Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

BRINKS OR ADT: Which one is better?

Old 07-17-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BRINKS OR ADT: Which one is better?

I am moving to a new house but my parents left the ADT System in their... but i was reading into Brinks and they seem good too.

Which one is the better one?
Old 07-17-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got ADT - I'm happy with it.....

I doubt it really matters much.
Old 07-17-06, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
I've got ADT - I'm happy with it.....

I doubt it really matters much.
I've got Brinks, and I'm happy with it .....

So I agree with Minor Threat, I doubt it matters which company you chose.

Perhaps ADT would be willing to offer you a discount on installation and/or parts because your parents' have an account with them. That might be something that sets the 2 companies apart.
Old 07-17-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ADT is horrible, I would suggest a local security company. At least one that only operates in your own state only. Scarsdale Security is pretty good they are based in NY. ADT is notorius for calling the wrong towns to alert emergency services, when this happens one town must relay it to the other, creating a even larger delayed response. Also I would even suggest if you can get one that contacts directly to your emergency services.
Old 07-17-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to be a social services caseworker of two little girls who were taken from there mother because she abandoned them at a boyfriend's house while she went on a crack binge. In her attempts to get her kids back, she got into therapy and was staying at a recovery house, she also got a job with ADT. Things were going well for a few months until she was found to be acquiring people's alarm codes and robbing their houses for drug money.

That's why I don't pay for an alarm service in my house even though it's wired with ADT.

I know that's not going to happen often, just my experience.
Old 07-17-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

House alarms are like car alarms, when they go off who notices? The one next door to me kept going off all the time because the people did not know how to operate it. The police finally cited them and they disconnected it because of too many false alarms.
Old 07-17-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are good for fire emergencies, if you aren't home or away on vacation or are in your star trek bridge Home Theater and your house is on fire it will automatically alert them and they will respond, sure it might be annoying to get on or two false alarms, but its worth it. It's better then to lose everything you own. For elderly its even better. Some alarm companies have life alert which is a bracelet or necklace they wear and the push of a button alerts an operator who tries to contact you via a speaker outlet through the phone, while notifying 911.