Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Can I save my bamboo?

Old 07-17-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can I save my bamboo?

I recently got a plant that is now turning yellow and the "nodule" on the end is dried out. After research I figured out I was giving it too much light so I've taken care of that problem but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help the plant recover. As always, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-17-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art2198.asp

Lucky Bamboo

Bamboo is considered a lucky plant in feng shui. In Chinese, the word for "prayer" and for "bamboo" sound alike, and some believe that a bamboo plant increases the power of prayer.

The popular "lucky bamboo" plant is technically "dracaena sanderia," not an actual bamboo plant. It is still considered very lucky in feng shui.

BUYING A LUCKY BAMBOO
When you select a lucky bamboo plant, be sure that it looks healthy and green, not bruised. If it's in soil, the soil should not be dry. In pebbles and water, make sure that the stalks have some roots.

Traditionally, it's best to select a plant with three or eight stalks; both are lucky numbers in feng shui. If your plant has eight stalks, it's ideal for two of them to be curly.

When you bring your plant home, let it sit in a bright area near a window, but not in direct sunlight. Unless the water level if very low (less than half way to the top of the pebbles), do not add water for at least two days. Allow the plant to get used to its new home.

If your lucky bamboo was planted in soil, be careful not to overwater it, but do not allow the soil to dry out entirely; keep it evenly moist.

To enhance your plant's good luck, tie the stalks together with a red ribbon or a red thread. However, be certain not to tie them too snugly; lucky bamboo can bruise easily.

Once your lucky bamboo has had a chance to rest after its journey to its new home, it's okay to water it and to move it to wherever you plan to display it.

PETS AND LUCKY BAMBOO
Some varieties of dracaena--the family of plants that include lucky bamboo--are poisonous to pets. So, if you're bringing a lucky bamboo plant into your home, be sure to display it where your pets won't be tempted to munch on the leaves.

CARING FOR YOUR LUCKY BAMBOO PLANT
The instructions for growing any variety of dracaena are about the same: This is one plant that can be grown hydroponically, meaning without soil. You can stand a stalk in some pebbles, keep the pebbles covered with water, and the plant will grow.

Indirect sunlight is best, but you can successfully grow a lucky bamboo plant in a bathroom with no windows, if you give it some indirect sunlight once a week or so.

Because this plant thrives on water, it's best to give it good water. Tap water is fine, but put the water in a glass or a bowl and let it sit for 24 hours before adding it to your lucky bamboo. The chlorine and fluoride in tap water will evaporate or neutralize during that time, and your lucky bamboo will be much happier with this purer water.

Most lucky bamboo plants are grown in pebbles and water. Change the water once a month. To keep your plant extra healthy, add a couple of drops of aquarium plant food when you change the water. It's not necessary to do this every month.

If your lucky bamboo has been grown in soil, keep the soil evenly moist. Plant food is not necessary if the plant is getting its nutrients from the soil.

A stalk that turns yellow has often been overfed with plant food, probably at the commercial greenhouse that sold it to the store. (They do this to encourage a spurt of growth, so the plants sell for higher prices.) If your plant is yellow, change the water immediately, and do not give it plant food for a month.

Once the stalk turns yellow, it's very difficult to reverse the damage; if it's clear that you can't save that stalk, remove it immediately. This is for feng shui reasons (no dead plants) and to prevent any plant diseases from spreading to the other stalks.

With proper care, lucky bamboo plants can grow two or three feet tall, and last for years.

TO MAKE THE BAMBOO 'CURL'
If you'd like your stalks of lucky bamboo to 'curl' or grow in spirals, place the plant in a slightly dim area, where there is sunlight coming into the room from one side. (Do not put the plant directly in sunlight, ever.) Over a period of days, your lucky bamboo will seem to "reach" for the light. When it's grown in one direction for a few inches, turn the plant slightly. The plant will grow in the new direction. Keep turning the plant as it grows, and after a couple of months it will have that distinctive spiral.

BAMBOO AND FENG SHUI
Especially in recent years, bamboo plants--including "lucky bamboo"--have been used to enhance prosperity. In fact, some American post offices use bamboo plants in the prosperity corner of each postal clerk's work area. Other businesses display lucky bamboo plants for luck, too.

Symbolically, bamboo represents wood. This makes bamboo--and all plants--especially appropriate in the Family/Security area, as well as the Money corner. Except to balance the elements, it's best not to display bamboo in the Knowledge area. (In BHS feng shui, that's the area on your immediate left as you enter your home.) Otherwise, lucky bamboo can be used in any area of your home to energize that area of the bagua.

LANDSCAPING WITH BAMBOO
For balance, or to soften a pointed corner (called "shar chi") in or outside of your home, bamboo plants can be a great choice. And, in an excessively yin environment, bamboo plants can provide an elegant yang design element.

Bamboo can be grown in damp soil. If willow trees flourish around your home, bamboo will probably do well, too.

SUMMARY
Indoors, "lucky bamboo" can grow in most light conditions, and in a wide variety of temperatures, and it's safe even if you have a "brown thumb" with plants. With the popularity of feng shui, it's easy to find lucky bamboo at most stores that carry plants. The best locations to display your lucky bamboo plans are your Money or Family/Security areas.

Lucky bamboo is also a perfect housewarming gift. Lucky bamboo is "luckiest" if it is received as a gift.
Old 07-17-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's usually far harder to kill bamboo than to save it. Must be a miniature variety? Is it in a pot?
Old 07-17-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Useful Sick-Plant Prayer

Yis'ga'dal v'yis'kadash sh'may ra'bbo, b'olmo dee'vro chir'usay v'yamlich malchu'say, b'chayaychon uv'yomay'chon uv'chayay d'chol bais Yisroel, ba'agolo u'viz'man koriv; v'imru Omein.

Y'hay shmay rabbo m'vorach l'olam ul'olmay olmayo.

Yisborach v'yishtabach v'yispoar v'yisromam v'yismasay, v'yishador v'yis'aleh v'yisalal, shmay d'kudsho, brich hu, l'aylo min kl birchoso v'sheeroso, tush'bechoso v'nechemoso, da,ameeran b'olmo; vimru Omein.

Y'hay shlomo rabbo min sh'mayo, v'chayim alaynu v'al kol Yisroel; v'imru Omein.

Oseh sholom bimromov, hu ya'aseh sholom olaynu, v'al kol yisroel; vimru Omein.

Please note: Vibiana does not have any plants now.
Old 07-17-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Useful Sick-Plant Prayer

Yis'ga'dal v'yis'kadash sh'may ra'bbo, b'olmo dee'vro chir'usay v'yamlich malchu'say, b'chayaychon uv'yomay'chon uv'chayay d'chol bais Yisroel, ba'agolo u'viz'man koriv; v'imru Omein.

Y'hay shmay rabbo m'vorach l'olam ul'olmay olmayo.

Yisborach v'yishtabach v'yispoar v'yisromam v'yismasay, v'yishador v'yis'aleh v'yisalal, shmay d'kudsho, brich hu, l'aylo min kl birchoso v'sheeroso, tush'bechoso v'nechemoso, da,ameeran b'olmo; vimru Omein.

Y'hay shlomo rabbo min sh'mayo, v'chayim alaynu v'al kol Yisroel; v'imru Omein.

Oseh sholom bimromov, hu ya'aseh sholom olaynu, v'al kol yisroel; vimru Omein.

Please note: Vibiana does not have any plants now.

TRANSLATION OF KADDISH

May the great Name of God be exalted and sanctified, throughout the world, which he has created according to his will. May his Kingship be established in your lifetime and in your days, and in the lifetime of the entire household of Israel, swiftly and in the near future; and say, Amen.
May his great name be blessed, forever and ever.
Blessed, praised, glorified, exalted, extolled, honored elevated and lauded be the Name of the holy one, Blessed is he- above and beyond any blessings and hymns, Praises and consolations which are uttered in the word; and say Amen. May there be abundant peace from Heaven, and life, upon is and upon all Israel; and say, Amen.
May there be abundant peace from Heaven, and life, upon us and upon all Israel; and say Amen.
He who makes peace in his high holy places, may he bring peace upon us, and upon all Israel; and say Amen.
Old 07-17-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I first got my mine, I put it in direct sunlight and water it normally but it was turning yellow. Found out, you not suppose to keep it in direct sunlight and you need to cut off the yellow part since it can infect the bamboo. What I did was kept in a warm spot (next to my PC ) and kept the water fresh. After a couple of weeks, it's green again. 1 year later, the leaves grew 14-15"
Old 07-17-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it is "lucky bamboo" (which is not a true bamboo) change the water and pretty much treat it like shit. Keep it in the gloomiest part of your house. pretty much ignore it ( except for keeping water levels up) The damn stuff grows in rocks and water for God's sake.

Its the only plant I have ever kept alive in my house, so its pretty much bullet-proof.
Old 07-17-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once managed to kill an aloe plant so "pretty much bulletproof" doesn't mean you're safe in my apt. I'm going to cut it off below the yellow part and see if I can't get it to regrow. I'll also try to root & save the other portion but it's looking pretty grim for that one.
Old 07-17-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I've killed cacti