listings. Checked my third party authorizations and sure enough

You have authorized the following third party applications to perform certain actions on eBay on your behalf.
ChannelAdvisor Services (created Aug-16-06) Revoke this authorization
Kyozou (created Sep-22-06) Revoke this authorization
Bonfire Media LLC (created Dec-25-06) Revoke this authorization
eBay Turbo Lister (created Mar-21-07)

canceled of of them.

Bastards.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 03-26-07 06:35 PM

arg! just checked today, and somehow, more third-party authorizations popped up.

ChannelAdvisor Services (created Nov-17-06)
Andale (created Dec-16-06)

rw2516 03-26-07 07:22 PM

Had my ebay account hijacked last fall. Just changing your password won't fix it. Whoever gets into your account just leaves a computer logged in so even though you change the password they can continue to list items for sale on your account because they don't have to relog with the new password. I had to voluntarily suspend my account for 48 hours, they give up after awhile and go on to someone else.

xiane 04-26-07 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
My account was hacked on Friday. It was also an account I haven't used for a long time. The person listed about 20 DVD box sets (Friends, 24, Star Trek, etc.).

Thankfully I got the listing confirmations in my email and I was able to cancel the auctions right away and report it to ebay. I changed my password and everything so I am hoping it safe now, but it definitely made me wonder how on earth they got my account info. Sounds like there is just a rash of these going around.

I just had the same thing happen to me. Whoever it is was selling DVD sets. Luckily they didnt manage to change my email and I check it regularly so I caught it right away but I'm frantic about how they got into my account in the first place. I'm very, very careful about phising mails and such. Did anyone find out how they managed this?