DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   YEAT: My eBay account was hijacked!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/472365-yeat-my-ebay-account-hijacked.html)

costanza187 08-05-06 12:25 PM

My ebay account got hacked too (my secondary account)! What is SO weird is, this was an account that had been inactive for about 2 years. Email address had not been used in several months. For some odd reason I checked my yahoo acount the other day. I found all these notices from ebay saying my account was suspended and then the next page was full of Prada bags that had been listed. All were listed as GDP currency instead of US dollars.

This kind of coincided with my credit card on file expiring. I honestly do not know HOW, WHY, or WHERE somebody got my password because that account had not been used in at least 2 years, and the email probably a year as far as sending anything, but I would check it every few months.

nazz 08-05-06 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by HN
yeat

YEAT! :wave:

Dabaomb 08-05-06 09:42 PM

my EBAY account got hacked on 7-31-06. Someone listed 28 pairs of Chanel Sunglasses for sale for abour $39.99 each.

3 were purchased with Buy it now. I had to wait for an online chat with EBAY for about 30+ minutes but he cancelled all of the auctions and refunded the listing fees.

Nosmo Rex 08-05-06 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by costanza187
My ebay account got hacked too (my secondary account)! What is SO weird is, this was an account that had been inactive for about 2 years. Email address had not been used in several months. For some odd reason I checked my yahoo acount the other day. I found all these notices from ebay saying my account was suspended and then the next page was full of Prada bags that had been listed. All were listed as GDP currency instead of US dollars.

This kind of coincided with my credit card on file expiring. I honestly do not know HOW, WHY, or WHERE somebody got my password because that account had not been used in at least 2 years, and the email probably a year as far as sending anything, but I would check it every few months.

Same thing happened to me today, though my CC had not expired. Same kind of crap was listed.

Patman 08-06-06 12:03 AM

My friend also got his Ebay account hacked recently, and the perps also listed handbags for auction.

Does anyone think there's some Ebay backdoors that someone is using to hack accounts, rather than just being able to ascertain the passwords?

costanza187 08-06-06 12:32 AM

The strange thing with mine is the account had been inactive for 2 years. I cannot remember the last time I had logged in, the last feedback was in 04.

AndyDL 08-06-06 02:18 AM

I had the same problem a week ago with the same shit that everyone else is posting about (Chanel handbags) but haven't used my eBay account in at least 1 year.

Why is everyone talking about passwords, there's no way this happened through cracking passwords. Somebody must've found a backdoor in eBay or something.

Anybody know what happened?

CaptainMarvel 08-06-06 02:28 AM

Somebody got into my account as well, but they sold Nike sneakers instead of handbags. What the hell is up with eBay?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 08-06-06 03:54 PM

weird how so many people are getting their ebay accounts hacked into recently.

Alvis 08-06-06 07:32 PM

Fuck!

Someone just listed around 25 Chanel bags and glasses on my account.

I've canceled the auctions and reported it to ebay, changed my passwords, yada, yada, yada.

WTF?

Alvis 08-06-06 07:58 PM

Ebay took care of it and quickly. Thank goodness.

outcastja 08-06-06 08:36 PM

Just came back home and my account was hacked too. They were selling Chanel glasses. Unfortunetly there were two people that used BIN. I e-mailed the buyers telling not to pay, and currently canceling the listings, which is a pain.

Jadzia 08-06-06 09:24 PM

My account was hacked on Friday. It was also an account I haven't used for a long time. The person listed about 20 DVD box sets (Friends, 24, Star Trek, etc.).

Thankfully I got the listing confirmations in my email and I was able to cancel the auctions right away and report it to ebay. I changed my password and everything so I am hoping it safe now, but it definitely made me wonder how on earth they got my account info. Sounds like there is just a rash of these going around.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 08-06-06 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by outcastja
Just came back home and my account was hacked too. They were selling Chanel glasses. Unfortunetly there were two people that used BIN. I e-mailed the buyers telling not to pay, and currently canceling the listings, which is a pain.

just contact e-bay through their live chat thingy. they'll cancel all the listings, refund all the money, and send notices to the buyers. no need to spend your time cancelling each auction, and contacting the buyers.

SonOfAStu 08-07-06 09:17 AM

Yep, got me too. I opened my email yesterday and there were 7 listing confirmations for RACING BICYCLES. All were listed in pounds instead of dollars. Rather than seeming like someone hacked into my account, it looked more to me like some tried to legitimately list these items and a glitch in ebay listed them on my account. No kind of malicious activity to be found. So I changed my passwords, ebay and email.

Strange things are afoot on ebay.

mrpayroll 08-07-06 12:58 PM

I woke up last Thursday Aug 3rd to an e-mail from EBay with the heading 'TKO NOTICE: Restored Account - [email protected]'. Of course I first thought it was an phishing e-mail trying to get my EBay information, so I logged onto Ebay's site, or at least I tried to. Sure enough, my password would not work.

Now I was a little worried. I got another e-mail showing that about 50 of these auctions '110017019918 World of Warcraft 300-1500 Gold WOW Money USEU' were removed. They were also in British Pounds. I was able to reset my password and had to talk with a live person to get everything fixed correctly.

Ebay handled it very well, but I wonder who did this and if it was the same people behind this, that affected all of us.

I've been on the Internet (AOL in the beginning) since 1993 and this is the first time this has ever happened to me regarding my password.

Chris

Nosmo Rex 08-07-06 01:05 PM

I think Patman hit it on the head. Somebody must have found a backdoor. Look at how many people just here at DVDTalk are reporting this, all within the past month or so. I think something fishy is going on, and eBay isn't publicizing it.

iggystar 08-07-06 02:10 PM

Happened to me too this weekend. Listings for 20 Coach purse. E-bay has handled, but I think they probably need to address this to all the E-bay community.

mrpayroll 08-07-06 03:12 PM

I'm wondering how safe PayPal is? An instant transfer to bogus accounts from hundreds or thousands of accounts could result in hundreds of thousands of dollars or more in losses.

Chris

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 08-07-06 03:22 PM

someone is probably harvesting email addresses from dvdtalk and checking to see if they have ebay accounts attached to the email addy.

Don Homer 08-07-06 04:31 PM

My account apparently got hacked while I was on vacation last week. I got back Wednesday and tried to log into ebay and my password didn't work. Checked my email and found one from eBay telling me my password had been compromized. I don't know if there were any listings under my username. If there were they were removed before I got found out about this. This is scary, it is happening to too many people. EBay needs to address this immediately. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

twikoff 08-07-06 05:33 PM

someone got into mine the other day
i came home and noticed 2 auctions show up in my email.. so I log into ebay, and there they are..
so I get on ebay's live chat and report it..
I pointed out that the person was ACTIVELY posting auctions under my account at that exact minute.. i could see the new ones coming in..
they did the standard.. froze my account, scrambled my password.. asked me to change my email password (they it on my email being hacked, not my ebay.. but there were no signs of that)... then they read the security stuff and sent me the link to reset my password.. They also killed off all the auctions and reimbursed the listing fees that had been accumulated..

The entire process only took about 5 minutes.. and that included the ebay chick calling me on the phone to verify my identity.. very smooth process :up:

Alvis 08-07-06 05:51 PM

I thought all was well. Now my account has been suspended for 'trademark misuse' for the items that I did not list and that they reimbursed me the listing fees for. Does one hand not know what the other is doing?

Colleen 08-08-06 10:00 AM

Count me in, too. We have a smaller thread in the Store Forum about it:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=473073

I agree that there's a backdoor somewhere that's being actively exploited (which is a big relief to me for my personal accounts' security). I ALSO agree that Ebay needs to address this publicly, but I'm sure they're too busy working on the spin to keep up their "secure" image.

Someone should start a poll to count who's been hacked so far!

NC-36 08-08-06 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I woke up last Thursday Aug 3rd to an e-mail from EBay with the heading 'TKO NOTICE: Restored Account - [email protected]'. Of course I first thought it was an phishing e-mail trying to get my EBay information, so I logged onto Ebay's site, or at least I tried to. Sure enough, my password would not work.

Now I was a little worried. I got another e-mail showing that about 50 of these auctions '110017019918 World of Warcraft 300-1500 Gold WOW Money USEU' were removed. They were also in British Pounds. I was able to reset my password and had to talk with a live person to get everything fixed correctly.

Ebay handled it very well, but I wonder who did this and if it was the same people behind this, that affected all of us.

I've been on the Internet (AOL in the beginning) since 1993 and this is the first time this has ever happened to me regarding my password.

Chris

Jeez, this is EXACTLY what happened to me - WOW money, British pounds, and all on a transferred half.com account that's been dead for 4 YEARS !!!

Oh, and yesterday ebay sent me a bill for $3.01 on some WOW gold that sold before they froze my account. Screw ebay, they'll get nothing and like it.